Beyerdynamic T51i vs. Sennheiser PX 100-ii
Nov 13, 2017 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

incrypto

New Head-Fier
Hi all- I haven't posted here in a long time. I'm looking for a great pair of on-ear headphones mostly for work and listening in bed when my gf is asleep. I think I have it narrowed down to these two. Has anyone had experience with both of these? I'm 1st concerned with sound quality and then 2nd with comfort for wearing at work for several hours in a row. Also, I mostly listen to classical music of every kind, although of course I listen to other music as well. Thanks!

Nov 13, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 8
I directly compared the Sennheiser PX 100-II to the Koss KTXPRO1 when I owned both, and surprisingly, the Koss destroyed the Senn in terms of sound quality despite costing under $20. (Though the Senn has better build quality, aesthetics, and slightly better comfort.) Both are among the most comfortable headphones I've worn and don't even touch my glasses, which is rare.

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 8
I directly compared the Sennheiser PX 100-II to the Koss KTXPRO1 when I owned both, and surprisingly, the Koss destroyed the Senn in terms of sound quality despite costing under $20. (Though the Senn has better build quality, aesthetics, and slightly better comfort.) Both are among the most comfortable headphones I've worn and don't even touch my glasses, which is rare.

"Destroyed"... wow?! i can see why you'd prefer the Koss over the Senn, but I wouldn't go as far as that. The Koss is a little bit more easy listening (in a good way). Nice smooth all round sound that a lot of casual listener will enjoy, the PX is also smooth but has bit more attack and bite. Mids are better on the Koss, bass and treble better on the PX. Vocals more "euphoric" on the Koss. Soundstage is slightly similar but the PX has more air in between things so in comparison can sound a wee bit thinner but more open. I prefer the Senn as it's a tighter sound, but the Koss is a great little set too for enjoying many genres.

The PX always sounded a bit like a smoother HD25ii

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi all- I haven't posted here in a long time. I'm looking for a great pair of on-ear headphones mostly for work and listening in bed when my gf is asleep. I think I have it narrowed down to these two. Has anyone had experience with both of these? I'm 1st concerned with sound quality and then 2nd with comfort for wearing at work for several hours in a row. Also, I mostly listen to classical music of every kind, although of course I listen to other music as well. Thanks!

You do know the PX200ii is open ear so music will leak?

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 8
"Destroyed"... wow?! i can see why you'd prefer the Koss over the Senn, but I wouldn't go as far as that. The Koss is a little bit more easy listening (in a good way). Nice smooth all round sound that a lot of casual listener will enjoy, the PX is also smooth but has bit more attack and bite. Mids are better on the Koss, bass and treble better on the PX. Vocals more "euphoric" on the Koss. Soundstage is slightly similar but the PX has more air in between things so in comparison can sound a wee bit thinner but more open. I prefer the Senn as it's a tighter sound, but the Koss is a great little set too for enjoying many genres.

The PX always sounded a bit like a smoother HD25ii

Just goes to show ya how subjective all this is. For me, the Koss was better in every way to the extent that the Senn just sounded underwhelming. The Koss also has much stronger dynamics, sounds more open and transparent, etc. But I drove it (and compared them) primarily from a Chord Mojo, which lets it scale considerably. If you drive it from cheap electronics, it isn't so impressive.

Nov 14, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, totally agree with you. It's funny cos I'd say the PX had the stronger dynamics is more open and transparent lol, even driven from decent amp

Nov 14, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks everyone for the interesting feedback on the PX and Koss. I think I might lean a little to the Sennheiser just because my gf has them and so I'm familiar with the sound. Curious how the sound compares with the Beyerdynamic T51i, especially for classical, although that's not all I listen too.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Yes, i think you'd enjoy the sound on both, but the PX does have that signature Senn house sound. The bass is just fantastic for such a tiny set. They're also REALLY good for movies and TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back