Bicycle-Fi!
Jul 8, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #3,436 of 4,419
On our way to Jacob's Well last year.

Trip last month to McKinney Falls.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #3,437 of 4,419
Judging from the description of this bike, do you guys think this is a decent deal? I'd have to do the cleaning myself, replace the tires and get the bike fit, I'm assuming.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/4558785000.html

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #3,438 of 4,419
  Judging from the description of this bike, do you guys think this is a decent deal? I'd have to do the cleaning myself, replace the tires and get the bike fit, I'm assuming.

Thats not a terrible deal. The fact that he's removed the tires is a little disconcerting. With a cross country on it I'd definitely like to ride it before buying. It needs to be checked for squareness, chain wear, chainring and cassette wear and brakes. That is best done with a ride.

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #3,439 of 4,419

4000 miles....as long as he's taken good care of it everything should be just fine, those are hard miles in all conditions so I wouldn't be shocked if the BB/wheel bearings are needing a change. Nice frame though

Honestly it's a fair enough price, I'd take a look at it and talk him down another $50 since you need tires/tape and a stem at the bare minimum

Jul 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #3,441 of 4,419
  So we're down to posting old pics, lol. Here's where I go for 2min hill sprint repeats--there are several hills in this neighborhood running from 17-20+ percent.

Facing North

South south-east

Lucky!

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,444 of 4,419
rolleyes.gif
 Y-e-a-h... especially during winter.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #3,445 of 4,419
Hi,
I was wondering if it is pertinent here but.....does anyone use and have tips on top-of-the range electric MTBs?
There are now some very cool ones available but it's hard to find out "real world" specs and reliability on them....

Thanks!!!

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #3,446 of 4,419
  Hi,
I was wondering if it is pertinent here but.....does anyone use and have tips on top-of-the range electric MTBs?
There are now some very cool ones available but it's hard to find out "real world" specs and reliability on them....

Thanks!!!

Would depend on what you want to use it for.  In all honesty though, you'd probably have a lot better luck with your bike shop outfitting a good MTB with a separate motor/battery known for reliability and power, rather than paying the absurd amounts these companies want for the pre-assembled package

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3,447 of 4,419
Thanks for the reply!
Well....maybe in the States it is different (I'm sure it is) but have you seen where I live?....French nationals (maybe only in the South of France but I have doughts) are not exactly know for their work ethic and/or skills
cool.gif

I learnt it by living here.
At the same time everybody (well, almost) goes cycling here and in neighbouring Italy. And many have these groovy electric MTBs that, as you state, cost quite some money.
I would use it mostly for going to work (quite hilly here), and during weekends.
I currently average around 7-8000kms/year.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #3,448 of 4,419
French nationals (maybe only in the South of France but I have doughts) are not exactly know for their work ethic and/or skills I would use it mostly for going to work (quite hilly here), and during weekends.
I currently average around 7-8000kms/year.

Then why don't you buy a road bike ? An electric one, if you really have to, even though I must say that I still have trouble of seeing the point of it.

And yes, I agree about french mechanics...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back