Bicycle-Fi!
Dec 7, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #1,128 of 4,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is20: Yet another bicycle with the shifters in the correct position!!!

Yep, on the brifters 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #1,130 of 4,419
I beat you, the other day, at my school I saw a guy lock a Kuota with a full super record groupset,(looked very shiny, so it's most likely new) with a cable combo lock too. It's crazy how these guys don't care about their $4000+ bikes. I wish I had that kind of money.

Quote:
Funny story, I saw a guy lock a cervelo s1 with full ultegra behind the library at my university... with a cable lock... through just the frame...

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #1,131 of 4,419

Quote:
I beat you, the other day, at my school I saw a guy lock a Kuota with a full super record groupset,(looked very shiny, so it's most likely new) with a cable combo lock too. It's crazy how these guys don't care about their $4000+ bikes. I wish I had that kind of money.

Quote:
Funny story, I saw a guy lock a cervelo s1 with full ultegra behind the library at my university... with a cable lock... through just the frame...

I don't get it either.  The only time I've done that to my bike is when I was waiting for a replacement key from Kryptonite after mine broke in the lock - so I had to use cable only.

The thing about on campus during the day - if it's in a high traffic area - is that there's almost exclusively the opportunist type thieves.  For that particular brand of low-life (in said high traffic area), a cable may be good at stopping 95% of them.  If it's a little out of the way, where people come less frequently... Well then you probably have to worry about the same guy wielding a bolt cutter or perhaps rudimentary lock picking skills - at which point a U-lock or chain with flat-type key is the way to go.

But leave it somewhere for too long, too regularly, or just at night...  You can't stop the pros.  They always will break through - but they need a grinder, cutting torch, or other brutal method to do it.  That's why I keep my bike inside, usually locked up, at night.

I can't imagine living in NYC or other bike theft hot spot, where any place that doesn't have people constantly going by is unsafe for pretty much any bike...  I suppose that's where the whole "spray paint my brand new bike" thing comes into play.  Giving up the brute force prevention method for the stealthy "my bike looks worthless" method.

But luckily, most of us don't have to deal with that.

lol

All this made me think of the ATM episode in Breaking Bad...  Now that was funny.

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #1,132 of 4,419
Dec 8, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #1,134 of 4,419

Quote:
You like????
one of my favorite bikes (of the 25+ I have)

Quote:
Quote:

All Campagnolo 1984 Raliegh Record Ace fixed gear Randoneur

+1 smexy

I love it!  Sweet chain ring - I have a soft spot for those.  The chain looks great too.

I'd make some snide remark about how Suntour shifts better than any Campy, but that of course is irrelevant here...

Also, rockin' the Brooks Pro too, I see!  I see you've got the bigger brass rivets - mine are still brass, but of the smaller type.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #1,137 of 4,419

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #1,139 of 4,419

Quote:
Quote:

those look pretty cool but how much do they compare to zipps, and are those 650's or 700's?
THese look heavy though and that 3-cross looks really janky

Look heavy?  They're under two pounds a pair!  The manufacturer says there's no weight limit either, which is pretty crazy.  We'll see if they're properly designed soon enough...

I bet the cross pattern on the surface of the spokes is just for show - stress on spokes is pretty much exclusively axial.  There's probably axial fibers underneath.

Still, I'm not sure I would ever want CF spokes... For pro racers and the rich, sure...

But otherwise you better hope that you don't get a chip in one of the spokes, or heaven forbid your rear derailleur gets bent or otherwise gets caught on a spoke.  At least Zipps spokes are easily replaceable.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,140 of 4,419

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

those look pretty cool but how much do they compare to zipps, and are those 650's or 700's?
THese look heavy though and that 3-cross looks really janky

Look heavy?  They're under two pounds a pair!  The manufacturer says there's no weight limit either, which is pretty crazy.  We'll see if they're properly designed soon enough...

I bet the cross pattern on the surface of the spokes is just for show - stress on spokes is pretty much exclusively axial.  There's probably axial fibers underneath.

Still, I'm not sure I would ever want CF spokes... For pro racers and the rich, sure...

But otherwise you better hope that you don't get a chip in one of the spokes, or heaven forbid your rear derailleur gets bent or otherwise gets caught on a spoke.  At least Zipps spokes are easily replaceable.

heaven forbid that you get int a catastrophic collision with a curb -_-
on one my my chillest rides, when we hit the end of the ride at a yogurt shop this guy smacks the top of the curb with his mavic ellipses.
left a 1 inch indent -_- but it still spins true lol
those carbon fiber spokes are pretty expensive though plus you cant even replace them you have to rtb to manufactururer to get a new set
plus im not even sure my shop i work at plays around with madfiber.
cool wheelset though,
and ive heard a case where this guy's mij  $100 chain starts rubbing on his HED stingers and eventually cuts through one of his spokes because it wasnt trued after he hit a pothole

Users who are viewing this thread

Back