Bicycle-Fi!
Dec 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #3,871 of 4,419
Just in time for winter?  
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,873 of 4,419

I bought this gem in the rough,a 63cm '89 Schwinn Tempo frame (love the fork) and threw on some spare parts. Significant chipped paint and surface rust makes me consider stripping the paint completely and go for a clear coated bare metal look.

I don't understand how anyone could ride a bike with the seat like that.

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,875 of 4,419
Dec 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #3,876 of 4,419
Haha, that's harsh... :D

Sure, but I'd rather slide forwards than backwards. It must put a huge strain on your legs, fighting that backward slide no ?

Not just the strain, but the logic of it. I have something between my legs that prevents the use of a seat like that. Lol

Dec 7, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #3,877 of 4,419
Not just the strain, but the logic of it. I have something between my legs that prevents the use of a seat like that. Lol

I have long arms (I am 6'4")and I like to keep them extended while riding. The quill stem is 110mm with maybe a -20 degree angle. The jewels
wink_face.gif
are totally comfortable when I ride.

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #3,878 of 4,419

If you are considering clear coating a metal frame, have a look round your local industrial businesses, you may in fact be able to get a chrome job done very reasonably. I have an 80's Bianchi which is shedding its paint and chroming from a local shop is actually cheaper then getting it stripped and painted. Go figure.

On the "Circus bears on bicycles" theme:)

While all my riding cohorts were on the 29er bigger is bestus bent. I found this little demon at a goodwill shop. Still had all the nubbies on the tyres and looked well underused. So as an experiment we did the MicroGiant:)  Those are in fact 24 inch wheels and the handrail should give you some idea as to the overall size of the creature. What we wind up with here is almost an 18 speed bmx with a front suspension. Wickedly maneouverable what the small wheels lack in roll over for obstacles the jumpability of the bike overcomes. Awsome when you get off and throw it over your shoulder to hop up the 4 flights of stairs at the local locks to pick up the trail up top while others are stumbling and pingponging front wheel/rear wheel up the steps.

Looks pretty cool Hut but I'm not sure how good a bunny hop I could do with that seat at that height
eek.gif
I have found the same deal on chroming, you can actually have one sand blasted and chromed for less than most painters charge anymore
wink_face.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #3,879 of 4,419

Looks pretty cool Hut but I'm not sure how good a bunny hop I could do with that seat at that height
eek.gif
I have found the same deal on chroming, you can actually have one sand blasted and chromed for less than most painters charge anymore
wink_face.gif

I had to make that bloody seatpost:) It goes down a ways for off road work. Old roadie here, we like our butts in the air on tarmac. Besides the things so light you don't need a lot of hop to get her in the air.

The chrome thing really surprised me as well. Much more durable in the long run and you can get that dark smoked looking chrome done as well.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #3,880 of 4,419
I put some fenders on the Vista Alpine

I just got a Fuji Tiara frame.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #3,881 of 4,419
So I was out and about buying new tubes and tires for my son's Felt and I never thought I would see the day when a consumer grade bike would cost 4 times what I paid for my first car
blink.gif
This little jewel right here had an $8200.00 tag on it
eek.gif
It's official, I'm not getting old I am OLD
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #3,882 of 4,419
Apparently, in my life, n = 0 and s = 2. But that's OK, I guess. Just wanted to join in, with shiny new parts (stem and saddle) for a shiny new season. 2011 CAAD10-4:

Now all I need to do is figure out how to justify new shifters, derailleurs, and wheels. Easy!

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #3,883 of 4,419
  So I was out and about buying new tubes and tires for my son's Felt and I never thought I would see the day when a consumer grade bike would cost 4 times what I paid for my first car
blink.gif
This little jewel right here had an $8200.00 tag on it
eek.gif
It's official, I'm not getting old I am OLD
redface.gif

Haha ! 

I'm not actually that offended by the price of high-end bikes, what worries me is the relentless rise of mid and entry level prices. 

I have a hard dealing with the fact that 3K$ bikes, 4 months of our minimum wage, is now being considered as third-choices by resellers. 

Meanwhile, I purchased this (stem has been slammed down since then) :

Some hand-built wheels are on the way !

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #3,884 of 4,419
  Haha ! 

I'm not actually that offended by the price of high-end bikes, what worries me is the relentless rise of mid and entry level prices. 

I have a hard dealing with the fact that 3K$ bikes, 4 months of our minimum wage, is now being considered as third-choices by resellers. 

Meanwhile, I purchased this (stem has been slammed down since then) :

Some hand-built wheels are on the way !

I hear that and have seen it in the shops in my area as well, guess I'll just have to keep plodding along on old trusty. I was looking at a set of wheels the local shop built for a guy the other day and they cost more than trusty
eek.gif
For me they are starting to price themselves out of future business from me
mad.gif

Those are some sweet looking rides gentlemen, old trusty is showing age but still rides strong
wink_face.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,885 of 4,419
  Apparently, in my life, n = 0 and s = 2. But that's OK, I guess. Just wanted to join in, with shiny new parts (stem and saddle) for a shiny new season. 2011 CAAD10-4:

Now all I need to do is figure out how to justify new shifters, derailleurs, and wheels. Easy!

Lovely ride !

What's that crankset ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back