Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #736 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some advice from people who know a lot about bikes! I want to buy my first ever road bike (only ever had mountain bikes). What are people's opinions on this bike? Revolution Track '09 (£349.99). I'll be using this to get to the gym in the morning, then lectures throughout the day. Will probably average about 4-5 miles a day, relatively flat, not too hilly cycling in the city.

Would it work out cheaper to buy separate components and build my own, or would that be throwing me in at the deep end? My budget is £350. Thanks guys.

Since nobody has chimed in I suppose I will.

Have you ridden it? I wouldn't buy a bike that I haven't test ridden, esp if it were my first road bike, given how hard they can be on your back and hands when fitted poorly.

Does it have to be brand new? Does it have to be a single speed? Do you want to spend all $550ish, or do you want to save as much as possible?

Here are the number's I've been working out for my Fuji, matched with your $550ish budget.

Route 1: (This is what I'm sticking with, until my new rims/tires poop out on me, then I'll prob upgrade)
$45 for original bike
$20 to true existing wheels
$0 use as is, or do a ghetto single speed conversion
$65 total + $500 in pocket

Route2:
$45 for original bike
$150 for flip-flop rear, cogs, lockring, all associated parts, including installation.
$0 remove unused parts. Deraileurs, cables, shifters, etc...
$195 total +$350 in pocket

Route 3:
$45 for original bike
$250 for completely new wheelset /w flip-flop rear, and all associated parts
$25 better handlebars b/c the existing are a bit narrow
$89 comfy saddle (brooks b-17 in my case)
~$100 newer lightweight cranks
$409 total + $40 in pocket

And so on...

Hopefully that's given you some perspective into the used vs new thing. Good luck.

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #737 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by KayoDot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some advice from people who know a lot about bikes! I want to buy my first ever road bike (only ever had mountain bikes). What are people's opinions on this bike? Revolution Track '09 (£349.99). I'll be using this to get to the gym in the morning, then lectures throughout the day. Will probably average about 4-5 miles a day, relatively flat, not too hilly cycling in the city.

Would it work out cheaper to buy separate components and build my own, or would that be throwing me in at the deep end? My budget is £350. Thanks guys.

That is a fixie - apparently good for commuting but I don't have one.
I've never had a problem with Edinburgh cycles either. Sorry, that's the best advice I can give.
I wouldn't bother building your own bike, it'll just end up more expensive.

Maybe get down to a local bike shop and ask them?

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #738 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since nobody has chimed in I suppose I will.

Have you ridden it? I wouldn't buy a bike that I haven't test ridden, esp if it were my first road bike, given how hard they can be on your back and hands when fitted poorly.

Does it have to be brand new? Does it have to be a single speed? Do you want to spend all $550ish, or do you want to save as much as possible?

Here are the number's I've been working out for my Fuji, matched with your $550ish budget.

Route 1: (This is what I'm sticking with, until my new rims/tires poop out on me, then I'll prob upgrade)
$45 for original bike
$20 to true existing wheels
$0 use as is, or do a ghetto single speed conversion
$65 total + $500 in pocket

Route2:
$45 for original bike
$150 for flip-flop rear, cogs, lockring, all associated parts, including installation.
$195 total +$350 in pocket

Route 3:
$45 for original bike
$250 for completely new wheelset /w flip-flop rear, and all associated parts
$25 better handlebars b/c the existing are a bit narrow
$89 comfy saddle (brooks b-17 in my case)
~$100 newer lightweight cranks
$409 total + $40 in pocket

And so on...

Hopefully that's given you some perspective into the used vs new thing. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately buying a new one for about £350 is my only option, as my old bike was stolen, this is an insurance claim for a new one, so I need to get a brand new one of similar value to my old one.

