Beyerdynamic T70 or T70p
Jan 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Clashead

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi

I am looking at a new pair of headphones, im currently looking at Beyerdynamic T70.

But im wondering, can i drive these with a SGS3? Im gonna use them with the SGS3 and my computer.

I know that the T70p is made for portable use, and the T70 for home use.

And what will the difference be if i used the T70 on a phone?

If you need more info to answer my question, please ask.

Thanks for the help.

Clashead

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 11
Heya,

The T70P would be the one for you; very efficient. Will run from a phone.

The question is... why do you want a T70 in the first place? Do you know a lot about it? Are you sure it's what you're looking for? It's a very bright, spacious sound stage headphone with great mids, great isolation, but you may find it has very little and very shy bass, even when amplified. So if that's the sound you're looking for, you could go that route, but it's an expensive headphone for this kind of sound when you could get the Shure SRH940 and get literally nearly the same sound signature for quite a bit less. And even then there are even cheaper headphones that can accomplish this too. So are you looking for a headphone that is shy on bass, but has bright treble/mids?

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 11
I want a pair og T70 because, i like the sound of them and that they are very comfortable plus they are sound isolating.

The only thing i miss about them is the bass... im currently own a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780, and i like the sound but they are not comfortable enough (There also beginning to fall apart)

But what is the difference between the T70 and T70p?

And what would you recommend me?

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I want a pair og T70 because, i like the sound of them and that they are very comfortable plus they are sound isolating.

The only thing i miss about them is the bass... im currently own a pair of Ultrasone HFI-780, and i like the sound but they are not comfortable enough (There also beginning to fall apart)

But what is the difference between the T70 and T70p?

And what would you recommend me?

Heya,

The T70 and T70P are identical. The only difference is one is low impedance (32ohm) and one is 250ohm. The purpose is one is easier to drive on portable devices. And the other is for matching a load to an amplifier. They are otherwise the same headphone and sound virtually the same. So for your purposes, the T70P would be the better option since you're not using an amplifier.

It's curious that you are not happy with the bass, but you're still willing to buy them. I would look for a new headphone.

Look into:

AudioTechnica A900X and A1000X
Ultrasone PRO 750
Beyer DT770 Premium 32ohm or PRO Limited Edition 32ohm
AKG K167

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 11
Hey

I just looked through the list of headphones you named, and the only one i can buy i my countrey is the Ultrasone PRO 750.

But can i get something better than the Ultrasone? my budget is around 600 - 650$

Im also thinking about buying a new sound card for my computer with a new pair of headphones, like this one:

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-ZxR-PCIe-Sound/M/B00AQ5PK6I.htm

Or this:

http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Zx-PCIe-Sound/M/B009XDWUCQ.htm

If you know them, is it something you can recommend?

I appreciate the help ^^

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 11
Heya,

With a budget like that, why not just go for a T5P, Denon D7000 (dicontinued; get sale/used), Ultrasone Signature Pro (used/sale) or a Mr Speaker Mad Dog (or other modded T50RP).

As for a sound card, maybe a Xonar STX or DG/DGX on the lower side. Though ideally I would get something external like a USB DAC/AMP instead of a sound card unless you just wanted it specifically for gaming.

Very best,

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey

I just took a look around the web to see if i could find anyone that sold any of those headphones.... And i couldnt find any =(

It's almost impossible to find used headphones in my country (A small country called Denmark), so i would appreciate if you came with a recommendation on a new pair of headphones i that price range.

Thanks for the help so far ^^

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 11
I like the sound of my Beyer T70 (250-Ohm) and I bought them used for $310 (225 Euros) and I do like them, but I do not think anyone should pay more then $300 for them (new or used).
Thomann sells the AKG K550 for 177 Euros, so you might want to read the reviews on those.
The Audio Technica ATH-A900X do have a nice sound to them, I paid $256 (new), wish I had waited and just bought used ones for $180.

The SBZ (Sound Blaster Z) series is starting to appeal to me, the Zx seems a good value.
The SB ZxR is overpriced for what your looking for, it comes with an extra DAC for speaker surround sound, but as your using headphones, it not a good value for your use.
So the SBZx seems the better choice for you.

I do own the Asus Xonar Essence STX (with AD797BR op-amps), does a great job of driving my T70s (and other headphones).

A Fiio E12 might be a good choice for use with your Samsung Galaxy S3, or just a Fiio E11.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the answer

What is the differences between

Ultrasone PRO-750

Ultrasone PRO-900

and if i had a surround sound system would a Creative SB ZXR be a good choice?

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Thanks for the answer

What is the differences between

Ultrasone PRO-750

Ultrasone PRO-900

and if i had a surround sound system would a Creative SB ZXR be a good choice?

Heya,

PRO900 - Very bassy, very bright.
PRO750 - Balanced.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back