Beyers question
Jul 30, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 29
gloco: You needn't take a plane, man - I'll be coming to San Jose from September the 7th to the 14th, anyway.
wink.gif
But thanks for reminding me of the bl**** coiled cord, which the DT531 hasn't got, either... (apart from its clearly superior sonic qualities and comfort, that means <ducks and looks for cover>)
biggrin.gif
(Anybody want to meet up, btw?)

Flatboy: Good plan! Keep on it! I'm fully behind you!
smily_headphones1.gif
No, really, sonic impression and comfort are still very individual - so while recommendations might be able to lead you to the right direction, it's still your taste that counts.

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: The DT250/250 is the second best of the Beyers, I've tried, btw - so if you want a closed one, why not consider this?!? It totally smokes the DT77... <gives a sissy cry and runs, a fierce gloco close behind him>
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
P.S.: The DT250/250 is the second best of the Beyers, I've tried, btw - so if you want a closed one, why not consider this?!? It totally smokes the DT77... <gives a sissy cry and runs, a fierce gloco close behind him>
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

You crack me up man! lol. Damn, now i'm curious to hear these 531's...got a site that sells them, i wouldn't mind seeing what they look like.

tia

Jul 30, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 29
Jul 30, 2002 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Lini:

Have you tried the DT-831? I've heard or owned the 831, 250-80, and 931, and the 831 were my favorite of the three. They're a bit leaner in the bass than the 250-80, but they don't seem as "muffled" in the treble (they have more air and spaciousness). They're also more comfortable
smily_headphones1.gif
If you've heard the 831, how does it compare with the 531?

Jul 30, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

Wanna know something? I have a Yamaha RX-V493 receiver and it drives my Beyer 770's beautifully. The bass is excellent (as it should be) and everytrhing else comes together just perfectly. Definitely not murky, the cans almost sound bright due to the Yamaha's signature brightness and tight controlled bass which will helps keep the Beyer 770's bass response from becoming bloated.

The 493 HP jack drives all my headphones with ease in comparison to my altoids and cmoy amp. I don't know what kind of receiver's these other guys have, but i don't think you'll need a DIY amp just to make your headphones sound murky in comparison. Look into the 770's, try to see if you can demo them, plus, snufkin is our resident Beyer expert
wink.gif

gloco
Which headphone amps have you compared your Yamaha 493 jack against?

Good is a relative term.

Jul 30, 2002 at 10:52 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Have you tried the DT-831? I've heard or owned the 831, 250-80, and 931, and the 831 were my favorite of the three.

Ewwww...
biggrin.gif

I have the both the 831 and 931 right now. I seriously think the 831s are a complete mistake on Beyerdynamic's part. The 931s are just a lot, lot better IMO. There's actually bass to speak of, a soundstage to speak of, and the treble is much more naturally airy and open and not confined and thinnish.

The 931s are actually a total surprise to me...I suspected that they'd be just an open version of the 831s, but they're almost an entirely different animal...or maybe an entirely different class. They're actually very nice headphones.

Jul 30, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #22 of 29
MacDEF: I've briefly tried it in our local Saturn store a few weeks ago - and there was also a DT531 there, so I had the chance to compare (though under questionable conditions). The DT831 seemed quite nice to me - a little more extended in the bass and a little more sparkly in the highs, maybe. There was none left apart from the demo model, so I didn't buy one. But I think I would have liked the sound...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

Ewwww...
biggrin.gif

I have the both the 831 and 931 right now. I seriously think the 831s are a complete mistake on Beyerdynamic's part. The 931s are just a lot, lot better IMO. There's actually bass to speak of, a soundstage to speak of, and the treble is much more naturally airy and open and not confined and thinnish.

The 931s are actually a total surprise to me...I suspected that they'd be just an open version of the 831s, but they're almost an entirely different animal...or maybe an entirely different class. They're actually very nice headphones.

I agree Vert. I personally feel that the 931s are among the top 3 or 4 dynamic phones available.

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #24 of 29
831 extended in the bass?? Wonder how bad the 531 must be to have come to that conclusion.

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1

Huh... (not "Huh?" as in "what?" but "Huh..." as it "that's interesting"
wink.gif
)

When I listened to the 831 and 931 side-by-side, the 831 had significantly more bass than the 931, and it was the 931 that had a "thin" sound. And looking at the HeadRoom site, they also comment on the lack of bass in the 931, while describing the 831 as having good, tight bass. Also, to me the 831 also have treble that is airy and open, not confined. A lot of people feel the 831 are the best closed headphone on the market, and while I don't know about that, they're clearly one of the best I've heard.

