Beyerdynamic T1 cable connection mod
Aug 25, 2010 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

majkel

Headphoneus Supremus
The modification is easy, invisible and flawlessly reversible. The first step is to disconnect the cable shields inside of the jack plug. This way you decrease the capacitance between the hot wires and the ground. Another step is to separate galvanically one shield from another so that they don't create short circuit. This step is even more significant as you decrease capacitive crosstalk between channels. Instead of shorted screens you have just a minute capacitance remaining between them. So, when you cut or de-solder them off the jack plug, you have to isolate the rest of the copper with insulation tape so it doesn't short with any other pin and the screens don't short together. The white wires remain connected, of course. You have to be careful while distinguishing the copper strands of the shield from the white wire strands. The results are:
- wider soundstage with great feeling of immersion in the music
- I finally enjoy Barocco music like Branderburgian Concertos
- I enjoy classical more
- better microdetail retrieval, slight roundedness in the sounds that some people reported, disappeared
- the Stax Demo CD sounded uncovincing before the mod, and it's one of the best real life illusion after the mod
I made a circuit so that I could short the screens together back and then re-connect them to the ground pin of the jack plug. In such a quick comparison you realize that with the stock connection there is something wrong. Actually, I repeated this experiment because I had done it two years ago prior to making my first DIY re-cable of the Creative Aurvana Live! Then I checked all the combinations of connecting the screens - grounded, floating, shorted, and then knew which was sonically and electrically the best. Even when some handbooks say how to connect the screen, it concerns static signal measurements in general. Here we have music and we care more about transients than steady states, so noise cancellation is less important than undistorted transients and impulses.
The mod is easily reversible by re-soldering the disconnected screen wires. When you like narrow and distant soundstage with small size imaging - don't do it. Otherwise, enjoy! :wink: Give yourself at least an hour to discover the new sound after the mod. For me there is no coming back.

Below are some instructions for those who don't know the Neutrik NP3X-B plug mechanics.

1. Grab the metal jack enclosure tight and twist off the plastic cable shield. The metal enclosure will fall off towards the jack tip.
2. Pull away the plastic shield towards the headphones.
3. Remove the blue strain relief  by unbending it and pulling aside.
4. Look at the soldering of the ground pin. There are two white wires and two shields connected. Un-split the shield wires and disconnect them (cut off, de-solder)
5. Un-split and disconnect left cable screen from the right one.
6. Bend both shielding wires backwards and wrap around with a tape. To make it easier, cut the outer sheath along the middle on a 1/4" distance.
7. Place back the strain relief so that all three wings surround the cable and the bottom border fits the jack tip shaping.
8. Pull back the plastic shield.
9. Put the metal enclosure onto the jack, keep the plastic shield tight and twist on the metal enclosure until the whole thread is hidden. Done.

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 35
So shich is the shield? The white wire, or the loose copper? Most likely the loose copper is the shield.

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 35
OK the shield was the loose copper. I should have known that "hangs head in shame".....

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 35
You need to disconnect the bare copper surrounding the wire pairs.
smile.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 35
I did the mod and found the changes to not be so big, but everything you described happened. I think it's worth it.

Aug 28, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 35
majkel, could you possibly post step by step pictures to go with your instructions, as it'd be very helpful. thanks.

Quote:

Below are some instructions for those who don't know the Neutrik NP3X-B plug mechanics.

1. Grab the metal jack enclosure tight and twist off the plastic cable shield. The metal enclosure will fall off towards the jack tip.
2. Pull away the plastic shield towards the headphones.
3. Remove the blue strain relief  by unbending it and pulling aside.
4. Look at the soldering of the ground pin. There are two white wires and two shields connected. Un-split the shield wires and disconnect them (cut off, de-solder)
5. Un-split and disconnect left cable screen from the right one.
6. Bend both shielding wires backwards and wrap around with a tape. To make it easier, cut the outer sheath along the middle on a 1/4" distance.
7. Place back the strain relief so that all three wings surround the cable and the bottom border fits the jack tip shaping.
8. Pull back the plastic shield.
9. Put the metal enclosure onto the jack, keep the plastic shield tight and twist on the metal enclosure until the whole thread is hidden. Done.

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 35
Before I manage to take some pictures I'll try to clarify the cable construction.
Here is a single shielded cable with one pair of conductors. You have two such geometries in the T1's cable.
Stock connection is made that one wire from the pair is connected to left or right channel pin of the jack and the positive pin of the corresponding transducer. Another wire from the same pair is connected to the negative pin of the same transducer on one side and to the ground pin of the jack plug on another side. So, both "returning" wires meet at the same jack pin. Besides the return wires, there are both shields (the outer copper layer) connected to the ground pin of the jack. So this means they are shorted one to another. We don't want this so the only way to achieve the isolation between them is to disconnect them from the ground pin and one from another. How to accomplish this - I have posted above.
The shields aren't connected anywhere at the transducer side which I verified with the multimeter.

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #8 of 35
When you take apart the plug you will see a Red, Green, and copper wire (ground). Snip all the wires off the connector and strip the black rubber jacket back about 1/4". each channel has the mash copper shield, hot wire (Green or Red) and the cold wire (looked like copper covered in clear PE). Just separate the copper mesh from the PE wire and tape the mesh down. You will then solder the wire back to the correct pads and re-assemble the jack.

I will take a picture for you guys in a bit.

EDIT: Here's pictures of the T1 wires, you can see I have the shield wire taped down.

Quote:
majkel, could you possibly post step by step pictures to go with your instructions, as it'd be very helpful. thanks.

Aug 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 35
No problem man, and the pictures are up.
So guy's here's the color coding of the wires. Each of the two cables will have three wires.

LEFT:
Green Wire - Positive Polarity (+)
Copper Mesh - Shield (Neutral)
Clear Wire - Negative Polarity (-)
RIGHT:
Red Wire - Positive Polarity (+)
Copper Mesh - Shield (Neutral)
Clear Wire - Negative Polarity (-)

_________________________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________________________

For 4-Pin balanced termination you'll need to follow the following wire layout. A 4-Pin XLR will have pins numbered from 1-4. Makes sure you have the on the right solder terminals otherwise it won't work.

Pin 1 - Left Positive Polarity (Green Wire)
Pin 2 - Left Negative Polarity (Clear Wire)
Pin 3 - Right Positive Polarity (Red Wire)
Pin 4 - Right Negative Polarity (Clear Wire)

For 3-Pin balanced termination you will need two 3-pin xlr's. The wiring will be as follows.

LEFT:
Pin 1 - Copper Mesh (Shield)
Pin 2 - Left Positive Polarity (Green Wire)
Pin 3 - Left Negative Polarity (Clear Wire)

RIGHT:
Pin 1 - Copper Mesh (Shield)
Pin 2 - Right Positive Polarity (Red Wire)
Pin 3 - Right Negative Polarity (Clear Wire)

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 35
I decided to do this simple mod so here are my pics:

Before any change:

De-soldering the shield wires:

Taped off

So far I've listened to several reference tracks. My T1 has approx. 400 hours and my amp is a Woo Audio 3. I wish I had time to set up a test circuit as majkel did to clearly hear the differences...but, I believe I'm hearing an improved soundstage and overall less congested sound. I think it is an improvement however small. This mod takes 10 minutes and is reversible but I have no plans to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back