Bicycle-Fi!
Jun 28, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #76 of 4,419
I'm a big fan of good quality bikes.

chewie0ol.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #79 of 4,419
Well, Monday was a big Brown Truck day. I had to take my car into the shop in the morning for a new windshield gasket, so I downloaded the bike path maps for the town where the shop was located and threw my F700 in the back with riding kit. I figured a two hour ride was better than two hours in the waiting room with Good Morning America (and the gorgeous receptionist). Went up and down hills, marveled at ethnic diversity, and avoided getting hit by several asian women in light trucks who always seem to be looking the other way. Picked up the car, got some groceries at Sam’s, and beat it back to the shack.

Brown Truck showed up around 1430hrs and I already had my bike shop stand and tools set up in the garage. Out of the box came a bright, shiny, beautiful blue Motobecane Century Pro from BikesDirect.com. Geez, is this thing light! Great fit and finish! Boy, aren’t those Ultegra triple gruppo snazzy! Doodled along with the bike in the stand, glad to have the right tools, finding everything in the box, and getting it together properly. Took me about forty minutes, so it would take less for somebody who knew what they were doing. Brief ride to check operations and up on the hooks. SWMBO still hasn’t noticed.
biggrin.gif

Yesterday I got the SPD clips on my new Diadora shoes, threw some bottle cages on the Motobecane, and did what passes for work around here. This morning, I was kitted up and out by 0730 for what is usually a one hour ride (took forty-five minutes today; you figure). Wanted to take it easy while I was checking out the new machinery and the fit of bike and new shoes. The Century Pro (a/k/a “Hunnert”) rides like a dream. More upright than my Fuji Roubaix, handling feels more planted. Just a wonderful bicycle that fits me fine. Even the stock saddle is not hateful. And I’ve chopped 25% off my route time; have to look for some longer rides.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #80 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This morning, I was kitted up and out by 0730 for what is usually a one hour ride (took forty-five minutes today; you figure). Wanted to take it easy while I was checking out the new machinery and the fit of bike and new shoes. The Century Pro (a/k/a “Hunnert”) rides like a dream. More upright than my Fuji Roubaix, handling feels more planted. Just a wonderful bicycle that fits me fine. Even the stock saddle is not hateful. And I’ve chopped 25% off my route time; have to look for some longer rides.

Old Pa,
As Head-Fi Protocol demands: "This tread is worthless without pictures."

As for me:
Here I am heading home from work on my Bianchi Uber-Tech beryllium with the new Dura-Ace beta 12 speed cluster (12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-24).
Along the way I stop by the store and I have two 10-pound bags of brown rice and a sixer of Anchor Steam packed away in my Timbuk2.
Oh btw I'm pushing the big ring into a 20mph headwind.
2551369177_843d4b0118_m.jpg

Jul 15, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #81 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa,
As Head-Fi Protocol demands: "This t(h)read is worthless without pictures."

Yeah, well, I'm still getting over the trauma of the demise (and non-ressurrection
mad.gif
) of Head-Fi Photo. Guess it's time to move on: who's the best hosting site for photos these days?

Turning the Fuji into the "errand bike" with 700x25c Schwalbe touring tires and a Ketter basket. The Motobecane stock pedals just got replaced with Shimano Ultegra clip-ons with some float and has a front bag. My biggest road bike fear is getting turned into a pedestrian with only road shoes along. Getting new rubber for SWMBO's Cannondale H400 after the just-filled rear blew in my ear while I was airing up the front; dry rot. The bike workstand and Park tools have paid for themselves again.
wink.gif
Beautiful summer weather for riding most mornings.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #83 of 4,419
Ok, I know you guys were talking about bikes, but I can't help myself for throwing this into the mix...

John, et al, have you guys seen the "TRIKKE?"

I used to commute to and from work via bicycle until it became impossible to do so, but I've missed being able to ride. Gave my commuter bike to my youngest. He and his wife ride together all the time. I never was able to interest my SHMBO in riding. :frowning2:

Anyway, the other day, I saw an infomercial for these TRIKKES. Intrigued, I went to the web and found a local shop that sells them here and the Mrs. and I went down to have a look. Long story short, we ended up buying a couple. A new T78 for her and I found a used (NIB) T12 for two hundred less.

These things are a blast! I had a hard time getting the hang of things, but now that I have, what a kick! This is really a full body workout like I've never experienced before. Amazing... Ok, I'll quit gushing and post a couple of pics from the web site.

Trikke USA - drive your fitness machine

T12 Roadster:
T12_action_ppage.jpg

T78 Air:
T78a_action_ppage.jpg

Here we are with the new Trikkes:
33.jpg

Not really us. But some day... :wink:
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #84 of 4,419
BTW, they're built in the same factory that builds Trek bikes. The one commanded by SWMBO is steel and mine is 6061-T6. They seem to be fairly well built. The T78-Air that the wife has seems to be the sweet spot for their line. (best bang for the buck)

Oh yeah, John, FWIW, re photo hosting... I have used Flickr for years and am fairly pleased with them.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #85 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, et al, have you guys seen the "TRIKKE?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, John, FWIW, re photo hosting... I have used Flickr for years and am fairly pleased with them.

No, I hadn't seen one of those, but I'm sure I'll have to dodge one around here in the next couple of days.
eek.gif
Kind of a downhill scooter kind of a deal? What they need is a motor.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Would that be flickr.com? They certainly handle extensive photo editing very well.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #86 of 4,419
Quote:

No, I hadn't seen one of those, but I'm sure I'll have to dodge one around here in the next couple of days.
eek.gif
Kind of a downhill scooter kind of a deal? What they need is a motor.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually, they are self propelled via the conservation of angular momentum. You use seemingly, every muscle in your body to make them go. Go, they do, too. An experienced rider can cruise at 18mph on the flats.

Quote:

Would that be flickr.com? They certainly handle extensive photo editing very well.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yup, that'd be the one.
This is my little corner of the world:
Flickr: kwkarth's Photostream

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #87 of 4,419
BTW, they claim you can burn 1000 cal per hour on a TRIKKE.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #89 of 4,419
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen one of these on the Greenway trail here. Interesting contraption.

Watch out, they're so much fun, they're addictive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back