Beyerdynamic T1 - Completely Unimpressed
Jul 28, 2016 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

SVghost

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

This is a hard one for me to write about. Recently I picked up a Chord Mojo in anticipation for some Beyerdynamic T1 (gen2) I got used for a good price on ebay. I have owned a pair of HD650s that I love dearly and the Chord Mojo took everything I was less than impressed with about the HD650 and removed it. The Chord Mojo is simply stunning. When I received my T1s yesterday, with great excitement I plugged them in and started listening. I was completely unimpressed. They appear to lack detail in every capacity, have less deep bass (tested this with some tones), rolled off flat boring highs, lack detail and sensitivity, and have some not to pleasant unmatched drivers in the high range (above 6khz there is imbalance at various frequencys). I tested the HD650 in the same way and heard far more clarity, less enjoyable soundstage, but in every other capacity the HD650 beat out the T1. The unmatched tones were much MUCH less so. I also noticed a slight right bias on the center image, which i discovered how picky the T1 is with cup placement on your head. I have to have them akwardly pushed back (so my ear is closer to the driver) on the left than on the right. While the sound and clarity changes significantly when moving them around, I could never come close to the HD650 in clarity and upper response.

Has anyone else had this experience? I purchased the T1 thinking this was going to be end game for me for the next 5 years, as the HD650 has been for me the past 5.

Thoughts? Ideas? Opinion? There's no chance in these being fake from what I can read and observe, but it was a thought because of how underwhelmed I am. On day 2 now, I experience the same thing. 

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 34
Oh man, more time spent and I wonder if all of this isnt just the huge difference in sound signatures. The HD is bright and forward, it is a bit more exciting. But the T1 is more warm, lush, carrying the same details or more in a better soundstage with more pinpoint instrument location. Hmmm, need to just spend some quality time with both and see.

Jul 29, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 34
The only open dynamic driver headphones that are a true upgrade from the HD650 are the HD800/S and potentially the new Focals, if half the hype surrounding them is true. The T1 is an inferior headphone to the HD650 and the v2 is even worse then the v1, with its thinner sound and metallic treble.

Jul 29, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 34
not a fan of the T1v1 or v2. not at all. T90 is arguably less hyped up (but still bright)

650s are arguably technically superior performance wise, but the T1s are physically more comfy.

this review confirms the OP's (and my) impression:

http://sonarworks.com/2016/04/beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-gen-headphone-test/

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #6 of 34
Thank you everyone for posting! 

I have went with selling my desktop monitors in favor of the HD800S. I feel a bit cheated by the T1, at such a price point you would expect them to greatly outperform the now old HD650. Your posts helped me to confirm what many hours of back and forth A/B testing was doing. I so so badly wanted to like the T1, right up till today when I just had to accept what I was hearing across the board. They do not sound clearer or better no matter the genera, from Afro Cuban to EDM to Classical. The only point that was superior was due to the angled drivers, but the HD700 which can be had for 500$ USD, did it better. 

Id love to hear some of these super priced cans one day, the focal's look interesting and come from a company that has some serious green to spend on R&D and development. But once again I have my doubts, the shape of the headphone, compared to the clearly deliberate unusual shape of the HD800 has me thinking style was preferred to superior acoustics. The Audeze craze I become skeptical when I hear reports of great differentiation in sound from one same model can to the next, that's not a good sign. In my opinion, I don't think there is anything to argue about with cans and setups that are "fun" or "more musical less accurate". The most musical IMO is that which is the most technically neutral and high performance ,true to what the mastering and artist intended. Do you project your favorite movie onto a grey or other colored screen than white because you like it? If so...ok...but you no longer watching what was intended. 

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #7 of 34
Hi I would just like to add my 2 cents,

Mojo:

1. bullet.gif
    TECHNICAL SPECS:
  2. bullet.gif
    Output Power @ 1kHz
  3. bullet.gif
    600 ohms 35mW
  4. bullet.gif
    8 ohms 720mW
  5. bullet.gif
    Output Impedance: 0.075 ohms
  6. bullet.gif
    Dynamic Range: 125dB
  7. bullet.gif
    THD @ 3v - 0.00017%

Now 35mW at 600 Ohm (T1) is not a lot...

As others suggested you really need a dedicated desktop amp to got with high end headphones like that, tube or solid state providing it outputs enough power.

I have listened to both versions of the T1 and they work very well out of OTL Tube headphone amps including the Feliks Audio Espressivo and Elise.
They also work well out of the Matrix HPA-2C.

Also another point to add is that the Mojo is classed as quite a warm DAC, which would not compliment the T1 2nd Generation as they have a slightly warm sound signature. This would explain what you are hearing.

You most likely didn't read up much on the synergy of the 2, and thus have been underwhelmed, but if you get the chance, listen to the T1 out of a good amp and you may hear them differently.

Synergy is very important between headphones and amps/DACs.

Beyerdynamic A2 amp (built for the T1) outputs 100 mW / 600 Ω, go figure. The Mojo is great for a portable device but is not made to drive 600 ohm headphones like the T1.

Jul 29, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 34
not a fan of the T1v1 or v2. not at all. T90 is arguably less hyped up (but still bright)

650s are arguably technically superior performance wise, but the T1s are physically more comfy.

this review confirms the OP's (and my) impression:

http://sonarworks.com/2016/04/beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-gen-headphone-test/
Never read dumber text... I had HD650 and T1 side by side and T1 destroyed HD650 in every possible category except lower mids. Mojo amp is nothing good and i don't think it do any juctice for either HD650 and especially T1. Bass of T1 is far deeper and clean and more textured, highs are much more resolving, clean. Upper mids are don't lack extension or sparkle as HD650, soundstage, imaging, speed, separation, transparency is a few levels above. If your amp or dac don't pair well with T1 you can't say that HD650 is technically superior...

Jul 29, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 34
The Chord Mojo won't cut it for a high impedance headphone like the T1. Not even remotely close.

I have the Woo Audio WA2 amp & it drives the headphones perfectly! When I compare it to my HD800, the T1 is better in every way except resolution & soundstage width.

I suggest a OTL amp (Output Transformer-Less). Meaning tubes power the sound & not a transformer & tubes have naturally high impedance & match perfectly with the T1.

With the Mojo, you are basically hearing 1 fifth of what's possible with the headphone.

Nov 23, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 34
Running my T1 Gen 2 with fostex Hp a4 paired with a beyerdynamic A20 amplifier and sounds is amazing and bass is very good and tight.  My guess is your Mojo does not have the (mojo) (power) to lift the T1s properly.   When i use my Fostex HP a4 by itself the my HD 650s sound better than my T1s because the 650s are easier to drive, but with the A20 Amp is a different story.  

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 34
I have two cheap chinese amps that both sound great with lower impedence headphones. They will both do about 130mw into 600 ohms, but only one sounds great on the T1. The other sounds muffled and dull. Don't know why, but obviously the T1 is fairly amp dependent.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 34
Came across this thread by accident, and I'll add my 2 cents. 

I can see why one would prefer one over the other. I tend to lean towards headphones with a brighter presentation and so I prefer the T1's.

I had the HD650 at some point, and I thought they were great too. The HD650 had a more immediately impressive bass response that is more present throughout.

Even with that, I'd have to say the T1's are technically better. I found the separation and layering of instruments to be a lot more precise with a more "out-of-your-head" listening experience.

Vocals are more breathy and there's a more immediate sense of detail and space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back