Bicycle-Fi!
May 31, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #1,006 of 4,419

Quote:
Hey Shimmer congrats! very nice bike. Im sure its gonna be great commuting fun

Thanks, I can't wait!  I have to wait until August when I go back to the US to pick it up..I haven't bought a new bike in like almost 15 years, so I am really excited to be able to keep it in good shape from day 1!

May 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,008 of 4,419
My first, and only non-walmart/junk bike. I use it for everything, so the fenders are great for not getting dirty going to class or riding through puddles and grass for fun
bigsmile_face.gif

May 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #1,009 of 4,419
Bruce and the bike are both just fine :)
It took me a while to get the hang of a fixed gear bike, and I wouldn't be without one now. If you've got a flip flop hub on your single speed bike I think you should try it, you just may love it.

Drew

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #1,011 of 4,419

Quote:
Here is my on-one 69er.

Very nice.  I didn't know On One makes carbon forks.  I still love my Il Pompino.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #1,012 of 4,419
yep. I think they are making them for some time now. On one's all bikes are very nice.

I was gonna go for a singular (which I still has an ich for
rolleyes.gif
) but ended up with this one.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #1,014 of 4,419
Very nice Jackson as well.  The color scheme has a Ti feel.

I had a geared frame that I was going to 'fix'.  Never got around to it and ended up selling it.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,015 of 4,419
thanks

its addictive once you get on a fixed:)

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #1,016 of 4,419
Hey Tamu - nice 69er - you might want to try a bit shorter fork though possibly. That looks like the OO 29er fork which is 470mm, if you use a ~440mm fork (26" suspension corrected) it will drop the front end a bit and make the handling much nicer IME. Sweet Jackson as well. 

Glad you like the look of the Singulars - if you ever fancy having a ride just drop me a line.

Sam

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #1,017 of 4,419

Quote:
^Obsolete technology, inefficient, basically a kid's bike - and a poor one at that. Even if you just want to occasionally ride it on weekends it still most likely won't be worth the money you pay for it. Save up and get a real bike - lots of good options available if you're willing to buy used. Also dealers often have discounts on previous year models.

I think you'll find a lot of people who ride singlespeed and fixed gear bikes have 'real' (by this I'm assuming you mean geared?) bikes as well and just prefer riding with one gear - for a variety of reasons. I have 7 bikes I use personally on a regular basis, only one of them has gears. It's also not necessarily true to assume singlespeeds are cheaper... 

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #1,018 of 4,419
thanks sam.
the on-one I have is the summer season with angles for longer travel forks. thats why I got the longer fork.

my next bike will be a singular for sure.. I Just dont know when..

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #1,019 of 4,419
Woo hoo..bike got delivered, but didn't come with front light and rack like it said on the website.  The shop had made a typo and had the 2009 Jamis Commuter 4.0 specs for the 2008.  The shop (Bicycle Bananas) made it good by giving me $100 to spend on a rack and lights.  Dropped the price to $499.99 for Shimano Alfine IGH, decent disc brakes, and great components.  I am thinking about replacing the saddle because it is kind of big and bulky, and I usually like a more sporty saddle.  I can't wait to pick up my bike in August..the wait is killing meee!! 

I must recommend Bicycle Bananas as a shop because they dealt with my problem VERY quickly and appropriately, and put together and shipped the bike flawlessly.  They have some great deals on 2008/2009 Jamis models if you can find the right size.

Those fixed gear bikes look sleek.  I have never had the chance to try one out..maybe if I can pick up a decent cheap steel frame here in Germany I may have to try to put my own together.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,020 of 4,419
All these bikes are too clean and shiney, if its not covered in dirst and grime its wasted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back