beyerdynamic t70p thoughts
Feb 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SergeantNoob

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I am seriously considering this as my next upgrade.  Not really an upgrade, as my previous headphones are not even considered high-end, less so audiophile level.  Anyways, thoughts?  I'd be running it through a portable amp, a fiio e11.

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Hey guys, I am seriously considering this as my next upgrade.  Not really an upgrade, as my previous headphones are not even considered high-end, less so audiophile level.  Anyways, thoughts?  I'd be running it through a portable amp, a fiio e11.

to be honest its kinda a waste to go portable 32ohm for this headphone, u better buy the non portable one and buy a good portable amp

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
to be honest its kinda a waste to go portable 32ohm for this headphone, u better buy the non portable one and buy a good portable amp

The 250 Ohm version is also relatively easy to drive, despite the high impedance. It is much more sensitive than the older DT770/880/990 series, and needs comparable voltage to the 32 Ohm versions of those. Although the portable version is said to have slightly more bass, which may be preferred by some.

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 10
i'd recommend you to get a t70p along with a 78 ohm mini adaptor least ur getting a more powerful amp. IMO the t70p sounds way better on a portable rig (running on a d12) , though in a home hi-fi rig i noticed the bass abit lacking compared to the t70s....

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
i'd recommend you to get a t70p along with a 78 ohm mini adaptor

The T70p with 78 Ohm serial resistors is not easier to drive for any sources than the T70 without resistors, but the adapter adds ~2.5 dB bass boost due to the low damping factor. I guess some people prefer that, although for more bass it might make sense to simply get other headphones.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #6 of 10
I own the T70p since a month or so now in order to get something that sounds as good as my DT1350 but more comfy...

So the story is:

- When I got them I noticed excessive high frequency (a peak between 8 and 9 kHz), recessed middle range (not as much as the D7000 though) and lack of bass impact. But I also noticed an incredible transparency and no distortion at all, even when the complexity of the music was extreme (big modern orchestras). I was unhappy and disappointed anyway, as matter of fact I wanted to sell immediately, I couldn't send them back to beyerdynamic in Germany. (I am glad I didn't)

- I tried different other headphones (spending a lot in shipping costs, sending them back!) nothing, I couldn't find anything satisfactory or close to the transparency and the engaging sound of the DT1350.

- At some point I had a crazy idea trying to play around with the earpads in order to get a better impact. I reversed the earpads and I put some electrical tape to hold them in place. Wow not anymore a recessed middle range and not anymore sibilant highs, now the middle range is exactly like the DT1350 but tons more transparent and realistic (realistic in the sense that the timbre of the instruments is very close to what it should be), the lack of highs in the DT1350 is solved and also it is envolving as much as the DT1350. Still lack of impact in the bass range though (I am working on it).

- So the little silly mod worked perfectly (trust me I tried a lot more things but nothing worked so good as this one, it is really a night and day difference in the frequency response), the problem is that the headphones now look really ugly (obviously). Being very happy of the sound I said to myself "why don't you get another type of earpads?" well I bought some genuine leather earpads for aviation £31!!. I couldn't wait to try them out...so once I got the beautiful pads it was a complete disaster, the middle range was almost disappeared, a lot of confusion in the bass range, total lack of cohesion of the frequencies. At that time I was convinced that the problem was caused because the inner part of the pads (the plastic one) was completely sealed, so instead of packing back the cushions and resell them, I decided to ruin everything and make some holes on the plastic inner part of the pads...very very bad Idea, nothing changed and the result was £31 wasted.

- At the moment with this little mod  I am very very happy about the amazing transparency, the tonal balance and the comfort of the headphones. I can't figure out at all why the reversed ear pads trick works and nothing else does, all negative effects for all the other modifications. I was thinking to get some velour pads to roughly match the reversed earpad behaviour (of the standard T70 earpads), but I don't know which one of them to get, I definitely don't want other people around me listening to my music so I am not sure the velour pads would work in this sense. Allegedly there are two different types, one for open cans (dt880) and another one for closed ones (dt770). At the moment I don't want to waste other money so I'll stick with the ugly but very effective solution.

At the end of the day in my humble opinion:

1. Don't don't!! buy aviation earpads neither leather nor gel stuff, (they are basically tubes) I think those are designed for good isolation rather than for acoustic properties. I can with no doubt say that at least with the leather pads the sound gets really muddy and everything is totally ruined.

2. The headphones with this little "reversing" trick sound truly fantastic (I invite all the owners of the T70p to do this little trick, I'd like some opinion, no insults please :) ).

3. The T70ps sound very good just out of a normal player although I did notice a significant improvement using my Nuforce DAC/amplifier.

4. I have tried a bunch of other full size sealed cans including the famous D7000, in my opinion there is no comparison in terms of trasparency and acoustic instruments timbre, although I have to say that other headphones surpass easily the T70 in the bass impact performance, for the rest I couldn't find anything comparable, with this trick they sound a lot better than the DT1350, also because of the increased soundstage.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 10
I find I like my T70's (250Ω) a little more out of my TTVJ Slim than I do my Corda HA-2.

The headphones sound really good. My main complaint is that they do have some emphasis on the highs and can be a bit sibilant to certain voices and instruments, but it can also vanish completely with others.
They are amazingly clear, compared to my HD650's they have more clarity and really sperate the instrumentals in a way that allows you to hear them more clearly from each other.

I will say sometimes I don't like the high emphasis or sibilance, but I really do enjoy what they offer a lot. Since I have HD650's I get the option for a darker sound should I choose it.

If you like separation between the instruments I would say they are a good pair of phones, if you prefer a darker deeper bassy phone, try something else.

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Dear fellow audioholic, what exactly do you describe, what do you mean by saying "...I reversed the earpads..." ? You can reverse when driving a car but can you give details on " reversing " an earpad ?... like taking it out/removing and ' rolling it ' 180 degrees and then reattaching ? Curious...

Sep 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 10
The T70p has my full recommendation! I like the T70p (a very little bit) more than the T70 because it has a bit more bass and a more dynamic sound. The signatures are very much like eachother in the T70 and T70p but the T70p is more vivid. Also the T70p scales with better amps (like the T70 does too) but if you want to go without amp sometimes for convenience, the T70p will be the most versatile choice for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back