beyerdynamic T5p Generation 2 Impressions thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #16 of 30
I received my pair today. Definetly warmer, bass is punchier and sub bass is more present, but they are still not for bass heads. Treble is turned down a little...not sure I hear the same level of detail up there, but nothing disconcering. However this is still just a first impression within the first hour. No telling how burn in might effect anything. And I may be wrong, but I don't think these isolate as well as the original. I perceive more sound leakage than the original. Anyway I already packed my orginal back in it's box.

Thanks for this, how do you compare comfort between the two, specifically the earpads of the new one vs the old ones? And how is detail and transparency in general, not just in the treble area? Many thanks!

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #17 of 30
Thanks for this, how do you compare comfort between the two, specifically the earpads of the new one vs the old ones? And how is detail and transparency in general, not just in the treble area? Many thanks!

Actually I noticed that the synthetic leather pads feel more comfortable. The genuine leather feels like it sticks to my skin and gets hot quickly. I didn't notice this with the synthetic ones. But both are kinda heavy on the head.
I hesitate to say more about the sound now. I haven't had them long, and I wanna listen to a number of things still. I'll say that for now that they almost remind me of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.

Tranparency, judging this using David Chesky's Ultimate Demontration Disc's definition of Transparency with "Played Twice" by The Fred Hersch Trio. I'd say it is decent though not as good as the T1. The transients of the drum attacks and pluck of the bass strings are very detailed, and the cymbals also have appropriate airiness. But there is a bump in the low end starting around 100hz that makes the piano sound just little bit veiled however.

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #18 of 30
Actually I noticed that the synthetic leather pads feel more comfortable. The genuine leather feels like it sticks to my skin and gets hot quickly. I didn't notice this with the synthetic ones. But both are kinda heavy on the head.
I hesitate to say more about the sound now. I haven't had them long, and I wanna listen to a number of things still. I'll say that for now that they almost remind me of the Sennheiser Momentum 2.

Tranparency, judging this using David Chesky's Ultimate Demontration Disc's definition of Transparency with "Played Twice" by The Fred Hersch Trio. I'd say it is decent though not as good as the T1. The transients of the drum attacks and pluck of the bass strings are very detailed, and the cymbals also have appropriate airiness. But there is a bump in the low end starting around 100hz that makes the piano sound just little bit veiled however.

Thanks. Hope further listening distances them from the Momentum 2, as the price difference is considerable! It would be a let down if they sound similar. As for comparison to T1, its maybe a bit unfair, given the closed nature, but was wondering how they fare compared to other similar priced closed backs, such Ether or El-8....

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #19 of 30
Thanks. Hope further listening distances them from the Momentum 2, as the price difference is considerable! It would be a let down if they sound similar. As for comparison to T1, its maybe a bit unfair, given the closed nature, but was wondering how they fare compared to other similar priced closed backs, such Ether or El-8....

In terms of color they are comparable. The Momentums 2 are darker though.But theres more to it than just color in headphones. Theres high definition, naturalness, imaging, transients and bass quality and overall visceral impact. The T5p succeed at all these qualities compared to the Momentum 2. They have not lost what they are well known for originally. The biggest difference is in its warmth. Which right outside the box may be bit dramatic will genres like Jazz. I own all the headphones in the Tesla line except the T51p and DT1770. And the T5p 2nd gen is the warmest.

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #22 of 30
Listened to the beyerdynamic T1 and T5p gen 2 at CanJam Singapore. Used Macbook > Mojo > headphones and also Mojo > A2 amp > headphones.

Impression of T5p is slightly more bass and less bright compared to the T5p (which I own one). It weighs less and has detachable cords and that is about all I can think of this gen 2 vs gen 1. Overall, it is a good headphone but I am not impressed. For more money, I will go for the Mr Speaker Ether C. For a lot less money, I will go for the Meze 99 Classic, which has larger soundstage and bass (although the bass is not as tight or defined as I have heard in HD800S). The Meze isolates better and is more comfortable than the T5P.  

I also had my HD800S with me and did an A/B comparison with the 2 Beyers. The 800S is much better than T1 gen2 for its bass and soundstage although details are about the same. It would be interesting to compare the two using balanced cables now that the gen2 have detachable cables. The T1 is better sounding to me than the T5P for the same list price although it does not isolate ambiance noise as an open can.

T1 gen 2 and A2 amp

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #23 of 30
I was a bit disappointed with the T5p.2. I thought it would displace the DT1770 as my fav closed-back headphone. But sadly, it still doesn't have any good bass and does not respond well to EQ when I turned on XBass on my iDSD Micro. I also cringed as the sound was too clean and I couldn't listen to it for long. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #24 of 30
  I was a bit disappointed with the T5p.2. I thought it would displace the DT1770 as my fav closed-back headphone. But sadly, it still doesn't have any good bass and does not respond well to EQ when I turned on XBass on my iDSD Micro. I also cringed as the sound was too clean and I couldn't listen to it for long. 

You're in luck: a headphone you like better and its 2/3 the price. Plus you already own it...

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #25 of 30
i own t5p 1st gen,
after left driver died, beyer installed a pair of 2end gen. drivers ...
with 1st gen housing and leather earspads i have to say i am impressed!

2my ears sound is warmer with more body in mids, sound gained more weight and authority.
treble is silky smooth, micro/macro details are top notch! 2end gen. is more refined and detailed headphone , but details presented in a smooth way, it won't grab your ears with fireworks right away but once "your ears sink in the music" you start notice how detailed this headphones really are...

those who have a high end dac will know what i am talking about and will be pleasantly surprised...

2end gen. comparing to 1st gen sound less artificial , less sharp.  Now the sound is more organic, warmer , lush ...
don't know how it would sound if pair with already warm amp or source, maybe would be too much for my taste ...
but with a neutral gear i have  t5p 2end gen sounds cool.

and the bass, well now theres more of it , mid bass and subbas is definitely more in quantity but i don't think it makes a headphone better, bass is kind of too warm for my taste, too wooly...
i prefer bass of 1st gen, it was tighter , cleaner ...
but don't get me wrong , 2end gen bass is fine )

i don't know if its new toy syndrome but i right now it sounds like 2end gen is more specious and transparent ...

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #26 of 30
I've had my pair of 2nd gens around 2 months now and I don't have any experience with the first generation but I can say that I love these headphones they sound great with any kind of music I throw at them and they sound fantastic straight through my portable players and even better through my chord Mojo. They are also extremely comfortable and well built I can wear them for hours with no fatigue, the pads seal well and don't build any kind of moisture on my ears. These are a great closed headphone option and I love them!

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #29 of 30
I am finding some interesting comments as I am considering returning my HD800 S because as of now T5P 2nd gen sound as good if not better. But I would not have said that until I upgraded my DAP from iBasso DX80, which only has SE headphone output to iBasso DX200 which has balanced headphone output. I also bought LQi Esprit balanced cable. It was like T5P turned into an entirely different headphone. I am a little curious if the extra power of balanced output could make such a difference in fairly efficient T5P then maybe more power can really help HD800 S so still debating on what to do. It is becoming very apparent to this high end newbie that different components in music chain can really make a difference. I have had same T5P 2g but with new components I am enjoying much more and I thought before they were pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back