Beyerdynamic T1 or Grado Rs1i for rock/metal?
Dec 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #31 of 49
  The Beyerdynamic T1 has a large soundstage, positively massive compared to most Grado's. It isn't is pretty good for Video games due to the soundstaging size, width and depth as well as movie watching. Imaging is pretty good but not the best ever. I enjoy them for rock music, however the sound is laid back overall. It does well for all genres.

Beyerdynamic T1

Strengths
- Large soundstage
- Neutral + very good for most genres
- good imaging compared to most headphones
- highly detailed
- good moviewatching and pretty great for gaming

Weaknesses
- treble is tizzy and uncontrolled with certain recordings that excite the treble spike
- lacks a slight amount of refinement compared to some other top flight models
- Solid State sounds bright with them as they measure flat, might be preferable for a tube amp to roll down the highs a bit

Grado RS1i

Strengths
- Very fast sound while having natural decay
- unmatched tone for heavy guitar's, literally my favorite tone for more oomph and aggression
- very nice midbass bump for bass guitar and drums

weaknesses
- can be very aggressive in the mids for some (not me)
- small soundstage and average imaging
- not enough soundstaging + imaging quality for games, not the greatest for movies.

Depends on what you ultimately want. The Beyer T1 is very expensive for the average joe, but is one of the ultimate all rounders. There are better headphones out there though, but they are better in some genres and not others.

Was going to write a couple of paragraphs talking about the two, but this is perfect. Well done, sir. :)

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #32 of 49
Which headphone would be a nice balance between comfort, music (Rock/Metal/Acoustic) and gaming? I'm will be getting the high end Grado's if I like the SR80i, but for gaming, maybe they are not good enough for sound whoring..

Dec 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 49
Like I said earlier, the Beyerdynamic T1 is very much top end and sounds very very good with all genres. Especially acoustic as well. It is expansive in the soundstage and imaging is very good for gaming. It could easily do both things comfortably.

In pure high fidelity it smokes the Grado models, but the Grado's have a magic with a euphoric guitar/instrument sound that is very well appreciated (not for everyone).

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #35 of 49
  Like I said earlier, the Beyerdynamic T1 is very much top end and sounds very very good with all genres. Especially acoustic as well. It is expansive in the soundstage and imaging is very good for gaming. It could easily do both things comfortably.

In pure high fidelity it smokes the Grado models, but the Grado's have a magic with a euphoric guitar/instrument sound that is very well appreciated (not for everyone).

The problem is, the T1 is soo expensive. If I get the RS1i's later on, the T1's will be out of my price range. Maybe the DT 880 600 ohms will be enough? I was reading some reviews saying that they are very close to the T1's sound, but much less expensive!

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 49
Have you considered the T90? Its great for all genres, and has similar signature as the T1.  Much better than the DT880 IMO.  I love the Grado sound as well, but the T1/T90 are in a different league when it comes to sound fidelity.

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #37 of 49
  Have you considered the T90? Its great for all genres, and has similar signature as the T1.  Much better than the DT880 IMO.  I love the Grado sound as well, but the T1/T90 are in a different league when it comes to sound fidelity.

+1 Exactly this. 

you can't afford the T1.....get the t90 and enjoy 90% of what the T1 does. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #38 of 49
Just be aware that the Beyerdynamic T90 has a fair bit more treble than even the T1, too much for some peoples ears.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #39 of 49
Yes, the T90 does have lots of energy in the high frequencies, but not nearly as hot as Grados.  I would imagine that anyone who likes the Grado sound should have no problem with the T90's highs. 

With proper amping, the T90 has a very open and resolving treble.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #40 of 49
  Yes, the T90 does have lots of energy in the high frequencies, but not nearly as hot as Grados.  I would imagine that anyone who likes the Grado sound should have no problem with the T90's highs. 

With proper amping, the T90 has a very open and resolving treble.

Of course, I'm just saying it as something the OP should consider as well. I don't think he has heard any of the cans mentioned at all so it is impossible to know what his preferences for treble are at all.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #41 of 49

Of course, I'm just saying it as something the OP should consider as well. I don't think he has heard any of the cans mentioned at all so it is impossible to know what his preferences for treble are at all.

Yes, you are absolutely right.  It would be best to listen first before making any decisions.  Everyone hears differently and has a different taste in sound.

A good mate of mine who owns the LCD2 dislike the T90, while I find his cans a shade too dark and closed in
basshead.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #42 of 49
I came from grados 325is. .my first can. I did get used to the grado signature, but the highs killed me. Tried he500, hd 800, too dull to me. I own T90, similar Grado signature, but a much better can. More resolving bigger sound stage. So comfortable. Just bought T1...total euphoria, IMHO it's hard to beat. Sounds seem to float in space. Larger sound stage. Selling the T90, as I won't be looking for anything else for a log time.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #43 of 49
I can pike a T90 for 650 dollars, compared to the 870 dollars RS1i. Maybe the T90 is a better choice since I also game for long periods of time, and due to the better soundstage, but I'm still impressed by the reviews saying the RS1i is the rock and roll headphone, which is what I listen the most. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #44 of 49
  I can pike a T90 for 650 dollars, compared to the 870 dollars RS1i. Maybe the T90 is a better choice since I also game for long periods of time, and due to the better soundstage, but I'm still impressed by the reviews saying the RS1i is the rock and roll headphone, which is what I listen the most. 

Oh well if you game for long periods, the T90 should be a no brainer compared to the Rs1i. 

Way better comfort, sound stage, imaging ect....just not as good for rock n roll. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #45 of 49
I just received my SR80i's.. ow, they suck compared to my Sennheiser PC 360.. everything sounds soo bright and without bass, the soundstage is too small.. Btw, i'm amping them with a Xonar Essence STX. may be i got a defective pair? Or i'm used to the Sennheiser sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back