Beyerdynamic T1 vs Ultrasone Signature Pro
Jan 20, 2012 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Ahzari

1000+ Head-Fier
Interested in both of these, similarly priced.. was wondering (for those who have demoed both or own both what are your impressions)..

I listed to mostly electronic music and variations of it (new age/lounge/techno/house), some rock/alternative.. Very sensitive to sibilance and well, looking for a great all arounder to compliment my D7000s (or maybe even replace if that good).

Using my Peachtree audio decco2 as a dac and Woo Audio WA6SE as my amp.

Any opinions!? Thanks.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 27
I've never heard the T1s, but I have heard other various Beyers.  It seems that the Beyers I have heard are cut from similar cloths, and they all have sibilance.  Maybe, since the T1s are Teslas, they don't have sibilance.  But, it seems Beyers tend to all perform that way.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 27

Quote:
I've never heard the T1s, but I have heard other various Beyers.  It seems that the Beyers I have heard are cut from similar cloths, and they all have sibilance.  Maybe, since the T1s are Teslas, they don't have sibilance.  But, it seems Beyers tend to all perform that way.

I did previously have the Beyer dt990 32ohm model (briefly) and remember liking the sound, but it was a bit too harsh for my ears (like the ultrasone pro 900).. Problem is both lower model beyers and ultrasone are known to have harsh'ish treble response.. so my question is do their top models fix this, while being cut from the same cloth... and which one is a better value/all around can.

- Have gotten a few responses on other threads, but I thought if there are more people out there with opinions, this would be a good comparison thread for these two premium headphones.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 27
The T1s are said to be definitely more smooth and sweet than the DT line, but I don't know if they corrected the sibilance.

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 27
looks like I have one on the way to try out :)

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
looks like I have one on the way to try out :)

nice!
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
The T1s are said to be definitely more smooth and sweet than the DT line, but I don't know if they corrected the sibilance.

Quote:

This is what confuses the people. You say you never heard them they you say they are smooth and wonder if they correct the sibilance. There is no sibilance in my T1 with my source and decware amps. i also never state things on gear I have never heard and its apparent you dont own the T1 nor have heard one so how  can you make a comment on their sound siognature. i have lived with the T1 for almost 2 yeas now and have mujltiple amps and three sources and unless the recording is poor there is no sibilance in the T1. It is accurate in playing what it is fed.And owning the 880 and two different 770 model I will say not all Beyers sound the same .

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 27

Quote:

This is what confuses the people. You say you never heard them they you say they are smooth and wonder if they correct the sibilance. There is no sibilance in my T1 with my source and decware amps. i also never state things on gear I have never heard and its apparent you dont own the T1 nor have heard one so how  can you make a comment on their sound siognature. i have lived with the T1 for almost 2 yeas now and have mujltiple amps and three sources and unless the recording is poor there is no sibilance in the T1. It is accurate in playing what it is fed.And owning the 880 and two different 770 model I will say not all Beyers sound the same .

Thanks for the help fhuang - I PMed you before

Also Frank (appreciate the comments).. I was reading the headphonia comparison between the HD800 and T1 and the reviewer mentioned both had the potential to be sibilant, but the HD800s were slightly warmer.. That made me super confused because everywhere I read comments about the T1 vs the HD800 on headfi, it was the opposite that was being stated. Though it seems like both headphones are so neutral that they adapt to the amp/dac sound signature more than colored headphones. I wonder how neutral the ultrasones sig pros are haha I really wish I had them side by side for comparison...

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 27
doesn't really matter though.  we all have different gears and different music and different ears so i guess sometimes by just reading could be "more accurate" :)

i forgot one thing, you heard the "pro" line and i think signature pro sound more like the "hfi" line.  a little different.  i personally enjoy the hfi line better.

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 27
I listen to the T1's exclusively with electronic music and can say it is the best that I have yet to hear with electronic music and that's why I chose it. Has a good amount of bass impact yet, still extending quite deep and remaining detailed, it also has some great highs, they add energy to the music that just bring the music to life. The T1 is a headphone that I can live with and never feel the need to upgrade.

