Bicycle-Fi!
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #1,741 of 4,419

Quote:
Titanium is a fine frame material, and I'm not trying to discourage you from getting it. Having said that, rust proofing steel frames is pretty trivial for any quality bike. Absolute worst case, you can do it yourself with a brand new bike. With an aluminum bike, oxidation literally forms a protective layer. Anodized aluminum is nothing more than aluminum with an oxidation layer, sometimes with some dye added for color, or a sealant to maintain a desired sheen.
Weight shouldn't be a factor when choosing a bike unless you are going to be competing at the highest levels. The need for lightweight bikes is a marketing ploy more than anything. It won't make anyone a stronger or faster rider, unless they are already very strong and very fast. I wish I had a dollar for every time I pedaled past a cyclist on an expensive carbon fiber bike with my steel 29er.
Above all else, buy what you will actually ride, because few things are worse than a bicycle collecting dust from long periods of non-use.

dt880smile.png
 Hilarious! Your post is fine, by the way. But I just noticed your avatar, which I like and wish it had more real-world impact. But that your username is at odds with the sign... great stuff!

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #1,743 of 4,419

Quote:
Titanium is a fine frame material, and I'm not trying to discourage you from getting it. Having said that, rust proofing steel frames is pretty trivial for any quality bike. Absolute worst case, you can do it yourself with a brand new bike. With an aluminum bike, oxidation literally forms a protective layer. Anodized aluminum is nothing more than aluminum with an oxidation layer, sometimes with some dye added for color, or a sealant to maintain a desired sheen.

Weight shouldn't be a factor when choosing a bike unless you are going to be competing at the highest levels. The need for lightweight bikes is a marketing ploy more than anything. It won't make anyone a stronger or faster rider, unless they are already very strong and very fast. I wish I had a dollar for every time I pedaled past a cyclist on an expensive carbon fiber bike with my steel 29er.

Above all else, buy what you will actually ride, because few things are worse than a bicycle collecting dust from long periods of non-use.

Well said.

Is this what you have? Looks like a nice setup.

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb/2012-monocog-flight-29er

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #1,744 of 4,419
:dt880smile:  Hilarious! Your post is fine, by the way. But I just noticed your avatar, which I like and wish it had more real-world impact. But that your username is at odds with the sign... great stuff!

Haha! Besides cycling, I like to walk a lot. I've lived in places where the traffic signals will give pedestrians a walk signal while simultaneously giving motorists a green arrow to cross their path. It's not much fun. I learned pretty fast that the safest place to cross streets was far from intersections, just waiting for traffic to clear in each direction. In other words, I jaywalk for safety! :D

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,745 of 4,419

I don't have the Flight, just the regular Monocog 29er, 2008 model. It came with linear pull brakes, and a different steel was used, I think. It's not quite stock anymore. It has mullet brakes, BB7 disk up front, stock linear pull in the rear. I also replaced the front fork with a Salsa CroMoto Grande, after colliding with a cab turning left across my path bent the stock one (oddly, didn't bend my rim). I don't have a current picture of it though.

I never intended for it to be a commuter when I purchased it, but that's how it has worked out. I have a lot of fun with it. The best part is I don't suffer from upgraditus with it!

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,746 of 4,419
Here's my 16 year-old Litespeed Ultimate that's been updated w/new wheels/fork/stem/bars/saddle/post.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #1,747 of 4,419
Because of degenerative discs on my spinal cord I can no longer ride a bike (damn how I miss that).  Recently while moving out some items in my listening room to repaint the room I had to pack up some shelf stuff.   This is one of my favorites things.  I got it for editing all the shows for all the stages of the Tour De France races for OLN (Outdoor Life Network now known as VERSUS).  I got a different one for each year I did that, totaling seven years in all.   This one is my favorite.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #1,749 of 4,419
Quote:
Because of degenerative discs on my spinal cord I can no longer ride a bike (damn how I miss that).  Recently while moving out some items in my listening room to repaint the room I had to pack up some shelf stuff.   This is one of my favorites things.  I got it for editing all the shows for all the stages of the Tour De France races for OLN (Outdoor Life Network now known as VERSUS).  I got a different one for each year I did that, totaling seven years in all.   This one is my favorite.

Im very sorry to hear, but what a wonderful part of life it must of been. Why did you stop editing the shows for the TDF?

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,750 of 4,419

Quote:
Im very sorry to hear, but what a wonderful part of life it must of been. Why did you stop editing the shows for the TDF?

From 1997 to 2004 I did all the Tour de France, Vuelta a España, and Giro D'Italia races, among other European races.  Even did some music scoring.   But in 2004 after 24 years in the broadcast industry as a high end video editor and audio mixer I got up from the edit chair and just walked away never to return, and that was that.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #1,751 of 4,419
Nobody in the Tour De France has used a granny chainring as far back as I can remember.
Still cool though :)

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,753 of 4,419

Quote:

That's special... indeed! 
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,755 of 4,419

Quote:
Haha! Besides cycling, I like to walk a lot. I've lived in places where the traffic signals will give pedestrians a walk signal while simultaneously giving motorists a green arrow to cross their path. It's not much fun. I learned pretty fast that the safest place to cross streets was far from intersections, just waiting for traffic to clear in each direction. In other words, I jaywalk for safety!
biggrin.gif

I remember the first week spent with my Shure in-ear monitors and Jaywalking. 
ph34r.gif
 Terrifying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back