Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Apr 21, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #271 of 727
I just sold my T5 3rd Gen and kept the T5P 2nd Gen. The latter is my favorite headphone of all that I have owned. It was such a surprise to me how good it was and continues to be. The engagement factor is off the charts! I only listen to EDM through headphones, so I have no idea how it would fare with other genres. The 3rd Gen was just so unremarkable to me. I found myself realizing that I wasn't paying much attention to the music, which is always the sign that the headphones are not for me. There was also the surprising fact that I had a hard time selling them. No one seemed to be interested and I lost almost $300 in the sale.

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #272 of 727
The T5 gen 3 does not punch above it's weight class. I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. I have a pair of Focal Celestee, Aeon 2 Noire and used to own a pair of T5 gen 3. The T5 gen 3 are on par with the Celestee and Aeon 2 Noire at best.
From a subjective point of view, the T5 (3rd Gen) has a sound signature that is pleasant to my ears. On the objective front, I think that the Beyerdynamic does pretty well in the technical aspect of things. It has a tonality that eschews the typical "audiophile-esque" characterizations; for what it's worth, though, the T5 (3rd Gen) performs rather well in its particular niche.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #273 of 727
I just sold my T5 3rd Gen and kept the T5P 2nd Gen. The latter is my favorite headphone of all that I have owned. It was such a surprise to me how good it was and continues to be. The engagement factor is off the charts! I only listen to EDM through headphones, so I have no idea how it would fare with other genres. The 3rd Gen was just so unremarkable to me. I found myself realizing that I wasn't paying much attention to the music, which is always the sign that the headphones are not for me. There was also the surprising fact that I had a hard time selling them. No one seemed to be interested and I lost almost $300 in the sale.

For EDM, I think the T5p.2 was very good, it suited the music very well. However, on older recordings or music mastered in a certain way (usually non-electronic music) it was just not as engaging as it should be. Like my music was not as enticing as I remembered it to be. The T5 fixes that, at the cost of some of the brilliance of the T5p.2.

I always found that funny, as the Tesla drivers were once marketed as being able to get everything out of the music but never really did (always something missing)! My first (T70p) was just brightness, no low-end. What a journey it has been to get to the T5p.2 and T5.3!

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #274 of 727
From a subjective point of view, the T5 (3rd Gen) has a sound signature that is pleasant to my ears. On the objective front, I think that the Beyerdynamic does pretty well in the technical aspect of things. It has a tonality that eschews the typical "audiophile-esque" characterizations; for what it's worth, though, the T5 (3rd Gen) performs rather well in its particular niche.
Well put, i am a typical example, if T5 3d was really too dark or muddy or overcooked bass and completely lacking treble i would have sold, moved on by now, i equally enjoy Denon 9200 which are so contrasting, yet i find myself particularly in favour of these Beyers because they do stuff well on technical level as well as on enjoyment level, every time i am surprised how good they are, expecting to almost not hear something(say, in treble details) only to find out it sounds better than most obviously liked headphones.
A keeper for me, so unique 🎶🎶

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #275 of 727
So many differing opinions. I wish I could demo these for myself. I've asked how dark the darkness actually is many times, even compared other headphones like the 7200 and NightOwl. At any rate, these do sound like they might be good for rock and metal, including poorly recorded albums found with many 80s hair metal bands.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #276 of 727
I might get a set as an other option to the dt1990 I own

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #282 of 727
I already have:
- Shure SRH1540, nice and solid, detailed sound but very plane. Also not comfortable headband, can't use them more than one hour. Pads comfortable, but a bit hot.
- Beyerdynamic DT-770, awesome bass (so deep and tight, like I can really feel sub bass vibrations), super comfortable for me. But to much highs in some tracks, lacks details on instrument saturated tracks.
- Fostex T40RP mk3 with SRH1540 pads. Only this pads brings some bass to Fostex. Good detailed sound, really incredible. Gonna do some mods in future.

And now I am looking for headphones with more detailed sound than Fostex and Shure, great bass as DT770, and not so explicit highs. Should be a close-back with good isolation.
Considering:
1 - Beyerdynamic T5 3rd
2 - Fostex TH-610
3 - Fostex TH-900 mk2

I've read the entire thread and it looks like T5 is exactly what I need.:)

How is T5 compared to Fostexes?
Are the T5 pads identical to DT770 pads?

I am listening to very different types of music: metal, rock, blues, some classics, little electronics.

Source - SPL Phonitor se & DAC768xs.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #283 of 727
Since you are looking for good isolation, I think the T5 3 would be a good choice. I don't care about bass at all but I have noticed that the T5 3 is a bit on the dark side.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #285 of 727
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• P007
Back