beyers: Higher impedance, better sound?
Jan 12, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 50
Lower noise floor and easier to drive in terms of current it draws, I guess.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 50
AFAIK, the higher the impedience, the harder it is to drive, although most of that depends on how sensitive the headphones are in the first place, but the more detailed they will be with more impedience.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, the higher the impedience, the harder it is to drive, although most of that depends on how sensitive the headphones are in the first place, but the more detailed they will be with more impedience.

Nope.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 50
It's probably increased to potentially improve the damping factor. Of course the importance of it when it relates to headphones is still debated.

Green, do you have a source on the differences in mass?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Simply having a higher impedance does not equate more details. In this case the higher impedance is a result of using finer wire to wind the voice coil and the finer wire simply has a higher resistance because it's narrower. This will result in a lighter voice coil which can result in better detail.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably increased to potentially improve the damping factor. Of course the importance of it when it relates to headphones is still debated.

Green, do you have a source on the differences in mass?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not currently, but I read it on head-fi (in a quote of an email from beyerdynamic).

If I recall correctly it might have been an email sent to leeperry. As I remember the mass is 32ohm > 250 ohm > 600 ohm. They have different part numbers, so you should be able to investigate fairly easily (or even email them yourself).

I think the reasoning behind it was that the 600 ohm needs less current and therefore can use a thinner guage wire.

A simple search should reveal it on head-fi though (on the train, sorry).

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not currently, but I read it on head-fi (in a quote of an email from beyerdynamic).

If I recall correctly it might have been an email sent to leeperry. As I remember the mass is 32ohm > 250 ohm > 600 ohm. They have different part numbers, so you should be able to investigate fairly easily (or even email them yourself).

I think the reasoning behind it was that the 600 ohm needs less current and therefore can use a thinner guage wire.

Thanks, I'll make sure to look it up later. I really wonder how much mass they cut off and if it's really worth it myself, but it's interesting nonetheless.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I'll make sure to look it up later. I really wonder how much mass they cut off and if it's really worth it myself, but it's interesting nonetheless.
bigsmile_face.gif

I am highly skeptical of the whole 600 ohm thing myself, to be honest.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Isn't it the other way around ? Thinner guage wire in the coil leads to higher impedance going by R = rho*L/A (where A is the area of cross.sec) and since it presents a high impedance at the circuit output it takes less current.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Then email Beyerdynamic and ask them if there is a difference in the wire thickness that's used to wound the voice coil. There are quite a lot of people reporting that the wire on the higher impedance drivers is visibly thinner.

@sarathcpt: Yes that's how it works. The higher impedance is a result of the thinner wire. They didn't choose a thinner wire because there would be a lower amount of current running through it.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then email Beyerdynamic and ask them if there is a difference in the wire thickness that's used to wound the voice coil. There are quite a lot of people reporting that the wire on the higher impedance drivers is visibly thinner.

It's not the driver mass I am skeptical about. I'm not really prepared to order a 600 ohm beyer to test the sound anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it the other way around ? Thinner guage wire in the coil leads to higher impedance going by R = rho*L/A (where A is the area of cross.sec) and since it presents a high impedance at the circuit output it takes less current.

Probably. Not too knowledgable about wires to be honest (hence the 'I think').

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

So do I ! I'd be curious to know if the PRO version comes also at 600 ohms. If not, it's probably an audiophile gimmick. Note that I have a vintage DT990-600 and and new DT990-250. I hear more difference from the cushions than from the drivers...

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #15 of 50
Never tried the 770-600s but the main difference between my 80s and 250s were that the 80s were prone to distortion when playing back deep bass on my main rig. The 250s handle the bass just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back