Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 13, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #1,021 of 4,419
Got this bike off a friend of my parents for FREE, 1982 or 1980 Schwinn Le Tour that is in almost flawless shape aside from some dirt/grease. I really, really want to keep the bike as it is however I'm thinking about replacing the handlebars/brake levels/lines and pads to newer parts because right now the one's on it are so loud and brake in a jerky sort of motion. Probably because all the parts are original on it. Also, got the original booklet!

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #1,022 of 4,419
Maybe just replacing the brakepads would help. Good find, lots more info here, if you haven't seen it already.

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #1,024 of 4,419
Yeh I know replacing the pads and the lines would make a nice difference in regards to the braking however I sort of like the newer style brake levels that have the hoods over them for resting your hands when not in the drop down. Right now with the brake lines running up and out the top of the handlebars the brake knobs dig into the gap between my thumb and pointer finger when riding sitting up. That is the main reason I'm considering changing the handle bars and the brake levels so I could rerun the lines down the handlebars and under the bar tape. This would allow me to use more modern levels with the hoods allowing for more comfortable sitting up riding.

I love the Schwinn Le Tour by the way, it's just such an awesome old bike! I'm considering a new bike but I just don't think I can bring myself to part with it. I sort of want to ditch the old bar foam though because it gets downright NASTY when it's hot and your hands sweat. The foam turns into like a moss sort of consistency and it's horrible! I really want to keep the retro original look of the bike but I don't know if I can deal with that foam :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,025 of 4,419
The Le Tour is  a classic and should not be parked outside and specially in a way the paint may be chipped by laying on a post. I would start by cleaning and lubricating the hubs, headset, and bottom bracket. Then I would replace all the cables and clean lube the portion of the seat-post inserted in the seat tube. Finally I would replace the chain and lubricate the derailleurs.

Jun 13, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #1,026 of 4,419
I would love to not leave it outside or leave it against anything however this is my only bike. Therefore, I need to use it daily as my main mode of transportation so it takes me to and from class, to the mall, to grocery store and what not. I wish I could just keep it somewhere and take it out only on nice days and polish it perfectly but it's my daily use ride. :frowning2: Like I said, wish I could keep it as a classic show piece almost but need to use it every day.

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #1,027 of 4,419
The Schwinn appears to have steel rims. That is your primary problem in improving braking performance. I wouldn't sink a lot (if any) money in to this bike. Just because it is old does not mean it's a 'classic'. If it's getting you from a to b then I'd call it good. It does appear to be in very good shape for it's age and it's quality level. So just keep it clean and the chain lubed and I'm sure it'll give you many more years of reliable service for around town use.  If you are desperate for some modern style 'aero' brake levers then you should be able to pick up some cheap levers which are easily fitted. It would mean cutting that foam off and some new bar tape as well. However, for a ~30 year old bike that was not particularly good quality even in it's day I'm not sure I'd bother. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #1,028 of 4,419

Quote:
The Schwinn appears to have steel rims. That is your primary problem in improving braking performance. I wouldn't sink a lot (if any) money in to this bike. Just because it is old does not mean it's a 'classic'. If it's getting you from a to b then I'd call it good. It does appear to be in very good shape for it's age and it's quality level. So just keep it clean and the chain lubed and I'm sure it'll give you many more years of reliable service for around town use.  If you are desperate for some modern style 'aero' brake levers then you should be able to pick up some cheap levers which are easily fitted. It would mean cutting that foam off and some new bar tape as well. However, for a ~30 year old bike that was not particularly good quality even in it's day I'm not sure I'd bother. 

Not particularly good quality? The employees and mechanics at the 3 different shops I have taken it to have all been drooling over the thing and it's "not particularly good quality"

I know the steel rims are somewhat of the issue but I think the hardened up old brake pads and 30 year old lines probably have something to do with it as well. Those two things could be fixed up a lot cheaper than wheel's and I think would make a pretty nice difference in the braking power/smoothness

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,030 of 4,419
The only real problem with those steel rims is the added weight, unless they are showing signs of rust (especially around the spokes); then safety could be an issue.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #1,031 of 4,419
All I can say is that if mechanics have been drooling over it then I'd advise looking for a different shop. Since probably the late 50's any quality sport oriented bike has had alloy rims. This is not only for reasons of lighter weight and greater strength, but also of braking performance as I mentioned previously.

Getting some new pads and ensuring the cables are in good order is a sensible thing to do. I wasn't advocating buying new wheels. Like I said, it's not a bike that is worth sinking a lot of money into. If you like it and it meets your needs then that is great and the most important thing after all. I'm sorry if I came across harsh in my previous post. 

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,032 of 4,419
I think what singular means is that if it works for you, gets the job done, and is fun for you that's great. On the other hand, it's not something worth upgrading and spending big bucks on. That doesn't mean it's junk or worthless, just that it is what it is.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #1,034 of 4,419

Quote:
If you must leave the bike outside, invest in a serious chain or u-lock, but definitely that little cable lock (or any cable lock) will not do.

Hopefully part of the benefit of having a bike that is not "worth sinking a lot of money into" also isn't worth stealing!

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #1,035 of 4,419
The mechanics I had look it over were not drooling over this "amazing" bike it was more that it was in great shape and a really cool looking retro sort of thing. That is more the impression I got at least. I will probably drop about $50 or so into it to get the brakes fixed up and the cables rerun but other than that I don't think I will be doing much to it. I like the bike a lot and it runs very well so I plan to keep it at least another year or more.

As for getting a better lock, I live in Madison WI which is a huge bike town. My bike is probably one of the least likely to get stolen around here considering that it is often flanked by newer, $1000 bikes that are not locked up any better than it. Really the risk of it getting stolen is incredibly low when it is surrounded almost constantly by significantly better bikes that would be no harder to steal. Heck probably 1/4 the bikes I see around the campus aren't locked at all or are only locked to themselves.

No hard feelings there singular, I didn't take it as you were calling the bike crappy or bad or anything
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back