Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 28, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #166 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find that minivans and utility trucks are the ones that consistently pay no attention or actually try to ride within 10cm of me. anyone else?

Young guys in trucks and young women driving anything seem to have a total disregard around here for cyclists (if they're not actually aiming at you; I think it's their perception of class and pecking order. Old guys in their "baby cars" and guys in the trades with their work trucks are the most openly hostile. But middle-aged women in full-sized SUVs at high speed and on the phone are the ones who really scare me.
eek.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #167 of 4,419
nsx 23, pardon me, I just assumed you were from dog eat dog Sydney, rather than the more genteel Melbourne.

Strongly recommend you keep that chain clean by spraying it with degreaser, hosing it down then, then oiling it with a decent bicycle lubricant, on a regular basis. You'll get much longer life out of your chainring, cluster and chain if you can minimise the amount of grit on the drivetrain. Keep those tyre pressures up by investing in a hand pump with a air pressure gauge like this.

pua204.jpg

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #168 of 4,419
Quote:

that is phenomenal: a beauty in every sense. what saddle is that? my wife wants that exact one to fit her marinoni fango

Thanks for the kind words!

That's a Brooks B-17 standard.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #170 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nsx 23, pardon me, I just assumed you were from dog eat dog Sydney, rather than the more genteel Melbourne.

Strongly recommend you keep that chain clean by spraying it with degreaser, hosing it down then, then oiling it with a decent bicycle lubricant, on a regular basis. You'll get much longer life out of your chainring, cluster and chain if you can minimise the amount of grit on the drivetrain. Keep those tyre pressures up by investing in a hand pump with a air pressure gauge like this.

pua204.jpg

I think I may have to get some sort of luggage rack or front basket to fit stuff onto my bike since the space meant for the drink bottle and cage is currently taken up by a bike lock......

I was thinking of just going for a cheapo $10 pump.

Also, I went out for a long ride as soon as I got home with the bike. Its brilliant, exactly what I was after. I tried some flat-bars whilst I was there, but thought that with no front shocks they were a bit uncomfortable over bumps and rouger surfaces, which I may have to ride across once in a while. The Elwood SE has a Shimano Altus, so although I didn't quiet get the Delore set that I wanted, it should still do the job just fine.

Gotta get a new helmet as well.....My old one is now too small to fit my big head.

EDIT: I'm beginning to understand how much stuff I need to buy: Trip computer, lights, luggage rack, gloves, helmet that fits properly.

Time to do some shopping around
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #172 of 4,419
Hey, does anybody know of a good road bike <$800? I really want to get one but I don't have that much money. Also It would have to be a sort of small frame, as I am about 5' 3''.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #175 of 4,419
i used to had a Mountain bike with suspension integrated into the Seats so i feel like i am on a Motorbike.

it was my Bday gift.... but sadly it got stolen.

then i bought a Racing Bike... put new handlebars on it for aerostreaming.

took part in some races..didnt win..
lost interest in bikes.

I think i ll give it another try.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #176 of 4,419
Quote:

too bad you are in ny. im selling mine now for exactly 900$ cdn. haha. im in toronto. but 5'3? that is short? i thnk mine would not work, im 185 cm tall

ohh.
frown.gif
Well could you recommend me a brand/model?

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #177 of 4,419
I used to have a really good quality Raleigh MTB 21-speed that was given to me as a Birthday Gift. I really took good care of it and regularly serviced it myself. I moved out of my parents place for my new apartment in the middle of winter so I kept the bike in their garage. When I came back to get it in the summer, it wasn't there anymore...it was outside sitting on its side in the dirt (no kickstand), rusted up because it had been left outside in the snow without a tarp. I didn't have time to fix it so it still sits there (under a tarp now though) while I run around on a beater Mongoose MTB.

Oct 8, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #178 of 4,419
if you want cheap and all around good quality but not outstanding design or group: giant are a great choice. you are in the states, so bicycles are cheap. i could buy the same one and pay at least 20-40% more. in fact, a canadian bicycle is often more expensive in canada than the states.

but might as well get the australian giant as they pretty make most bicycles on the planet so... go without the middle man if you want quality and known parts from a good and reputable manufacturer.

giant
cyclocross

Giant Bicycles - TCX 2 (2009)

road

for 800$ but i would stay away: sora are a real pain
Giant Bicycles - Defy 3 (2009)

for a bit more but worth the upgrades:
Giant Bicycles - Defy 1 (2009)

you could mix and match: find a cheap but good frame and customise the group so that you are not stuck with bottom end sora and strange bearings systems.

but if you decide to spend 800$ you have to realise that you are going to get an 800$ bicycle. for that price, you could get a great used bicycle that has medium to older upper end group and wheels and be a far better ride.

if you buy low, it is very unlike headphones where you may or may not notice the difference. with bicycles which you ride and ride and ride, you will want a good group so that shifting, breaking and riding is easy and you feel safe and not stressed. a good frame that is compromise of stiffness, lightness and comfort is good too.

if you have a budget and only hit it you may be sorry. i had a budget of 900$ or so when i bought mine and ended up spending 1800$ and could not be happier. i saw what was available for 800$ tested and came back within about 5 minutes and looked for something better.

with a bit of maintenance, that 1800 or whatever you pay investment can last many many years.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #180 of 4,419
About 18 months ago I had my 2000 GF Tassajara converted to a SS Rigid. Only the frame and headset are original.

I love the bike now and I just need to replace the stem with a shorter , more upright one I already have, then cut the fork tube down. Planning a disc brake upgrade for the front. The bottle cages are annoying, but I needed them to carry water bottles for my kids when we ride the green beltway trails. My mechanic said he weighed it before and after and it lost over 3 pounds in the conversion since a lot of the components are new and lighter than the OE parts. About 1.2 pounds of the weight loss was just the rigid fork.

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Then I was able to snag a 1st Gen Soul Cycles Hooligan frame.
biggrin.gif

IMG_0532.jpg

I haven't decided which direction I'll take it. Either XC front suspension or fully rigid. I have the chainrings and kit to make the GF a geared bike again if I convert it to a SUB via Xtracycle Freeloaders so if I do that, then the Hooligan becomes the rigid SS street bike. I'm working to convince the SWMBO that we need a dedicated Xtracycle on a Surly Big Dummy so I can keep the GF my city SS and build up the Hooligan into the SS XC bike it wants to be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back