Beyerdynamics DT 770 / 80 ohm help
Sep 29, 2013 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

niv141

New Head-Fier
After checking some headphones I decided I'm going for those mentioned above.
now I have a few questions.
first of all I'll say that I'm a complete bass head, I listen to dubstep trap house edm etc..
I realized that an amp is required to drive these headphones properly.
now about these amps (portable one's) will I need to somehow configure the amp in order for the headphones to run properly? or is it just plug and play?
I'm a complete newb with amps and headphones.

now regarding the model, most people say go for a FIIO one, and everywhere I check people say a different fiio model is enough to drive these specific headphones. some threads say the e6 will be more than enough and some say the e11 will do the job. now which one is it?

and about plugging it to the computer, will I be fine with a creative labs soundcard? main use is for gaming (when using the computer)

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 12
What model Creative sound card?
Technically the Fiio E6 can drive the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.
But better to get the Fiio E11 ($60), I believe it would offer better audio quality and longer battery life, over the E6
The Fiio E11 can plug into the Creative sound card.
Might order a few extra batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery recharger, off eBay, total is around $15

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 12
nothing too expensive, not sure about the model though.
how will that affect the audio quality wise? (when gaming)

On sound cards that do not have a headphone amplifier, usually their headphone/line-out jack has a high impedance, which is a negative for audio details, chances are your sound card is giving the DT770 a bloated bass (louder with less detail).
The Fiio E11 has a very low headphone output impedance, helps improve the audio detail in headphones (like the DT770).
I guess music audio benefit more from audio detail, then gaming.
Guess you could say you will "enjoy" the better audio quality while gaming.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #6 of 12
could you please give me a link off eBay for the batteries and an AC charger cause all I seem to find are Nokia batteries (or are these the right ones?)

I believe it's the Nokia BL-5B battery that is used in the Fiio E11.
(I own the E11 and use the OEM BL-5B batteries with it).
eBay is full of OEM (not make by Nokia) BL-5B batteries.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Li-ion-Replacement-Battery-Wall-Charger-for-NOKIA-Lumia-Cell-Phones-2013-/161095094984?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Batteries&var=&hash=item25820412c8

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 12
the link you gave me had Li-on batteries, not bl-5l.. are you sure you have me the correct link?

Li-on (Lithium-Ion) batteries model number BL-5B.
Just do a search on eBay for BL-5B, I believe the battery that ships with the E11 is around 900mAh to 1000mAh,
but there are also 1390mAh or 1600mAh, which hold a longer charge.

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 12
DTs are really easy to drive, You could run them straight from an ipod or iphone. An E5 is enough, anything else will be a over kill imo.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 12
I already purchased the e11 (for 73 dollars =/) guess I'm too late
what's the difference anyway between e11 and e5 (I mean feature wise, not performance)

Getting the E11 was the right choice, sound quality should be better the the Fiio E5/E6.

Oct 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #12 of 12
I already purchased the e11 (for 73 dollars =/) guess I'm too late
what's the difference anyway between e11 and e5 (I mean feature wise, not performance)

It has a lock, Is a bit bigger and has better volume controls. I used to own one and used it for my portable rig with my DT770. it's a good amp but you just don't get any benefits as the 770 are close to efficient. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back