BGVP DM8 any owners, comparisons to T800/DM7 etc
Nov 16, 2020 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

reg66

100+ Head-Fier
Really interested in the DM8's but can't find many, or next to zero, reviews on them. Just wondering how they compare to DM7 or T800's?

Anyone own a set? And if you do, are they the wooden or clear/steel ones?

Also, bit of a long shot, but don't suppose anyone has actually tried both wood and clear to compare/see if the claims that the wooden ones sound more nautral? Wooden ones would make more sense for sounding natural, trouble is I prefer the aesthetics of the clear !! (I like to see the mechanics and marvel at them lol)

I managed to convince the parents for early Crimbo money towards them and I'll pay the diff., but I can only afford to buy one set ... these, T800 or DM7's. Newer doesn't always mean better from what I've read so far (in general terms, not referring to DM7/DM8 at this time)...

BGVP DM8 clear.PNG
BGVP DM8 wood.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 15
OK, so they may not to be to 100% peoples tastes, but the T800 are pretty much tried and tested. I'm pretty sure I'll be more than happy with them, plus they're a fair bit cheaper. Don't fancy forking out for these DM8's that there's currently zero reviews on. Perhaps I'll live to regret it!! Time will tell...

Nov 16, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 15
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 15
Really interested in the DM8's but can't find many, or next to zero, reviews on them. Just wondering how they compare to DM7 or T800's?

Anyone own a set? And if you do, are they the wooden or clear/steel ones?

Also, bit of a long shot, but don't suppose anyone has actually tried both wood and clear to compare/see if the claims that the wooden ones sound more nautral? Wooden ones would make more sense for sounding natural, trouble is I prefer the aesthetics of the clear !! (I like to see the mechanics and marvel at them lol)

I managed to convince the parents for early Crimbo money towards them and I'll pay the diff., but I can only afford to buy one set ... these, T800 or DM7's. Newer doesn't always mean better from what I've read so far (in general terms, not referring to DM7/DM8 at this time)...

I don't have the other IEMs.. But I owned the DM7s and they seemed to have this hollow sound that I hated. Like I was hearing good sound, but as if I was in a tunnel. If any of the other IEMs have a better presentation over that, you're golden.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 15
I don't have the other IEMs.. But I owned the DM7s and they seemed to have this hollow sound that I hated. Like I was hearing good sound, but as if I was in a tunnel. If any of the other IEMs have a better presentation over that, you're golden.
Cheers dude, I went with Audiosense T800 in the end. They're tried and tested and nearly all reviews are golden. Intereted to see what the opinions are on the DM8's fro mthe other thread linked. Time will tell if I could have had better than the T800's, but I'm sure I'll be happy - for now!! These will be the most expensive(!) iems I've had, other than my old UE Triple Fi 10's, but I sold them some time ago thinking I wouldn't miss them and needed the cash. But I do!! Hopefully the T800's will be on par with them

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #7 of 15
If i recall correctly, BGVP had awesome IEM´s that had horrible manufacturing quality and poor consistancy between units.

have these issues been resolved ?

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Cheers dude, I went with Audiosense T800 in the end. They're tried and tested and nearly all reviews are golden. Intereted to see what the opinions are on the DM8's fro mthe other thread linked. Time will tell if I could have had better than the T800's, but I'm sure I'll be happy - for now!! These will be the most expensive(!) iems I've had, other than my old UE Triple Fi 10's, but I sold them some time ago thinking I wouldn't miss them and needed the cash. But I do!! Hopefully the T800's will be on par with them

U will need an optimal source with the Audiosense T800. It has a very low 9ish impedance, so it sounds best with a source with as low output impedance as possible (ideally < 1 ohm or even close to zero).

Otherwise, the Audiosense T800 has been my daily driver for transit and stage monitoring for the last 1.5 years, very good technicalities and superb isolation of almost 30 dB. It can be a bit bright, so not the best for treble sensitive folks, but u can tame the treble with knowles filters, warmer sources and eartips. I also like that despite it having BA bass, it sounds like a DD bass due to the vented subwoofer.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 15
U will need an optimal source with the Audiosense T800. It has a very low 9ish impedance, so it sounds best with a source with as low output impedance as possible (ideally < 1 ohm or even close to zero).

Otherwise, the Audiosense T800 has been my daily driver for transit and stage monitoring for the last 1.5 years, very good technicalities and superb isolation of almost 30 dB. It can be a bit bright, so not the best for treble sensitive folks, but u can tame the treble with knowles filters, warmer sources and eartips. I also like that despite it having BA bass, it sounds like a DD bass due to the vented subwoofer.
I have ordered a Lotoo PAW S1, which I read a couple of reports that it worked well with the T800's. Hopefully it'll provide ample power. I considered the Fiio BTR5 but read that it didn't sound as good as the PAW S1 (can't recall the full description). Hopefully I have made the right choice.

Do you know of a good source to get the Knowles filters? Which ones also would you recommend - they seem to be in ohm's(?) on ebay. Sorry to be such a noob! Are these what you mean?

I have read that (PAW S1) dental setting suits the T800's (although no doubt user preference) and I too am not a fan of EQ, but it'll be worth a tinker.

I'll probably get the filter you recommend, give it a go. But TBH, I'll probably be happy with stock sound - I've only ever owned UE Triple Fi 10's and got rid of them a long time ago.

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 15
I have ordered a Lotoo PAW S1, which I read a couple of reports that it worked well with the T800's. Hopefully it'll provide ample power. I considered the Fiio BTR5 but read that it didn't sound as good as the PAW S1 (can't recall the full description). Hopefully I have made the right choice.

