Beyerdynamic T1 Recable Options Need Help (other headphone owners are welcom)
Jan 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Seamaster

Headphoneus Supremus
Pretty sure not long after I got my T1. I will have them recabled. I could not dicide which one to go. So please share your experience with each cable maker's sound signature. This is not limited to T1, other headphones are welcom too.

I only familair with Cardas, Stefan AudioArt Equinox, and Zu Mobius

Also I have seen APS already recabled one pair T1, Did they keep using T1's 6 wire system or moded them to 4 wire system?
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 4
Of course, nobody can offer anything but speculation at this point, unless one of the few folks who already own a pair of T1's has begun to experiment with replacement cables.

But my take on it is this: as with anything else in the chain, cables can and normally (in my experience, and subjective opinion) do have an impact on the sonic signature, and thus different cables may well interact with different headphones in different ways. In other words, just because I prefer the Moon Audio Silver Dragon to the Zu Mobius on my HD650's doesn't mean that I'll have the same preference on my Qualia 010's (and in fact, don't).

For the HD650's, I like the extra treble spark that the Silver Dragon provides because I find them to otherwise be a quite heavy lower mids and bass oriented headphone. With the Qualia 010, if anything, I want to tame the upper regions and bring out more lushness in the mids, and the Zu Mobius helps a bit in that regard. The differences are subtle, definitely not night and day; and I'd be happier with either cable on either pair of headphones than I would be with either of the stock cables.

Thus, if I'm going to make an expensive cable upgrade, I'm going to first get to know the headphones in question (T1's in this case). Then I'll have at least a general idea about what I'm "after" with the cable swap.

So now I'll offer a shameless plug for one of the good guys and long time sponsors of Head-Fi. Drew, at Moon Audio, has been working on a possible T1 mod that would involve putting in connectors on the headphones to allow owners to do cable swaps (rather than hard wiring in a given replacement cable). Thus, if he's able to do this (which we're all hoping for), you would be able to attend an event like CanJam in Chicago (June 5th and 6th) and compare the Black Dragon, Blue Dragon and Silver Dragon cables on the T1. A real die hard T1 owner might want to own more than one replacement cable and try different ones with different types of music. I know I used to do this with the HD600 and HD650, and had a lot of fun experimenting.

I hope Drew can pull it off, but I guess it depends of the headphones themselves and whether there will be room to make the necessary mods, etc. But just for the effort alone, even if such connectors cannot be fit to the T1, I think he deserves my cable upgrade business (if I decide that the T1's leave something on the table that a cable improvement might be able to address).

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes, I already posted about this connector mod at Moon Audio forum. Drew even OKed to use wire of my choise between driver and connector. As now, Drew dose not have T1 on hand, he can't test out.

Jun 29, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Has Drew been able to put connectors to use detachable cables with the T1's? Has anyone re-cabled the T1's? Would you comment on sonic differences from the stock cable? I would like to my upgrade cable, and use a detachable cable with other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back