Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Jan 14, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #918 of 1,833
I have the amiron home and not the t1.3 but according to kman here who has used both...t1's base is bigger and better...most powerful among the recent beyerdynamics

I would be interested to hear comparisons. I had the T1.1 and T1.2, but preferred the Amiron Home to both of them.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #919 of 1,833
I would be interested to hear comparisons. I had the T1.1 and T1.2, but preferred the Amiron Home to both of them.
Lol...every person's choice is so unique bruh...I have actually purchased Amiron Home first ...fell in love with it instantly when I heard it the first time...ditched my hd 650 for that...then I got my hands on T1 1st generation...strange enough I liked it even more...Slightly...the midrange and vocals on t1.1(mainly vocals) sound amazing to me...I love both of them...I really needed a 32ohm beyer for gaming and one for my bedtime listening because I don't want to sit in my desk 24/7 (because my dac amp setup sits on my desktop table) ...this new t1 actually interests me a lot...I wanna get one soon

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #920 of 1,833
After a few hours of testing the T1.3, here are some quick impressions:

Quite darker and bassier than the Astell&Kern T1P that is already darker and bassier than T1.1 and T1.2.
If you want something more in line with the traditional Beyer sound but with more bass and a touch less bright I would recommend the AKT1P that also are 32ohm.

The T1.3 is the best for soundstage width and depth, no contest. Despite having a dark signature the details and imaging are remarkable. Voices sound a bit recessed, I personnaly prefer this kind of overall presentation rather than being too much in your face. They are more forgiving on bad recordings compared to T1.1, T1.2, AKT1P, T90.

Headband clamp force is much heavier than traditional T1.1/T1.2/AKT1P. I reshaped the top of the headband to fit better. On large heads the pressure around the ears is quite notable.

As other mentioned, the bass is very deep and thick. Despite a 32ohm load, these headphones need a high quality and powerful amp to sound at their best and have a well-controlled bass. So far I tried on a Violectric V200 and V100. The V100 is more neutral and more suitable for it. I used my most neutral combination of Gustard A18 DAC, Violectric V100 and Nordost Valhalla 1 XLR cable. Still pretty dark signature, bass is very deep but well controlled. I would highly recommend SPL headphone amps due to their neutrality. The new Violectric V590/V550 should also be a good pairing.

So far I will not play with pads and the inner foam, I'll let them run for a few weeks.

Jan 14, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #921 of 1,833

Quite darker and bassier than the Astell&Kern T1P that is already darker and bassier than T1.1 and T1.2.
If you want something more in line with the traditional Beyer sound but with more bass and a touch less bright I would recommend the AKT1P that also are 32ohm.

The T1.3 is the best for soundstage width and depth, no contest. Despite having a dark signature the details and imaging are remarkable. Voices sound a bit recessed, I personnaly prefer this kind of overall presentation rather than being too much in your face. They are more forgiving on bad recordings compared to T1.1, T1.2, AKT1P, T90.

Headband clamp force is much heavier than traditional T1.1/T1.2/AKT1P. I reshaped the top of the headband to fit better. On large heads the pressure around the ears is quite notable.

As other mentioned, the bass is very deep and thick. Despite a 32ohm load, these headphones need a high quality and powerful amp to sound at their best and have a well-controlled bass. So far I tried on a Violectric V200 and V100. The V100 is more neutral and more suitable for it. I used my most neutral combination of Gustard A18 DAC, Violectric V100 and Nordost Valhalla 1 XLR cable. Still pretty dark signature, bass is very deep but well controlled. I would highly recommend SPL headphone amps due to their neutrality. The new Violectric V590/V550 should also be a good pairing.

So far I will not play with pads and the inner foam, I'll let them run for a few weeks.

These are quite different than the past ones, I can hear the family resemblance though. Very meaty and powerful bass on them but it’s high quality bass. Clamp was the first thing I noticed. It’s only reduced slightly, it’s not a light clamp like on my T1.2. Honestly the gen 3 is technically the best of the T1’s despite its lower impedance, it’s more resolving, dynamic, more detailed has better soundstage and imaging, etc. The drivers definitely are different in them. I ended up leaving mine as is. Same with my T1.2. Been meaning to do the review but just haven’t gotten to it yet.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #922 of 1,833

Thank u so much for ur sharing your thoughts...are the vocals of this new t1 slightly recessed than T1.1 ?? Soundstaging also better than T1.1 ?? Huge Improvement?? Would be happy with more direct a/b comparison with T1.1.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #923 of 1,833
Thank u so much for ur sharing your thoughts...are the vocals of this new t1 slightly recessed than T1.1 ?? Soundstaging also better than T1.1 ?? Huge Improvement?? Would be happy with more direct a/b comparison with T1.1.
Hi Sam, I'll do some AB testing versus T1.1 (my T1.1 is serial 13K) and post impressions shortly.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #925 of 1,833
I finally had some time to directly compare the T1.1 (13K serial number) and the latest T1.3 which has about 70 hours of play time. I'll check later on if I can detect further improvements as they get more play time.

