Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #256 of 728
Any comparisons with the Audioquest Nightowl? I'm assuming these aren't quite as dark? I'd also like to hear some thoughts on how these compare to the T1 3rd. I think I want to pick up one or the other, but don't know which one. It sounds like the T1 is possibly even darker than the T5, but aside from that, I've ran across more similarities than differences.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #257 of 728
Any comparisons with the Audioquest Nightowl? I'm assuming these aren't quite as dark? I'd also like to hear some thoughts on how these compare to the T1 3rd. I think I want to pick up one or the other, but don't know which one. It sounds like the T1 is possibly even darker than the T5, but aside from that, I've ran across more similarities than differences.
I have not heard the Nightowl, but I can say that the T1.3 has more bass impact and sounded slightly darker overall than the T5.3 when I had the two on loan. But if it was for the sound alone, I would choose the T1.3 for its higher resolution and better soundstage.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #258 of 728
I guess Beyerdynamics high-end headphones are pretty underrated?
Yes, I think they actually are. That unfortunate notion is probably due, in large part, to their (grounded) pricing structure. In today's day and age, $1,000 for a flagship headphone is... nothing too impressive.

Sadly, the T5 (3rd Gen) is a very capable headphone, and punches above its weight class.

Mar 4, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #259 of 728
It's been some time since I've heard the NightOwl, but if my memory serves me right, the T5 (3rd Gen) and the NightOwl Carbon are neck and neck in terms of the treble presentation - both are smooth, liquid, and lacking in harsh peaks. The lows on the Beyerdynamic flagship is a touch heavier around the mid-bass, though.

Mar 4, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #260 of 728
Yes, I think they actually are. That unfortunate notion is probably due, in large part, to their (grounded) pricing structure. In today's day and age, $1,000 for a flagship headphone is... nothing too impressive.

Sadly, the T5 (3rd Gen) is a very capable headphone, and punches above its weight class.
Not only that, I have yet to see Beyerdynamic selling headphones of over €1000 and the max is €999(?) While all the others sells them for way above €1000 like 2000 all the way up to €5000 or more. So this little T5p.2 of €779 is peasantry level, low class and totally umimpressive.

I have no doubt the T5 3rd Gen is a very capable headphone.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #261 of 728
It's been some time since I've heard the NightOwl, but if my memory serves me right, the T5 (3rd Gen) and the NightOwl Carbon are neck and neck in terms of the treble presentation - both are smooth, liquid, and lacking in harsh peaks. The lows on the Beyerdynamic flagship is a touch heavier around the mid-bass, though.
So the NightOwl with a little extra meat on it, and better resolution. On one hand that's tempting, on the other it's not tempting at all 🤔. If I try one, I'll think I'll wait to run across some better pricing. Thank you - as always.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #262 of 728
Here’s a question, t5 3 or celestee?

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #263 of 728
Here’s a question, t5 3 or celestee?
If it would be me choosing which to buy for myself: probably the T5 and that's an honest answer.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #265 of 728
Can anyone compare - contrast these against the Denon ah-d7200?
Comparing between the Denon ah-d9200 and the AKG K812s, they both sound similarly bright and detailed on my semi-expensive, neutral amplifier, with no EQ.
(Monolith 124459 Desktop Headphone Amplifier and DAC)

After being away from my computer for a bit, both seem accurate but a bit grating in the high-end at a moderate-high listening level.

The Beyers sound good. I think I can hear everything that I need to at a natural timber, although for mixing, I'd go with the AKG K812 and Denons, as I suspect that perhaps some songs were mixed overly bright accidentally.

Perhaps the Beyers need to be adjusted to in order to mix or master with them, but I think they are better for your hearing in the long-term if you need to listen at high volume on a closed-back. This is what I suspect, anyway. Just to be safe, I'd mix in low-level listening with a brighter headphone like the AKG K812 or Denons in order to form a more accurate picture of how songs should be mixed.

The amplifier is important, however, and should always factor into these discussions.

I tend to near-max out my windows volume and adjust the amplifier volume directly to avoid accidentally blowing out my ears when I'm using a true ASIO driver. Depending on how much impedance your headphones are, some headphones will be wildly different volumes at the same settings, and this danger is exacerbated if you go from a high-impedance open-back to a low-impedance closed-back.

Fit on all headphones is crucial. I would be patient with the headphones automatically adjusting, they will loosen on their own, and you can (but maybe shouldn't right away) stretch out the headphones on a book slightly larger than your head.

If the bass is too thick and syrupy for too long maybe just start stretching them. I have a rather large head.

Sorry, I thought the D9200 and D7200s were the same thing for a sec, but maybe this post will be of use.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #266 of 728
I’m after a headphone to use in an office even I return to it. I’m considering aeon 2 noire, t5 3rd gen, z7mk2 or if anyone can think anything else. I have really good open backs rad0, elex etc

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #267 of 728
This week, I've traded in my T5p.2 for a pair of T5.

I must say that I was a bit afraid that they would be too dark, as I very much enjoyed the open sound of the T5p.2. However, I also thought the T5p.2 were sometimes just a bit too 'flat' or 'lifeless' with some songs. This happened mostly to some older (rock) recordings; most modern music is mastered very hard anyhow which messes with dynamics.

The T5 is indeed a bit less airy or bright, but it does fix the lifelessness I perceived with the T5p/2 on occasions. I can't notice any detail missing, soundstage is about the same (maybe a bit more intimate). On the other hand, I seem to be able to notice the high-mid bump; especially on vocals and guitars I can notice it. I never felt the T5p.2 sounded hollow in the mids, as some have said. But now I understand what people mean; the T5 is certainly fuller-bodied in the mids.

Will report back later, I've just had them for a day but wanted to share when my memory of the T5p.2 was still fresh!

Regards

Apr 21, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #268 of 728
I’m after a headphone to use in an office even I return to it. I’m considering aeon 2 noire, t5 3rd gen, z7mk2 or if anyone can think anything else. I have really good open backs rad0, elex etc

I am considering the same phones, minus the z7mk2 for the same purpose (but it is also my only set..) You may also want to give the Shure srh1540's a try. Really like the signature of the Denon 9200's, but the price is just that much too high...and other phones like the Aeon 2, Beyer, and Shures all are not only cheaper to buy, but have way cheaper/more available pads, and great build quality.*

Still waiting for stores to re-open so I can actually try them all.... since comfort is top priority in the choice.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #269 of 728

The T5 gen 3 does not punch above it's weight class. I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. I have a pair of Focal Celestee, Aeon 2 Noire and used to own a pair of T5 gen 3. The T5 gen 3 are on par with the Celestee and Aeon 2 Noire at best.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #270 of 728
The T5 gen 3 does not punch above it's weight class. I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion. I have a pair of Focal Celestee, Aeon 2 Noire and used to own a pair of T5 gen 3. The T5 gen 3 are on par with the Celestee and Aeon 2 Noire at best.

I have a hard time believing you or anyone can be completely objective about something punching above its weight class.

I was impressed with many wrong opinions about the Beyers until a stint in the hospital forced me to be away from headphones for four days. When I returned one of my first listens were on the Beyers. Your brain gets used to and adapts to different sound signatures. The beyers are certainly of a different sound signature but appear to be extremely excellent in reproducing the signature they were going for. I don't know how something can "punch above" or "punch below" at doing something it so obviously achieves.

Yes, they sound different than most headphones, but when your brain adjusts it is a very pleasant experience, and in my estimation they're healthier for your ears for long sessions with overly bright source material. The sounds are still there but tamed back so as to not scrape your senses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back