Bicycle-Fi!
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #3,032 of 4,419
Well just rode my bike home in 28*F/-2*C.
Not so bad, but I need some thicker gloves and need to cover my ears somehow with a helment on.  Right now I have a scarf wrapped up to my nose.

I am riding on 1.8" tires, so I should be alright for stability. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #3,033 of 4,419
  Well just rode my bike home in 28*F/-2*C.
Not so bad, but I need some thicker gloves and need to cover my ears somehow with a helment on.  Right now I have a scarf wrapped up to my nose.

I am riding on 1.8" tires, so I should be alright for stability. 

Think softshell Balaclava.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #3,035 of 4,419
I would never EVER ride my bike with ice on the road. Unless you get a fat bike. Even then, it's still dangerous.

Stay safe!

I remember coming off on ice this spring. I was on 23C slicks and came off going along a cycle path in a park. Slid on my side for about 15-20m vaguely holding onto my bike until the path curved and I went into the snow on the grass. Very glad it wasn't on a main road, although I suppose those get gritted. Just got a little bruised.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #3,036 of 4,419
  I didn't choose the ninja life.
The ninja life chose me.

I wear something quite similar from Cannondale for my winter training rides. Truth be told I get stupid hot in the thing (even when the outside temp is around 20F) and end up pulling the lower-face part down to my neck. 

customcoco,
The jacket you need all depends on your riding conditions. What's your climate like? Wet, cold, strong winds, etc.

I live in Michigan so my winter is usually 20F with moderate winds; so a under-armor cold-gear mock shirt, fleece jacket from Champion System, wool socks and booties, and keeping my ears covered is more than enough for a good zone 2-3 ride. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,037 of 4,419
customcoco,
  The jacket you need all depends on your riding conditions. What's your climate like? Wet, cold, strong winds, etc.

I live in Michigan so my winter is usually 20F with moderate winds; so a under-armor cold-gear mock shirt, fleece jacket from Champion System, wool socks and booties, and keeping my ears covered is more than enough for a good zone 2-3 ride. 

Thanks for your reply.

Winter's not very tough around here, the worst we get is -10C with some snow...

I'm basically looking for something to make me stay warm without heating me up the last bit.

I'm doing 20/40 (sportive) KMs everyday but I'm quite new to the sport. Underneath the jacket I'll only wear a merino long base layer, and below some tights.

The thing is that, while it can get quite rainy here, I don't want the bulk of a waterproof jacket.

So I thought of getting a windproof warm vest and maybe a rain jacket just in case.

Does that sound like a good plan to you ?

Thanks

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #3,038 of 4,419
  Thanks for your reply.

Winter's not very tough around here, the worst we get is -10C with some snow...

I'm basically looking for something to make me stay warm without heating me up the last bit.

I'm doing 20/40 (sportive) KMs everyday but I'm quite new to the sport. Underneath the jacket I'll only wear a merino long base layer, and below some tights.

The thing is that, while it can get quite rainy here, I don't want the bulk of a waterproof jacket.

So I thought of getting a windproof warm vest and maybe a rain jacket just in case.

Does that sound like a good plan to you ?

Thanks

-10C is pretty cold in my book 
biggrin.gif

I would go with your idea of a pack-able rain jacket for sudden showers (I have a pearl izumi rain jacket I love that's form-fitting, so very little flap noise) and a wind proof jacket/vest. The nice thing about layering up with a merino base layer and a jacket is that you can always unzip the jacket a bit if you get too hot. See if you can test ride some of your friends gear or hunt on ebay for deal. 

Happy riding!

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #3,039 of 4,419

-10C is pretty cold in my book 
biggrin.gif

I would go with your idea of a pack-able rain jacket for sudden showers (I have a pearl izumi rain jacket I love that's form-fitting, so very little flap noise) and a wind proof jacket/vest. The nice thing about layering up with a merino base layer and a jacket is that you can always unzip the jacket a bit if you get too hot. See if you can test ride some of your friends gear or hunt on ebay for deal. 

Happy riding!

Thanks for your reply !!

Well, I've always been comfortable with colder temperatures. Skiing at -20C with a simple jacket and a shirt underneath sounds perfectly fine to me
biggrin.gif

What I cannot bear though, is that an important cycling company like campagnolo doesn't even have a website for the clothes it sells. Oh wait ! Neither does Shimano...
rolleyes.gif

So, right now, I'm trying to guess the differences between two similar looking jackets by eye.

Have you guys ever heard of Shim's windflex gold jacket ?

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,040 of 4,419
I would never EVER ride my bike with ice on the road. Unless you get a fat bike. Even then, it's still dangerous.

Stay safe!

fat bikes don't help on the ice.  only studs help on the ice.  fat bike with studs....well if you can pedal it you can ride safely on it!

winters are bad here, the studs go on the roadie from october until may and the fat bike gets to play properly...

Nov 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #3,041 of 4,419
I'm with ferday, studs are the way to go. Fat tires help in snow but not much for ice.

If you can't afford stud tires a much cheaper and also much less effective option is to put a couple dozen zip ties around your tires. They will help a little but only with your braking and accelerating; they won't do diddly to avoid slipping sideways. You get what you pay for.

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3,043 of 4,419
I used to bike 20 miles in the middle of the night in the country side of Akita, Japan just to get to a bar.  It was awesome!  There was too much snow to remove so they just packed it down.  At night it would get real icy but if I fell over, I'd fall it this nice big snow drift.  Ah... those were the days.

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #3,045 of 4,419
Any particular reason why you're looking for padless tights ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back