I used my "B" setup that is more neutral:
Violectric V100 headphone amp
Gustard A18 DAC
Nordost Valhalla 1 XLR interconnect
Nordost Blue Heaven power cords
Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable

T1.3 are top notch build quality headphones.

The T1.3 has much more clamp force than the T1.1 and T1.2. The pads adapt around the ears and apply a bit less pressure with time. That pressure could be a dealbreaker on large heads (I would say for people wearing above 7 1/2 cap size)

The T1.3 has a detachable braided cable and is now a 32ohm load. Despite this easier load, it needs a powerful and quality amp to properly control the new deep bass signature.

I tried some back and forth switch between the T1.1 and the T1.3 (with stock pads and foam inserts):

My favorites headphones were, as of now, the T1.1 and T90. So I have a preference for brighter headphones.

When putting the T1.3 on it's striking how darker and bassier the sound is but also striking is how much detail they are able to deliver. More dynamic. The soundstage is wider on the T1.3 than the T1.1. The T1.3 has a 180degres soundstage, it also projects a higher and deeper image with a more precise instruments positioning.

Vocals are more recessed and precise on the T1.3 compared to T1.1. The T1.3 is much more pinpoint and better when it comes to projection. Miles Davis "So What" is a good song for comparing both headphones. For vocals testing I mainly used Kathleen Battle "Grace" album.

Bass is very deep and hefty. It's well controlled and quick with the Violectric amp.

The most striking thing with the T1.3 is the 3D imaging and realism, things like a crowd clapping sounds so real. Trumpet, saxophone and strings, have more meat, are more realistic and alive. Piano is also more precise.

When switching from T1.1 to T1.3 it's stricking on how darker and bassier the sound is. We rapidly get used to this signature though. The T1.3 is also more forgiving on bad recordings.
It's actually much more stricking going from T1.3 back to T1.1. The T1.1 then sounds dry, harsh and lifeless

In the end I believe I will only keep my T1.3 and Astell&Kern T1P, and will sell T1.1 and T90. The AKT1P is versatile enough to be a keeper. It has the original T1 signature with more bass and a touch less bright. Still, the T1.3 is much better than the AKT1P. I will eventually play with pads and inner foams of the T1.3 but I will wait several more hours. If changing pads and inner foams removals negatively affects the soundstage width and depth I will put them back in their stock form. For my personal taste I wish the T1.3 would a bit brighter and less bassier, I will see when playing with pads and the foam inserts. I was already planning to eventually get the new Violectric V550 amp, that should provide me a bit of a brighter sound with the T1.3 in their stock form.

The T1.3 is definetly worth trying !

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #926 of 1,833
When putting the T1.3 on it's striking how darker and bassier the sound is but also striking is how much detail they are able to deliver. More dynamic. The soundstage is wider on the T1.3 than the T1.1. The T1.3 has a 180degres soundstage, it also projects a higher and deeper image with a more precise instruments positioning.

The most striking thing with the T1.3 is the 3D imaging and realism, things like a crowd clapping sounds so real. Trumpet, saxophone and strings, have more meat, are more realistic and alive. Piano is also more precise.

When switching from T1.1 to T1.3 it's stricking on how darker and bassier the sound is. We rapidly get used to this signature though. The T1.3 is also more forgiving on bad recordings.

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I think this is one of the most precise descriptions of my own experience with T1.3. To me it was so dark, that for a minute or two, I thought it had to be a faulty unit. Only after some time to adjust I started to really notice things like crowd clapping and it sounds so much more real in T1.3 than many other headphones. I am still not sure that I want to go down that darker sounding road. It would mean that I will have to change my IEM's so I do not have to adjust between bright and dark sounds when changing between the two.

Jan 17, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #927 of 1,833
I finally had some time to directly compare the T1.1 (13K serial number) and the latest T1.3 which has about 70 hours of play time. I'll check later on if I can detect further improvements as they get more play time.

I used my "B" setup that is more neutral:
Violectric V100 headphone amp
Gustard A18 DAC
Nordost Valhalla 1 XLR interconnect
Nordost Blue Heaven power cords
Nordost Blue Heaven USB cable

T1.3 are top notch build quality headphones.

The T1.3 has much more clamp force than the T1.1 and T1.2. The pads adapt around the ears and apply a bit less pressure with time. That pressure could be a dealbreaker on large heads (I would say for people wearing above 7 1/2 cap size)

The T1.3 has a detachable braided cable and is now a 32ohm load. Despite this easier load, it needs a powerful and quality amp to properly control the new deep bass signature.

