BeyerHeads, your advice...
Aug 2, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

steviebee

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought a pr of DT660, black-cup edition (2007?) and am very impressed. Nice & clear, perhaps a bit bright sometimes, but a good line in non-overpowering bass. And a soundstage that is wonderful out of a closed phone.

So BeyerHeads, if, I say if, I was to think of wallet-harming, which of the upper Beyers would be a good step towards? I'd be looking for used, so not too worried about as-new price

The 660 is the only Beyer I've heard. I like clarity, soundstage & lean n deep bass, but not boombox. I listen to jazz, orchestral, acid rock, folk & country.

Are there any other closed Beyers?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks SS
smily_headphones1.gif
no, not necessarily. Open is also fine. Just so impressed with 660 soundstage for a closed, I wondered what other closed phones Beyer did.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 16
The highest the beyers go are the 880/990's where both are semi open/closed, however the 990's don't have lean bass, but the 880s do. Ah I just looked at your amp inventory, those amps may not drive the 880's to satisfactory levels.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 16
I take it Beyer has the same effect on its owners as Grado, eh? Will I end up getting them all?
biggrin.gif

Thanks, I'll investigate 880s and the older models...& have a look around re 770 (Edit - cancel that, I've just read the 770 is a 'bass monster'...not my cuppa tea then)

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like clarity, soundstage & lean n deep bass, but not boombox. I listen to jazz, orchestral, acid rock, folk & country.

Are there any other closed Beyers?

The DT880 would be a nice fit for those genres, except it's an open can. Do you absolutely need them to be closed? I haven't heard the DT770 or DT990, so I can't make a comparison.

For jazz, orchestral and folk, however, I think the DT48 is one of the best. It doesn't do anything besides acoustic well, however.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 16
the only beyers i like are the dt250-250 (closed) and dt931 and they sound completely different from one another. that said, what you're looking for is definately in the direction of the 931 although it's an open design. the 831 sounds 'faster' but it's really bass weak and bright.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 16
Thanks all
beyersmile.png

Not looking exclusively for closed (just interested because of the SS of the 660, which belies it's closed build) so the 880 could be my way further into Beyer land.

BeyerDynamic just got another convert if the sound of my lowly 660 is anything to go by, lol.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 16
They don't come up for sale very often, but once in a while they do: the classic DT990 (made until the early 90's?). You can recognize it by its old-fashioned black grill (like the Pro) and black cloth pads. They aren't boomy and properly amplified the bass is to die for. The mids aren't pushed out of the way by the bass and the highs have great clarity. It's my favourite phone
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 16
Keep an eye out on amazons warehouse seller, its amazon but a kind of subsiduary division who sell all manner of things off cheap for a number of reasons, I got my brand new dt 880's for 100 quid off there.

Also, german, french and even english ebay are good for the discontinued beyers such as 831's etc

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't come up for sale very often, but once in a while they do: the classic DT990 (made until the early 90's?).

How did you restore and/or mod them? Mine have fallen into disuse and, while I would like to keep them as a historically significant item, I'd hate to be depriving another head-fier of a rare headphone... so if they're really in short supply, I could put mine up for sale/trade/gift. That is, unless your tips can make it shine of course. :wink:

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 16
With my ER-4P as reference, DT880 sounds similar in terms of neutrality (or coldness, depending on taste), but it has more powerful bass and treble. Many would probably not agree with me in this, but having used to ER-4P, I find the midrange a little recessed. I also do not consider it as bass light. if you are sensitive to treble, this might not be for you. Sound imaging is very precise like ER-4P, but with much more depth and width, sound stage is quite impressive for me. I like AKG but I have to say the sound stage is more grounded and realistic than the AKGs. Over all it is very clean and analytical sounding. I have heard the 250 ohms and the 600 ohms version, the 600 ohms one sounds a tad more silky to me.

DT990 is even more DT880 than the DT880 itself, with even more powerful bass and treble, and the product is an even more recessed midrange. Not my kind of headphone.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you restore and/or mod them? Mine have fallen into disuse and, while I would like to keep them as a historically significant item, I'd hate to be depriving another head-fier of a rare headphone... so if they're really in short supply, I could put mine up for sale/trade/gift. That is, unless your tips can make it shine of course. :wink:

Well, I didn't really
smily_headphones1.gif
. I bought them from friend and fellow Head-Fi'er Agnostic who replaced the driver screens with panty hose and refoamed the pads. Everything else was and still is in working order, although they do look a bit tatty. Not that I mind... If you're thinking of letting your pair go, let me know
biggrin.gif

They really sound bad BTW with the new Beyer stock velour pads.

Aug 5, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

I bought them from friend and fellow Head-Fi'er Agnostic who replaced the driver screens with panty hose and refoamed the pads.

Do you know what kind of and how much foam was used? What does the result look like (thickness when worn in particular)?
The pantyhose fabric doesn't do much (if anything) to the sound, right?

Quote:

If you're thinking of letting your pair go, let me know
biggrin.gif

Before I think about that, I'd need to know if they are actually considered to be rare of if they can be readily obtained on ebay.de or some such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back