Beyerdynamic Tesla T1 with Headzone Base Station - 5.1 High End Surround at IFA 2010
Sep 10, 2010 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dukewilloman

New Head-Fier
[size=small]Last weekend, I took the opportunity to visit the IFA show in Berlin. When I entered the beyerdynamic booth, I could listen to the new 32 ohm Tesla models for portable use:[/size]

[size=small]T 50 p  -  on-ear cans with good bass, clear mids and detailed treble, very compact[/size]
[size=small]T 5 p  -  full-size cans with maximum resolution and fundamental bass, extremely comfortable (!)[/size]

[size=small]For these cans, threads in Head-Fi have already been started, and so I don´t want to duplicate here:[/size]
[size=small]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/479768/beyer-t50p-beyerdynamic-announces-the-t50p-portable-tesla-headphones[/size]
[size=small]http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508803/review-of-the-all-new-beyerdynamic-t5p-dynamic-headphone[/size]

[size=small]But there was some strange thing that caught my attraction:[/size]

[size=small]A Headzone Base Station driving the Tesla T 1 in 5.1 surround sound! Some may say that surround is not for audiophiles, but for me this setup is like high end surround that has never been realized before.[/size]

[size=small]As I learned, the Headzone Base Station is a plug-and-play stand alone unit (no need for a surround receiver or speakers), comprising[/size]

[size=small]- digital S/PDIF audio inputs (optical or coaxial)[/size]
[size=small]- built-in certified decoder for Dolby Digital, DTS and PCM Stereo[/size]
[size=small]- digital signal processing with binaural technology[/size]
[size=small]- realization of mutiple room reflections, where room size and ambience (reflection patterns) of an ideal living room can be adjusted within reasonable limits[/size]
[size=small]- high resolution DAC (Digital-Analog-Converter)[/size]
[size=small]- high grade headphone amplifier, capable to drive up to 600 ohm impedance like T 1[/size]

[size=small]The beyerdynamic staff were showing 'Avatar' in Dolby Digital, and when putting on the T 1, I felt like being part of the movie! Beside of the perfect front localisation, I could hear the creatures stalking behind me even before they were appearing on the screen.[/size]

[size=small][/size]

[size=small]To see what´s going on, I pressed the 'Bypass' button to listen without processing, and the whole scenery was compressed like happening inside my head only. I immediately released the bypass to return to processing mode... and jumped into the environmental scenery again. Surprising![/size]

[size=small]Then I did another test: I put a stereo CD (no DVD!) into the DVD player and just listened. Headzone automatically detected 'PCM Stereo'. The perceived sound field was absolutely realistic. All the musicians appeared in a wide front stage, like being right in the concert. Again, I pressed the 'Bypass' button and felt the localisation compressed inside my head.[/size]

[size=small]I was explained that with speakers, not only the left ear, but also the right ear is perceiving sound of the left speaker (of course, with a little delay and different frequency and phase response), and vice versa. But when using headphones, the left channel is applied to the left ear only (and not to the right ear at all), and vice versa, causing some in-the-head localisation (that´s what I felt, unnatural 100% channel separation).[/size]

[size=small]With the binaural technology of Headzone, beyerdynamic claims to apply the left signal to the left ear and also to the right ear (with a well defined delay and different frequency and phase response) exactly as it is with ideal speakers in a living room with perfect acoustics. And it really works, in stereo and surround as well![/size]

[size=small][/size]

[size=small]Found further information in Head Gear and on beyer´s website:[/size]
[size=small]http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-headzone-base-station-5-1-surround-dac[/size]
[size=small]http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/at-home/headphones-amps/headzone-consumer-basisstation.html[/size]

[size=10pt]Would be glad to see if I´m not the only one appreciating this technology. Does anybody else have the chance to test Headzone Base Station with T 1 and give a review?[/size]

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #2 of 4
So, I'm not the most technologically savvy guy, but does anybody know if there is any meaningful difference between what Beyerdynamic is describing here and a standard crossfeed, or is it all just marketing jargon?

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 4
Mostly marketing jargon I think, but beyerdynamic certainly knows audio, so it very well could be an extremely good crossfeed.

That said the 5.1 is probably some complex DSP. Hopefully it's not just Dolby Headphone.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Reviving an old thread ... 'cause I just got my T1's.

Indeed they are a fine match for the HeadZone amp ... excellent pairing.

With BYPASS on for LPCM stereo music, with all the DSP on for 5.1 movies.

The 5.1 effect is way more than Dolby + Crossfeed.  beyer has won a lot of engineering awards for this technology.  GIYF.

For DTS and Dolby DVD's of concerts -- especially big rock concerts -- this rig is sensational.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back