I tried some back and forth switch between the T1.1 and the T1.3 (with stock pads and foam inserts):

My favorites headphones were, as of now, the T1.1 and T90. So I have a preference for brighter headphones.

Vocals are more recessed and precise on the T1.3 compared to T1.1. The T1.3 is much more pinpoint and better when it comes to projection. Miles Davis "So What" is a good song for comparing both headphones. For vocals testing I mainly used Kathleen Battle "Grace" album.

Bass is very deep and hefty. It's well controlled and quick with the Violectric amp.

It's actually much more stricking going from T1.3 back to T1.1. The T1.1 then sounds dry, harsh and lifeless

In the end I believe I will only keep my T1.3 and Astell&Kern T1P, and will sell T1.1 and T90. The AKT1P is versatile enough to be a keeper. It has the original T1 signature with more bass and a touch less bright. Still, the T1.3 is much better than the AKT1P. I will eventually play with pads and inner foams of the T1.3 but I will wait several more hours. If changing pads and inner foams removals negatively affects the soundstage width and depth I will put them back in their stock form. For my personal taste I wish the T1.3 would a bit brighter and less bassier, I will see when playing with pads and the foam inserts. I was already planning to eventually get the new Violectric V550 amp, that should provide me a bit of a brighter sound with the T1.3 in their stock form.

The T1.3 is definetly worth trying !
Wow...nice write up bro exactly what I was looking for...the change from t1.1 to t1.2 was subtle with only the removable cables and slightly more bass but with the t1.3 there actually a lot more...the entire driver is new and very capable it seems...I needed a low impedance headphone for gaming and portable purposes which the t1.3 may not be as it still requires proper amplification, now its very clear why some people didn't like them, considering its low impedance they didn't amp it properly which was required...I normally prefer headphones with a bit more vocal presence...not a fan of v shaped sound signature...but since I have some midcentric gear already I may get these...so these are more intimate sounding than t1.1 but also wider with more expansive soundstage or is it the precise imaging that makes it feel that way ??
I run T1.1 with Aune x7s (warm sounding amp) solid state and Dark voice 336se ( warm rca tubes both)...so the highs are nice with lush mids and slightly more bass...I would need a brighter setup for the T1.3s.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #929 of 1,833
Wow...nice write up bro exactly what I was looking for...the change from t1.1 to t1.2 was subtle with only the removable cables and slightly more bass but with the t1.3 there actually a lot more...the entire driver is new and very capable it seems...I needed a low impedance headphone for gaming and portable purposes which the t1.3 may not be as it still requires proper amplification, now its very clear why some people didn't like them, considering its low impedance they didn't amp it properly which was required...I normally prefer headphones with a bit more vocal presence...not a fan of v shaped sound signature...but since I have some midcentric gear already I may get these...so these are more intimate sounding than t1.1 but also wider with more expansive soundstage or is it the precise imaging that makes it feel that way ??
I run T1.1 with Aune x7s (warm sounding amp) solid state and Dark voice 336se ( warm rca tubes both)...so the highs are nice with lush mids and slightly more bass...I would need a brighter setup for the T1.3s.

With a warm setup I would think the AKT1P be a better fit for anyone that would want a 32ohm T1.1./1.2 style sound but less edgy along with added bass. I have not tested foam removals yet on the T1.3 but I saw a few replies that it would make them sound much brighter. I will eventually comment about foam inserts removal sound along with other pads testing (I have handy T1.1, T1.2, Dekoni Elite Velour and Dekoni Elite Fenestrated pads). Things I would not want to lose with pads swaps and inserts removal are the 3D imaging and overall realism, personally I would live with the dark signature to retain those sound elements now that I have tasted it :) The soundstage is really more expansive than with T1.1, more width, as for the deeper soundstage perception looks like it comes for the response dip that makes bright elements darker which also brings a better focus and a more precise instruments and voices spatial representation. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #930 of 1,833
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I think this is one of the most precise descriptions of my own experience with T1.3. To me it was so dark, that for a minute or two, I thought it had to be a faulty unit. Only after some time to adjust I started to really notice things like crowd clapping and it sounds so much more real in T1.3 than many other headphones. I am still not sure that I want to go down that darker sounding road. It would mean that I will have to change my IEM's so I do not have to adjust between bright and dark sounds when changing between the two.

I totally hear you and understand. That is why I will look to sell my T1.1 and T90. I will keep my AKT1P which is a bit more similar to the T1.3. This way I will attenuate the "shock" when switching headphones. I have to admit though that the brain adapts rather quickly, I directly switched from T1.3 to T1.1 and after 10 minutes it started to be enjoyable once again but it was lacking the 3D imaging and textures of the T1.3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back