Sep 27, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #739 of 4,419
If you're buying your first road bike I wouldn't recommend a fixed gear. They take some getting used to. I don't know about over there but around here the hipsters ride fixies to be trendy. A decent commuter or hybrid should do you well given the mileage you say you plan to ride. I wouldn't spend very much either. Even lower line bikes from reputable manufacturers like Trek, Specialized, Cannondale and so on, should provide good service for your needs.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #740 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadcykler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're buying your first road bike I wouldn't recommend a fixed gear. They take some getting used to. I don't know about over there but around here the hipsters ride fixies to be trendy. A decent commuter or hybrid should do you well given the mileage you say you plan to ride. I wouldn't spend very much either. Even lower line bikes from reputable manufacturers like Trek, Specialized, Cannondale and so on, should provide good service for your needs.

I'd get the Trek Soho for a hybrid - it's quite nice. Otherwise, I'd just get a CX bike if you're more athletic or need more speed. CX bikes are awesome for commuting.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #741 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone done Fargo Street Climb?

I'm considering it this weekend, if I don't stay at the beach house...

I've heard of that before. Did you do it?

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #742 of 4,419
Cools pix MightyCharlou. Is that elevated woodwork or just structures on your ride? I rode Whistler last month, just before Crankwerx. Not a downhiller, more of a XCer. Great riding, tons of trails near the resort. I did some woodwork but I didn't have the guts to ride the really tricky stuff.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #743 of 4,419
Would agree w/ roadcycler. If you're not used to a fixie, it can be tough. You have to pay attention, even moreso if you don't run brakes (which you should, at least the front).

You may be OK w/ the gearing if you're on flat terrain but you have to decide if you'll be limited w/ one gear. I have 1 fixie and several singlespeeds. The fixie is used sparingly because after years of using it, I'm still not comfortable on it.

In the UK, you might want to check out On One. I have their Il Pompino frame and I think they sell built up bikes. Great bikes.

Sep 27, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #744 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard of that before. Did you do it?

Supposed to one of the steepest climbs in CA....~34% grade...
I had a school business event I had to attend, so I couldn't do it. Plus, SoCal's been extremely hot these days (today it was 95-96F)...it's 9:30 PM right now, and my room is 88F (AC is getting redone). This has got to be the worst 2 months I've ever been through in terms of heat....or else I would bike to downtown LA...it takes 15-20min by car, so it shouldn't be too bad for biking.

Anyone have a Redline? Mine's a Conquest Sport CX/Road Bike.

Sep 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #745 of 4,419
This is my '09 Trek 4300. I have had it only for a month now.
DSCN0479.jpg

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #746 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cools pix MightyCharlou. Is that elevated woodwork or just structures on your ride? I rode Whistler last month, just before Crankwerx. Not a downhiller, more of a XCer. Great riding, tons of trails near the resort. I did some woodwork but I didn't have the guts to ride the really tricky stuff.

Look like it was an elevated woodwork, about 50' long, 8 - 12' high. Most of it lay on the ground now. I've never see it in proper condition. Could'nt find any trail at one end so it might be very old.
The site is about 1km from town in the forest. I'll go back there to see if i can find other vestiges
smily_headphones1.gif

There are no bike park around here. Think the nearest is in Mont Tremblant i'm not even sure if there is one. I'm a trail/mud kind of guy.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #749 of 4,419
Thought you guys might be interested in seeing my new cross bike for the winter.

3953524356_c2a31e1271.jpg

More pics and info here

@kayodot - the Revolution bikes are very good value for the money. For your purposes I'm sure it'll be fine. Building your own (unless you go 2nd hand) is almost definitely going to work out more expensive - and not advisable unless you have some idea of what you are doing.

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #750 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by singular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@kayodot - the Revolution bikes are very good value for the money. For your purposes I'm sure it'll be fine. Building your own (unless you go 2nd hand) is almost definitely going to work out more expensive - and not advisable unless you have some idea of what you are doing.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'm going to be getting it next Wednesday once my payment comes through, coupled with a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit lock. Hopefully it won't get stolen again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back