That said, I agree that the 831 are light in the bass (which speaks volumes about how bad the 931 are in the bass). The DT250-80 simply have much better low end. On the other hand, the 831 have much better treble clarity and extension, although they can be a tad bright at times due to the lack of bass. The 831 are also *much* more comfortable to me than the DT250.

Quote:

I couldn't even listen to them for too long, due to the fact that they had no low end to speak of, and midrange that was recessed compared to the treble. I was reminded of a transistor radio
wink.gif
OK, I exaggerate, but I really didn't like them.

If I could get the comfort of the 831, the bass and lower midrange of the DT250-80, and the upper mid/treble of the 831, then I'd have my dream closed headphone
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #26 of 29
Mac

I owned the 831 for a while and used them at work. Headroom sent a 931 to the last Dallas meet and it definitely had better bass extension on the Max, Corda and Melos. I dig the 931 a lot--it's mostly the brightness in the treble that I find at fault with it, which is tamed by the 120ohm resistor.

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 29
The 931's are definitely nice and underrated especially to people that just want cans for a modest setup like a receiver jack and nothing more. They will also rock with the appropriate higher-end setups...keyword being appropriate.

They are also strange cans which start sounding bad out of certain *dedicated* headphone amps. I think Beyerdynamic actually have their headphones well tuned for midrange output impedances. Of course that isn't to say they don't improve with appropriate dedicated headphone amps...it is just that with the 931's what is appropriate or not really comes into play just like for the SennsHD600. IMO I'd still prefer a DT931 out of a cheap receiver jack than a HD600 from a cheap dedicated amp(one that might even match the price of the entire receiver!). Probably the META42 is the only thing out there that changes the balance in making HD600's sound good for an affordable price if it is as close to Cosmic territory as some people claim.

I'd wager if the 931 were hooked up to the Wheatfield HA-2 at the WOHT, with its 100 ohm output impedance or even the Corda 120, instead of the modified HR Home's, impressions would be entirely inverted. Likewise if Senns were only hooked up to certain types of amps instead of some of the better amps you can pair the Senns with(i.e. Headroom gear), people would walk away with much less opinion of them.

It wasn't exactly the best setup to have mostly Senns populating a great variety of amps, only to come to a great variety of headphones connected to one variety of amp. And not everyone would cart the DT931 from the headphone display over to the amp display.

Finally DT931 are not head blasting high volume headphones. I know at the meet some Senn fans liked to play their headphones like speakers...and the DT931 would be more apt at complaining in such circumstance by shearing your ears off. The DT931 sound balanced at very low listening volumes (something that is hard to do at a meet with people blasting their Senns)...when you ramp up the volume on these phones, it is as if the bass and midrange remain the same volume while only the highs ramp up. Again perhaps it is an issue of linearity...but again the 931 favors lower volumes.

Of course getting back on topic with the original poster asking about headphones for his receiver jack + dance...I'd still wonder about the music selection as the 931's are still less forgiving about recordings even when appropriately equipment matched. Also since dance music is something I can see people blasting away with high volume...that is another mark against the 931.

I knew Vert would enjoy my 931's with his tonal preferences as well as what I believe is probably a quiet volume listening preference to avoid the Big T.

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #28 of 29
hehe, this is why I love the Beyer lineup so much - there is no good/better/best, it's all 100% personal opinion.

First and foremost, I believe the DT831 to be "better" than the DT250-80, but that doesn't mean the DT831 is enjoyable to listen to
wink.gif

I agree about the 770pro having a wider soundstage than the 990pro, but I find the bloated and slower bass of the 990pro to put them below the 250-80 and dt531 in my preference list.

In terms of what I'd recommend - it comes down to personal taste really
wink.gif

I think my recommendation is to get a couple of pairs of Beyers, enjoy the fact that different models have different sounds, but IMHO -all- of them sound good, if not very good (especially for the price) and depending on your moods/tastes you may prefer one over the other.

I haven't heard the DT931 yet, but I hope to change this in the next couple of weeks.

Jul 31, 2002 at 9:33 AM Post #29 of 29
Hello Flatboy!

I think you are going to be satisfied with the DT531s. I have them and they are a very good choice for headphones; they don't require a seperate heaphone amp and they sound really good. It's quite simple really, they lack nothing. And yes, the bass is there. After hearing them in action I can't imagine one wanting to go any lower with bass.

Greeting the countryman!

Maxi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back