Bicycle-Fi!
Mar 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #916 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steelman roadbike with Ultegra 10 kit, OddsandEndos wheelset. I've met Brent Steelman and he makes GREAT steel and carbon frames. Talk about old school.
IMG_2212.jpg

Nice. How much does a custom Steelman cost again?

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #917 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by fox au /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got my first full sus bike the other week so heres a pic will take better ones later enjoy

4427595360_c99444a52d_o.jpg

Good lord that thing has some serious suspension travel. It looks like if you landed really hard you could end up with the rear tire in your bum. The travel on the front fork looks pretty long too. Is that bike specialized for downhill or jumping off ten foot cliffs or something?

Or maybe the travel isn't all that long. I'm not a mountain bike person after all.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #919 of 4,419
ye the bikes has a bit a of travel on it at the front it has 180mm while at the rear i have it set at about 180mm.

the bike is design for downhill/freeride/slopestyle use but it also pedals good so u could use it for some all mountain stuff

heres the link for the bike click here

Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good lord that thing has some serious suspension travel. It looks like if you landed really hard you could end up with the rear tire in your bum. The travel on the front fork looks pretty long too. Is that bike specialized for downhill or jumping off ten foot cliffs or something?

Or maybe the travel isn't all that long. I'm not a mountain bike person after all.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #920 of 4,419
Complete bike-nut here...

My rides:
- Dahon Vitesse D7HG folding bike (the Commuter)
- Cube SL Road roadbike built up as tourer (the allrounder)
- Specialized Rockhopper (the offroader)
- Challenge Hurricane Sport USS (the recumbent)
- The unnamed weird frankenbike completely built up from parts i found in my shed

And 3 more bikes in parts spread throughout the shed and the space behind the wheeliebin in my backyard...

Planning on another bike project soon, as not one of my bikes is suitable for mounting a child seat. In a few months my wife will give birth to my evil offspring (Coop v2.0) so I will need to have that option in a while...
The Specialized, Cube & Frankenbike will have to go and one bike will replace them all. It's going to be a steel framed 29er, so it will be strong enough to mount different tires and go offroad when I want to, but it will be built up more like a tourer for daily use & those long summer tours...

So if anyone is interested in some bikeparts, Let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #921 of 4,419
Bike-fi is even less possible on a high school budget then head-fi. >.<

Anyway, this last week gave me a couple good chances to discover that my dérailleurs need serious adjustment and that going uphill with a flat rear tire isn't fun.

Oh, and for the record I ride a Cannondale Quick that I love to death.

9qr5_blk.jpg

Thats the same model as mine but mine is from a couple of years ago when they put a carbon fork and a better seat on it. Hell they did quite a lot of cost cutting on it last year.

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #922 of 4,419
@Revo, my dad sports a Quick. -.-

Potential upgrade from Redline Conquest => Specialized Tarmac Elite (then again, rather different applications)

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #924 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I shift from high to low gears (left hand side) on my road bike there's about a 75% chance of the chain falling off. Any recommendations of what can I check for?

1) Get a better bike/deraileurs
2) Don't shift 5 gears at once. Try shifting a few, then shifting a few...etc.
3) Don't shift down under tremendous load. If you know you need to hammer the pedals, shift down them hammer. Don't hammer then shift, you'll definitely drop a chain that way (or wear out your chain/gears quickly)

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #925 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I shift from high to low gears (left hand side) on my road bike there's about a 75% chance of the chain falling off. Any recommendations of what can I check for?

For starters, check cassette, chainrings & chain for wear and if they're worn out, replace them. If they're good, go to the next step.

Second, adjust your derailleurs properly (no use when everything is worn out, so check that first). How to adjust them can usually be found in the manual, if you don't have one, check the website of the derailleurs manufacturer. Or just spend a little money and have your local bike shop take care of this, it isn't hard to do yourself, but it's a pretty precise job and can get pretty annoying.

If that doesn't help, you can take more extreme action, fit a chainguide or jumpstop, but this shouldn't be needed for a roadbike.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #926 of 4,419
Nice bikes! I've got a vintage (20-30 year old) Miyata that's been converted into single speed (all the rage these days, but I've been riding SS before the rage started and when people were telling me that I was dumb for not riding a geared bike). I spray painted it primer, so from afar it look real nice with the red wheels and tires and black frame but up close you can tell it's not in the best of shape.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #927 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For starters, check cassette, chainrings & chain for wear and if they're worn out, replace them. If they're good, go to the next step.

Second, adjust your derailleurs properly (no use when everything is worn out, so check that first).

Always a good idea to keep an eye on drivetrain wear, but I think that is unlikely to be your problem. Almost certainly the front derailleur is incorrectly adjusted, either in position or the limit screws, or possibly both. This is a simple thing to check, so I would do that first before expensive replacement of chain & chainrings. Park tool have excellent on-line guides to basic adjustments such as this. Go here and look at the section on derailleur position and limit screw settings. 'Get a better bike' would be a drastic over-reaction to what is probably a simple adjustment.

Sam

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #928 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguvian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice bikes! I've got a vintage (20-30 year old) Miyata that's been converted into single speed (all the rage these days, but I've been riding SS before the rage started and when people were telling me that I was dumb for not riding a geared bike). I spray painted it primer, so from afar it look real nice with the red wheels and tires and black frame but up close you can tell it's not in the best of shape.
biggrin.gif

I had a 1984-85 Miyata "Shredder" mountain bike and I loved it. I finally got tired of putting money into it to keep it safe and functioning. I sold it at a garage sale late last summer. It was like parting with an old friend...

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #930 of 4,419
Just changed my Dahon Vitesse D7HG folding bike (my current daily commuter) from its winter to summer setup:

Winter:

Summer:

What has changed:

Removed:
- Fenders
- Rear rack
- Bar ends
- Chainguard

Replaced:
- Rusty old factory standard chain with Shimano Ultegra super narrow
- Twist shifter with triggershifter
- Grips Ergon GP1 with something lightweight (temp. until Ergon GP1 Leichtbau arrives)
- Kickstand with lightweight 2-leg kickstand
- Schwalbe Jumpin jack tires with Kenda Kwest tires
- Rack mounted taillight with Planet Bike Superflash
- Suntour folding pedals with VP lightweight pedals

Also shortened the handlebars by 2cm per side, cleaned all the winter muck from all parts (so basicly took apart the whole damn bike :p), lubed everything up and fine tuned everything...

The difference is day & night. From a fairly slow bike that would keep going under almost any circumstances, to a light (for a folding bike w. hubgear) pretty darn quick urban sprinter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back