Beyerdynamic T1 or Grado Rs1i for rock/metal?
Dec 19, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 49
The SR80i will let you know if you like the Grado sound signature, they are great cans for rock.

The RS1i is the better headphone, and by a large margin, IMO.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 49
Grado makes like 4 different pads.....the 80's come with the s-cushion.  RS1i comes with L-cushion.

Each pad makes the sound change.

Some people have a problem with comfort with some pads...other people don't.

A washing of the pads with mild soap soften them up.

The RS1i headphone only weighs 9 oz.  it is super comfy imo.

These are like the s-cushion....but made by sennheiser

These are the L-cushion

These are the flat pads by TTVJ

These are the G-cushion

Each pads changes the sound alittle.

The flats pads add bass...the G cushion gives bigger soundstage and so on.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #20 of 49
  Grado makes like 4 different pads.....the 80's come with the s-cushion.  RS1i comes with L-cushion.

Each pad makes the sound change.

Some people have a problem with comfort with some pads...other people don't.

A washing of the pads with mild soap soften them up.

The RS1i headphone only weighs 9 oz.  it is super comfy imo.

These are like the s-cushion....but made by sennheiser

These are the L-cushion

These are the flat pads by TTVJ

These are the G-cushion

Each pads changes the sound alittle.

The flats pads add bass...the G cushion gives bigger soundstage and so on.

Thanks for the explanation. So can you confirm the stock pads are comfortable? By the way, I use glasses, and i'm kind picky about the comfort of headphones. Looking at the photos, the RS1i do indeed look comfortable, i'm just afraid the stock pads may be a pain to wear for long periods of time. I was reading some reviews saying that the SR60i/80i stock pads are way more comfortable than the RS1i/2i stock pads.

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #21 of 49
Each person seems to be different, when it comes to the comfort.

Many say the L cushion is uncomfortable....personally, that has never been the case for me.

I do have smaller ears...so even Grado's are like over the ear headphones for me 
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #22 of 49
I like the G Cush best.  Significant increase in soundstage size, which is the biggest weakness with Grados in general IMO.  The G Cush is also the most comfortable for me as it doesn't touch the ear but wraps itself around it (my ears are biggish).  Drawback is a slight loss in bass quantity which is not acceptable for some.

The pads do change the sound quite a bit.  I strongly suggest you try out the different pads to see what suits your taste.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 49
  Each person seems to be different, when it comes to the comfort.

Many say the L cushion is uncomfortable....personally, that has never been the case for me.

I do have smaller ears...so even Grado's are like over the ear headphones for me 
tongue.gif

I have the SR225i which come with what appear to be the L pads. After about 30 or 40 minutes I have to pull them out from my ears for a few seconds to let my ears get a rest from the contact, then can put them right back on for another 30 minutes.  OTOH, I can wear my Beyer DT-770s for literally hours with no discomfort and honestly tend to forget I'm wearing them. As in go to get up and suddenly realize I'm tethered in place.

I tend to agree that for rock, the Grados are great. Also for jazz and classical. For dance, techno, pop, etc the DT-770s are far superior, so I can only imagine how nice the T1s are.

As for OP, I'd recommend getting some of the lower end of each line to see what you like. Build wise the less expensive headphones from each company are pretty similar to their more expensive headphones and he may well be happy with SR80s or SR225is or DT660s etc for a lot less.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 49
  I have the SR225i which come with what appear to be the L pads. After about 30 or 40 minutes I have to pull them out from my ears for a few seconds to let my ears get a rest from the contact, then can put them right back on for another 30 minutes.

I found exactly the same when i got my first pair of Grados, wearing them for an hour was pure torture. I dont even notice it anymore, can wear them for hours on end without complaint.

I do advise you start with something like the 80i to see if you like the Grado sound/comfort before going all out.  I did i with the 80i, then ended up going to the MS1, then the 225i, then Ms-Pro, and i cant stop thinking about PS and GS 1000s now, i'm also curious about the RS1
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #25 of 49
Try the 80, but they have more comfortable pads than the 325is and up. Check out my avatar. I put socks (just the top elastic) over my 325 g pads. They drive me insane without them

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #26 of 49

I found exactly the same when i got my first pair of Grados, wearing them for an hour was pure torture. I dont even notice it anymore, can wear them for hours on end without complaint.

I do advise you start with something like the 80i to see if you like the Grado sound/comfort before going all out.  I did i with the 80i, then ended up going to the MS1, then the 225i, then Ms-Pro, and i cant stop thinking about PS and GS 1000s now, i'm also curious about the RS1
rolleyes.gif

How nice are the MS Pro's? I heard they are quite laid back compared to the RS1i's, and may not have the energy for rock music.

Next week I'll be getting some SR80i's to start off, I don't wanna rush out and get the very expensive RS1i (although I'm quite ansious to hear them). I wear glasses so maybe It will be a pain in the *** to wear them over a hour, but let's see. If i like the Grado sound/comfort, maybe in the next 3 months I will be able to purchase the RS1i, along with the G-Cush to experiment.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #27 of 49
I love them, but i've never heard the RS1 so i cant give a comparison.  The best way i can describe them is very polite and refined.  The 225i has more attack and would suit better if you like listening to rock music, or like listening to music nice and loud, bass and treble are more in your face so they just have more energy overall.  But if your more into subtle listening, acoustic music, or jazz the the tonality and resolution of the Ms-Pros is just gorgeous.

Going back a step i never really got on with the the 80i, too much high end which made them harsh sounding and unpleasant to me, the MS1's on the other hand were more neutral and dont have the same problem. Basically try them and see, you will have no problem selling them if they are not what you are looking for.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #28 of 49

How nice are the MS Pro's? I heard they are quite laid back compared to the RS1i's, and may not have the energy for rock music.

Next week I'll be getting some SR80i's to start off, I don't wanna rush out and get the very expensive RS1i (although I'm quite ansious to hear them). I wear glasses so maybe It will be a pain in the *** to wear them over a hour, but let's see. If i like the Grado sound/comfort, maybe in the next 3 months I will be able to purchase the RS1i, along with the G-Cush to experiment.

I too wear glasses and my SR225is are not a problem with glasses. Almost all the pressure for me is on the trailing and bottom edge of my ears but not really much on the top. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #30 of 49
The Beyerdynamic T1 has a large soundstage, positively massive compared to most Grado's. It isn't is pretty good for Video games due to the soundstaging size, width and depth as well as movie watching. Imaging is pretty good but not the best ever. I enjoy them for rock music, however the sound is laid back overall. It does well for all genres.

Beyerdynamic T1

Strengths
- Large soundstage
- Neutral + very good for most genres
- good imaging compared to most headphones
- highly detailed
- good moviewatching and pretty great for gaming

Weaknesses
- treble is tizzy and uncontrolled with certain recordings that excite the treble spike
- lacks a slight amount of refinement compared to some other top flight models
- Solid State sounds bright with them as they measure flat, might be preferable for a tube amp to roll down the highs a bit

Grado RS1i

Strengths
- Very fast sound while having natural decay
- unmatched tone for heavy guitar's, literally my favorite tone for more oomph and aggression
- very nice midbass bump for bass guitar and drums

weaknesses
- can be very aggressive in the mids for some (not me)
- small soundstage and average imaging
- not enough soundstaging + imaging quality for games, not the greatest for movies.

Depends on what you ultimately want. The Beyer T1 is very expensive for the average joe, but is one of the ultimate all rounders. There are better headphones out there though, but they are better in some genres and not others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back