Beyerdynamic T1 or Grado Rs1i for rock/metal?
Dec 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Charlie Sheen

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. So, i'm shopping for a new set of headphones and I came across the Grado RS1i and the Beyerdynamic T1. I heard good things about the Grado's being good for rock, especially the RS1i. However, i'm afraid this headphone will get tired on my ears after 3 hours due to its coloration and not being full size. I'm sure the T1 will be more comfortable, but will be as fun as the Grado one? I mostly listen to bands like Metallica, Led Zeppelin, The Who, these kinds of things. I also game a lot, so maybe the neutral Beyer T1 will be the best for long use? I would use both with a ASUS Essence STX. But if I get a T1, maybe a high end headphone amp will drive him better. Help me decide, thanks!

Dec 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 49
Idk anything about the Essence STX, but I eventually moved from a Little Dot 1+/RS1i to a V200/T1 setup.

If you haven't heard either it's difficult to decide, but IME the beyers are toned down from the very aggressive grados.  A bit more pronounced bass and a bit less aggressive treble.  Which along with the better comfort makes them pretty perfect for me as just a single pair of "allround" headphones.  Still great for rock, but I can listen to everything on them without feeling like anything is missing now.

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 49
  Hey guys. So, i'm shopping for a new set of headphones and I came across the Grado RS1i and the Beyerdynamic T1. I heard good things about the Grado's being good for rock, especially the RS1i. However, i'm afraid this headphone will get tired on my ears after 3 hours due to its coloration and not being full size. I'm sure the T1 will be more comfortable, but will be as fun as the Grado one? I mostly listen to bands like Metallica, Led Zeppelin, The Who, these kinds of things. I also game a lot, so maybe the neutral Beyer T1 will be the best for long use? I would use both with a ASUS Essence STX. But if I get a T1, maybe a high end headphone amp will drive him better. Help me decide, thanks!

I have ran the T1 off the STX with upgraded op-amps and the sound is not pretty. You will want a dedicated amp for sure. Gaming and movies are awesome on the T1 too.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 49
I've recently acquired a Grado RS1i after nearly a year of primarily listening to the dark Audeze LCD2.

I don't find them to be fatiguing at all even though I have relatively treble sensitive ears. However, I pair my RS1i with the larger G-Cush pads, it takes a tiny bit of energy away from the headphone and adds a little bit of sound stage as well as smoothing out the tone. With the G-Cush I find them to be pretty excellent with almost any genre. It also makes them considerably more comfortable. I just switch back to the bowl pads when in the mood for a little more energy.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 49
T1 is my choice over the rs1. I like grados, but theyre more like a niche to me. The t1 will be a better all-arounder for multiple genres, movies, games...and more comfortable.

Dec 16, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 49
Not sure if buying a flagship headphone, and then running it off a Xonar STX is the greatest of Ideas. 

RS1i will be better suited for the STX than the T1's, which deserve a much better source and amp. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 49
The RS1's sound fantastic with the music that you like.

I like the same music, and the RS1 is very fun set of cans.

I have run my RS1 of my STX, no problem at all.

I have not heard the T1 to comment.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 49
+1 on the T90.

Excellent for rock - very dynamic, tons of energy and pace.  Haven't compared it with the T1, but its clearly better than my other headphone, the Grado 325i.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #10 of 49
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the RS1i would not be the better choice for long listening. I'm still interested in them. A question, the Alessando MS Pro would be a more "calm" RS1I, like, more neutral presentation? They may be a good balance between the Beyer and Grado sound, or i'm wrong?

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 49
The RS1i is very comfortable....it only weighs 9 oz.

It is way better comfort than the 325

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #13 of 49
I'm glad I never tried a 325i then...  The RS1i is not terribly uncomfortable, but it is not (imo) pleasant to wear for very long.  If you don't like what the G-cush does to the sound, then you should probably try some kind of grado to get a feel for the comfort before you spend the money on a RS1i as your sole headphone.

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 49
  Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the RS1i would not be the better choice for long listening. I'm still interested in them. A question, the Alessando MS Pro would be a more "calm" RS1I, like, more neutral presentation? They may be a good balance between the Beyer and Grado sound, or i'm wrong?

I had MS-Pros.....they are nothing like beyer sound......they are still very forward in presentation, with smaller sound stage.....and I found them uncomfortable. 

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 49
Souns like I'm going to get the RS1i's. I did my research, and indeed it has a very special sound with rock, which is what I most listen to. The problem is, I live in Brazil, so it will be very expensive, like 750 dollars, so maybe it's best to try a lower end Grado like the SR80i to see if i find Grado Headphones comfortable. I'm used to the Sennheiser's (I have a PC 360 G4ME), a full size headphone, unlike the "on ear" type of headphones. How huge is the gap between the SR80i and the RS1i's? I'm pretty sure I will get the RS1i, but maybe it's just too stupid to buy a 750 dollar headphone that i'm not used to the fit, sound signature..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back