Bi-Wiring?
Jul 2, 2010 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Skoobs

100+ Head-Fier
can someone enlighten me as to the usefulness of bi-wiring? To me, it seems like either way you wire it, the speaker is wired in parallel, the only thing changing is where the current splits. so there should be no difference in sound, unless the jumpers are made out of cheap material. since either way, the electricity is going to choose the same path. the only other difference i see is that using more wire would decrease the impedance... if you run two sets or wire without replacing the orig. with thicker stuff.

am i way off base here?

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 9
all bi-wiring does is increase the effective gauge of the wire. 

there are claims about improvements in intermodulation - this is mostly a bunch of bologna

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 9
But... but... it makes my blacks blacker and my whites whiter and improves color separation. And this was just with my washing machine. You don't know what you're missing, El Doug.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
But... but... it makes my blacks blacker and my whites whiter and improves color separation. And this was just with my washing machine. You don't know what you're missing, El Doug.

Fancier cable?  It's all about fancy looking cables!

Jul 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Bi-wiring is horse-puckey.  Bi-amping, on the other hand, can be the best thing you every did for your speakers.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 9
bi-amping would be awesome if i had 10 channels worth of amp coming out of my receiver

Jul 9, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 9
Check out what the Linkwitz Orion+ does with multiple amp channels. The JH-3A works on the same principle. Expensive, yes, but it really works well.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 9
bi-wiring --> nothing conclusive
bi- amping --> yes.

speaker cable of awg14 or lower is more than enough for most people's setup. Just remember to change the metal plates to jumpers made from your speaker cables.

On my setup I have my cables wired to the HF post rather than than the LF post. This seems to give me more "detail". I am currently using belden 1311a (awg12)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back