beyers: Higher impedance, better sound?
Jan 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #46 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 16 ohm aren't a recommended load impedance. They're just used as reference for the output power. E.g. at a 32 ohm load the output power would be about 40 mW – and so on.

¬_¬

Does that output correlate to the db/mw sensitivity rating on the headphones?

So, for the sake of discussion, assuming linear scaling 250ohms would be 5.12mw. Is there a way to compare that to the sensitivity of the headphones?

Again, subjective evaluation aside, is there a rule on using impedance/sensitivity to determine how much your amp is up for powering your headphones?

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hence the use of low impedance output amps with high impedance cans in the pro setting where multiple cans are plugged into the same source?

The use of low impedance output amps I think has more to do with their typically being solid state amps, for which low output impedance is de regeur.

se

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amount of power it can output is not always the a function of the reciprocal of the headphone's impedance. You may very well be right in this case, but twice the impedance does not always mean half the amount of output power. It also depends on the maximum amount of current it can provide. Just look at these specifications for example: н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Yeah, sure – therefore the «about».

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #49 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was all set to jump in, but Uncle Erik laid it down perfectly. Not bad at all...actually very impressive.

The 600 ohms would mean to give reasonable power, that voltage is more important out of your amp than current (Power = VI = Isquared * R). Lower impedance cans require less voltage, but more current. So which is harder to drive? Depends on your amp...

If your amp can supply high current (as in SS amps) then the lower impedance cans would be easier to drive...look at the K701s, if your amp can supply higher voltage (as in a tube amp), then the higher impedance cans would be easier.

But what if your SS amp supplies 9-18 volts? Then you have high current and high voltage. Take any professional headphone amplifier as an example.

My Presonus HP4 has the best of both worlds and sounds exactly the same as other SS amps I've used. Then again, I'm a bit more of an objectivist.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #50 of 50
I think the most hilarious aspect of this discussion, is that there are degrees in Audio Engineering which would make any such argument a matter of mathematics and physics.

My background is in the arena of nutrition and physiology and there are very few gray areas. My industry is filled with people who argue one point over another, but in the end, I'm confident that pure science trumps all of them at the end of the day.

This shouldn't be an argument, in-as-much as there shouldn't be an argument between creationism and evolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back