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 27

Quote:
doesn't really matter though.  we all have different gears and different music and different ears so i guess sometimes by just reading could be "more accurate" :)

i forgot one thing, you heard the "pro" line and i think signature pro sound more like the "hfi" line.  a little different.  i personally enjoy the hfi line better.

-ive never heard the hifi line; this might sound dumb, but the reason i went for the pro line (besides the relatively good reviews and looks) was because of the case and the added accessories (thought it was cool at the time)... if I end up really liking the T1s I'll likely end up keeping them and put the sig pros on the back burner. From what I remember I liked the beyer dt990 better than the ultrasone pro 900s, but my equipment has changed a lot since then, I hear the T1s match nicely with tubes.. we'll see :)

Quote:
I listen to the T1's exclusively with electronic music and can say it is the best that I have yet to hear with electronic music and that's why I chose it. Has a good amount of bass impact yet, still extending quite deep and remaining detailed, it also has some great highs, they add energy to the music that just bring the music to life. The T1 is a headphone that I can live with and never feel the need to upgrade.

Good to know! id say 90% of the music I listen to currently is a electronic blend.

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 27
Well, you are comparing open vs closed.

In home use, I definitely think T1 will win out in the end. It also gains better with the amps you have.

I've heard the T1s, but I've never heard the Signature Pro. I can't do much of a comparison.

Obviously, there are different advantages that each phones have, but with the upper hand that T1 has, my 2 cents go for T1.

For me, I'm leaning toward the Sig Pros, just because Pros could be used outside as well. They sell pros for relatively cheaper prices.. I'm leaning toward them, but it's your choice.

In my opinion, there are no single closed phone that could beat T1. I've never heard Stax 4070, nor Sony L3000 or something.

Jan 22, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #13 of 27

Quote:
Well, you are comparing open vs closed.

In home use, I definitely think T1 will win out in the end. It also gains better with the amps you have.

I've heard the T1s, but I've never heard the Signature Pro. I can't do much of a comparison.

Obviously, there are different advantages that each phones have, but with the upper hand that T1 has, my 2 cents go for T1.

For me, I'm leaning toward the Sig Pros, just because Pros could be used outside as well. They sell pros for relatively cheaper prices.. I'm leaning toward them, but it's your choice.

In my opinion, there are no single closed phone that could beat T1. I've never heard Stax 4070, nor Sony L3000 or something.

Yea it seems like there aren't very many Sig Pro reviews out there, I tried google'ing and there was nada... which is surprising, I would think Ultrasone would be sending these guys to reviewers ASAP to market them. I don't have a pair of phones I use outdoors, but I don't think I would really use them outdoors too much either, I feel silly wearing big headphones in coffee shops or even planes, I have my klipsch in ear monitors for that purpose. I also have my Denon D7000s as my go to closed can, which is pairing really really well with the WA6SE.. so if the general consensus is that the T1 could out-handle the Sig Pros in a home setting with proper amplification I think its a winner for me. I'll have some early impressions up monday night probably.. They should be arriving Monday afternoon :)

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #14 of 27
we all have different gears and different music and different ears

Well stated.

LOL, some people here think that because something sounds good/bad to them their opinions are gospel.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 27
So after loaning a pair of T1s for about a week I have to say they didn't really impress me all that much. They were a very good can, excellent treble (the best I have heard to date... clear but not harsh), good bass, good mids, but in the end after quite a bit side by side comparison with my Denon D7000s I didn't feel like the T1s did enough things that much better than the Denons to warrant a purchase. I personally wasn't crazy about their build either. I actually ended up ordering the Signature Pros, I thought the 2900s were pretty good, so if Ultrasone put together a phone that does everything a bit better than the 2900s within a in a nicer package, it sounds like a winner to me.. plus I was able to get it for a few hundred less than the T1s. Ill have some impressions of the ultrasones once I get them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back