Beyerdynamic t51 - cannot remove driver? How can I remove?
Aug 7, 2015 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ukon16

Head-Fier
I decided to repair a pair of beyerdyamic t51s a friend said was busted. I tried soldering on a new 3.5mm jack but still had no sound on one side.....trying to remove the drivers despite guides on this website is proving to be impossible. I've tried a knife, pressure to pop it out, and I'm considering power drilling a hole. Guides say you need a sharp knife to pop it out between the wedge but it's practically glued in there.

Even worse, I poked a hole into the white cloth driver fabric....arggh!

Any ideas before I start pulling out saws and drills?

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 10
We've recabled  t5p many times. As far as I remember driver is not glued. It is fixed by some kind of latches on the edge. You just need a lot of patience to remove it from the cup with some sharp instrument. But beware to push very hard cause too much pressure can damage the driver.

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 10
While only different by one letter, the t51 is quite different from the t5p. The t5p has the typical Tesla drivers that are easily removed with a slightly modified letter opener from Staples, at least that's what I've found is easiest over the years. I did recable a t51 previously with Cardas wiring, unfortunately I don't recall the procedure. I wouldn't drill a hole if you can help it. Beyerdynamics, especially the Tesla drivers, are sensitive to air venting within the cup. 

May 31, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 10
I want to do the same and need to replace the cable of my T51p headphones. I would like to use a balanced 4.4 mm plug + new cable. What kind of cable is shown in the last picture and where can I buy this? There are so many available but all of them are oversized and overpriced. Could somebody give me a hint where I can buy this thin 4 pole twisted cable + this nice Y split part on the picture?

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 10
SOLVED!! Safe removal of T51p/T51i drivers.

You simply need a small hook (90 degree hook would suffice) that will go inside the hole that I have highlighted on borrowed image. Hold the cup and then insert hook and pull with a bit of force but not too much and hey presto, out pops the driver. Bad news for me is its not the cable thats at fault its yet another one of these damned drivers that has decided to go almost silent. Tiniest of signal but a tenth of the other driver. I even resoldered the dodgy one onto good side and made no difference. lets see what astronomical fee Beyer want for a single driver.

If anyone out there has a broken pair and wants to sell the driver to me please let me know asap. 7657409.jpg

Sep 29, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 10
SOLVED!! Safe removal of T51p/T51i drivers.

You simply need a small hook (90 degree hook would suffice) that will go inside the hole that I have highlighted on borrowed image. Hold the cup and then insert hook and pull with a bit of force but not too much and hey presto, out pops the driver. Bad news for me is its not the cable thats at fault its yet another one of these damned drivers that has decided to go almost silent. Tiniest of signal but a tenth of the other driver. I even resoldered the dodgy one onto good side and made no difference. lets see what astronomical fee Beyer want for a single driver.

If anyone out there has a broken pair and wants to sell the driver to me please let me know asap. 7657409.jpg
Hey I have the same pair of headphones my left side isn't working, are you willing to sell your driver's?

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 10
Alas no. Am looking for spare driver myself. Beyer didnt even bother responding to my driver query. They dont supply.

Very frustrating.
Did you ever have any success in obtaining spare drivers? My T51i have suddenly become very low volume on one channel, so I wondered if replacing a driver was possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back