Do you know of a good source to get the Knowles filters? Which ones also would you recommend - they seem to be in ohm's(?) on ebay. Sorry to be such a noob! Are these what you mean?

I have read that (PAW S1) dental setting suits the T800's (although no doubt user preference) and I too am not a fan of EQ, but it'll be worth a tinker.

I'll probably get the filter you recommend, give it a go. But TBH, I'll probably be happy with stock sound - I've only ever owned UE Triple Fi 10's and got rid of them a long time ago.

I made a small post about knowles filter types and installation here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ressions-thread.909718/page-276#post-15699790

Generally are u treble sensitive? I am treble sensitive and i managed to use T800 in stock form (without filters). But a lot of our friends do need the filters.

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #12 of 15
I made a small post about knowles filter types and installation here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...ressions-thread.909718/page-276#post-15699790

Generally are u treble sensitive? I am treble sensitive and i managed to use T800 in stock form (without filters). But a lot of our friends do need the filters.
Thanks! TBH the TripleFi 10's was a long time ago, and they're all I have to go by. I wouldn't really know if I'm sensitive to treble or other freq's, I am really not an audiophile and only just starting out now with fairly decent iem's. I'll try the T800's for a while and tinker with settings on PAW S1, if I find the treble too shrill etc, I'll look to using filters. Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to have a read and bookmark the thread.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #13 of 15
@baskingshark ... Ah sod it, already spent a fair whack (to me!) on the T800's and PAW S1, may as well go the whole hog. Have ordered some (4) of the suggested filters/dampers from your linked post and one of the tools. Gonna have me a tinker when I get everything!! I know you said in the other post linked, but just want to be sure, you're leaving the orignal filter inplace and simply adding another of the custom ones on top, right?

EDIT: I actually got carried away prior to ordering the T800's I ordered TRI I3, that's when I had to ask for parents Crimbo and B'day money to fund everything! Anyway, I see from your signature you have used the TRI I3 as well as the T800. The I3's are due to arrive tomorrow. Are they worth even trying in comparison to T800?

Bearing in mind, I can only afford to keep one pair and will be selling the TRI I3's - so can get more for them if they are new. However, if they considered a 'must listen' I may have to try them for a wee while... Oh bloody hell, I'm convincing myself to keep both, aren't I!!

Nope, gonna resist. have to sell them new to get money back in the bank.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 15
@baskingshark ... Ah sod it, already spent a fair whack (to me!) on the T800's and PAW S1, may as well go the whole hog. Have ordered some (4) of the suggested filters/dampers from your linked post and one of the tools. Gonna have me a tinker when I get everything!! I know you said in the other post linked, but just want to be sure, you're leaving the orignal filter inplace and simply adding another of the custom ones on top, right?

EDIT: I actually got carried away prior to ordering the T800's I ordered TRI I3, that's when I had to ask for parents Crimbo and B'day money to fund everything! Anyway, I see from your signature you have used the TRI I3 as well as the T800. The I3's are due to arrive tomorrow. Are they worth even trying in comparison to T800?

Bearing in mind, I can only afford to keep one pair and will be selling the TRI I3's - so can get more for them if they are new. However, if they considered a 'must listen' I may have to try them for a wee while... Oh bloody hell, I'm convincing myself to keep both, aren't I!!

Nope, gonna resist. have to sell them new to get money back in the bank.

For the T800, u have the option to add the knowles filter into the nozzle and leave the stock one in the IEM, so the resistances are additive. Some adventerous folks in the Audiosense thread did remove the stock knowles filter inside the IEM and just replaced it like for like with the aftermarket one (so only one knowles filter is inside). I didn't dare to do the latter option, but u can ask the folks there how it went.

Why don't u try the T800 in stock form first and see if u like it. Then only buy the knowles filters if it is too bright. U can even pair the T800 with warmer sources or foam tips to tame the treble too, rather than using knowles filters.

For TRI I3, they are a different animal from the T800. TRI I3 is U shaped, very balanced and coherent despite the weird 1 DD + 1 Planar + 1 BA setup. TRI I3 is grander sounding, has a very big soundstage at the sub $200 region, almost speaker like. But this is when it is amped. Cause the planars inside are pretty power hungry. Sounds meh from just a lower powered source. The TRI I3 is darker in the treble. T800 has better isolation and better technical performance (in clarity, imaging, instrument separation and details). Depends which u prefer, but they can be complimentary rather than competing IEMs.

Nov 20, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 15
For the T800, u have the option to add the knowles filter into the nozzle and leave the stock one in the IEM, so the resistances are additive. Some adventerous folks in the Audiosense thread did remove the stock knowles filter inside the IEM and just replaced it like for like with the aftermarket one (so only one knowles filter is inside). I didn't dare to do the latter option, but u can ask the folks there how it went.

Why don't u try the T800 in stock form first and see if u like it. Then only buy the knowles filters if it is too bright. U can even pair the T800 with warmer sources or foam tips to tame the treble too, rather than using knowles filters.

For TRI I3, they are a different animal from the T800. TRI I3 is U shaped, very balanced and coherent despite the weird 1 DD + 1 Planar + 1 BA setup. TRI I3 is grander sounding, has a very big soundstage at the sub $200 region, almost speaker like. But this is when it is amped. Cause the planars inside are pretty power hungry. Sounds meh from just a lower powered source. The TRI I3 is darker in the treble. T800 has better isolation and better technical performance (in clarity, imaging, instrument separation and details). Depends which u prefer, but they can be complimentary rather than competing IEMs.
Very informative, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back