Beyerdynamic T5p with an iPhone only (no amp)?
Nov 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JulesK

Head-Fier
All - I've read just about every thread/post I could find on the Forum on the T5p, and what I'm trying to determine is whether it can be driven "well" by an iPhone 4S.  My point of comparison is the Senneheiser Momentum (primarily because of its comfort, and also because it appears to be one of a handful of headphones that folks really like that work directly with an iPhone).  I wear glasses, so comfort is important to me, and in terms of SQ, I'm looking for something that has a lot of clarity and detail even at low volume (trying to preserve my hearing), even when driven by an iPhone only.  I find that with the Momentum, some of that detail is lost at low volume, and as a result, I end up turning up the volume more than I would like.

I realize that the bass on the T5p isn't going to be the greatest without amping, but I could live with that so long as it were accurate and provides sufficient fullness and warmth to the sound at low volumes.  For those familiar with IEMs, I'd want something warmer/richer than what you'd get from the Etymotic ER-4 (although the detail/accuracy is incredible).

I know that the T5p, as its price would demand, is a much, much better set of headphones than the Momentum under optimal conditions.  But if it isn't that much better straight from an iPhone, then it isn't worth it to me.  I'd get a portable amp eventually, but the convenience factor of not having to deal with one is important for my expected use.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 7
The T5p is very sensitive to me, as it should be as a portable headphone.  Whether it's iphone sensitive or not is another question that can only be answered by testing.

I'll see if I can locate someone with an iphone 4S with audio files loaded on it here at work next week and see how full the sound is.  But I'd guess yes initially.

You've got some inverted priorities that make answering you difficult. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
The T5p is very sensitive to me, as it should be as a portable headphone.  Whether it's iphone sensitive or not is another question that can only be answered by testing.

I'll see if I can locate someone with an iphone 4S with audio files loaded on it here at work next week and see how full the sound is.  But I'd guess yes initially.

You've got some inverted priorities that make answering you difficult. 

Fair enough.  I own an Westone ES5, and although it could do with a bit more treble presence, the wonderful thing about it is that I can listen to it at low volume and still hear all the detail in the music.  Makes a huge difference in enjoyment.  I guess that's what I'm trying to get at with the T5p. 

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 7
Tried the T5p with an iphone 5.  Bass was amply present as well as full mids and good treble extension.  I couldn't detect any tonal deficiencies with volume.  Bottom was still present at fairly low volume level.  I don't know if Apple is using the same internal DAC and amp as in the 4S, but if similar or identical, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the response.  

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 7
JaCal01 - Many thanks.  That really puts me in a quandary.  I had just convinced myself to just stick with my Sennheiser Momentums, but I still wish it just had more clarity and balance, particularly at lower volumes.  Obviously, a huge difference in price (and portability/user friendliness) between the two, but I'm hoping to enjoy whatever I decide to go with for years.  Hmmm.  This hobby can drive you mad!  Again, thank you.

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 7
The only way to be sure of getting what you want is to try the beyerdynamic T5p headphones with your iphone yourself.  Some of these audio companies (e.g. The Cable Company) have "lending libraries" that you can try the equipment out and return for a nominal cost (5% + shipping).  Most companies have a return policy less restocking (20%).

Good luck.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, the big "A" had them on sale at $300 off (I missed it when they were $340 off), so I picked up a pair to do a comparison while I can still return the Momentums.  So we'll see.  Many thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back