Beyerdynamic T5p portable amp?
Mar 16, 2012 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

GL1TCH3D

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, looking for suggestions on a portable amp for my new T5ps.
I need something pocket sized, not enormous like the HP-P1.
In terms of sound, I'd like something that has a bass boost function to help with some of those holes in the bass of the T5p and because they're bass light (to me anyway) straight from the iPhone.
My budget is something around 140$ shipped.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 21
I'm preparing to buy the T5p with amp and my choice so far is to buy the TTVJ Slim or the Headstage Arrow (although the extremely-long waiting list kinda turned me off).

Hope it helps

Another Last thing: Can you tell me your imperssions with the t5p? do you think they worth it?

Mar 16, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 21
So you're getting a... a 1300 dollar headphone, yet you dont' even have a DAC?  

confused_face(1).gif

For the power you need, I would definitely get the JDS Labs C421.  At it's range, I would say with High Gain it could power the T5p as it can power the HD650's.  I personally am pairing it with low impedance headphones so I can't give you my opinion on it with high level headphones.  But at a 100-200 price range, it's definitely the most powerful.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 21
So you're getting a... a 1300 dollar headphone, yet you dont' even have a DAC?  

confused_face(1).gif

For the power you need, I would definitely get the JDS Labs C421.  At it's range, I would say with High Gain it could power the T5p as it can power the HD650's.  I personally am pairing it with low impedance headphones so I can't give you my opinion on it with high level headphones.  But at a 100-200 price range, it's definitely the most powerful.

The T5p are low impedance xP I think you're mixing them up with the T1 which are high impedance and meant for home use with a nice dac and amp. The T5p has 32 ohms of impedance.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 21
I've been using the RSA SR-71A with my T5p's for the past year now. I couldn't recommend the combo more. It may be a bit outside the price you'd mentioned but when dealing with $1200 cans it makes sense to pair them with an amp of equal quality.

Mar 20, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 21
You didn't say you want something pocketable? the RSA SR-71's are not so pocketable (even for my huge coat) I'd recommend you to buy something like the TTVJ slim or the ALO RX Mk II or Mk III.
Fiio amp are great for price but won't be a fine pairing with cans that cost 12 times their price.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 21
You didn't say you want something pocketable? the RSA SR-71's are not so pocketable (even for my huge coat) I'd recommend you to buy something like the TTVJ slim or the ALO RX Mk II or Mk III.
Fiio amp are great for price but won't be a fine pairing with cans that cost 12 times their price.

Pairing with lower end amps was my main concern. And thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll save up some more money xP

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
Pairing with lower end amps was my main concern. And thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'll save up some more money xP

My suggestion is the TTVJ slim, it's cheaper (350$) and thinner than the ALO RX Mk 2(400$-500$) and doesn't 7 months waiting list like the Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G( which is also cost about 300-350$).

have a good day

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #14 of 21
My suggestion is the TTVJ slim, it's cheaper (350$) and thinner than the ALO RX Mk 2(400$-500$) and doesn't 7 months waiting list like the Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G( which is also cost about 300-350$).

have a good day

If I could get my hands on either the TTVJ or Headstage arrow, which one would you recommend more?
Could I bypass my iphone dac and use the DAC in the TTVJ slim? Or for portable use is it solely an amplifier?

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 21
the DAC section in the TTVJ Slim is strickly for use with computers, I-device won't work with him (through the iPad Camera kit you possibly can) and it will work as amplifier,which is the area the ipod mostly lacks, and not in the DAC section, I'l wait until some thinner and cheaper competitors to the CLAS and HP-P1 will come before I think about DAC-bypassing on my iPod.

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back