Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
May 25, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,696 of 1,855
Is anyone using the new Meze Copper PCUHD balanced cable with these? I know that the Meze silver upgrade cable will work with the T1, but the new Copper cable has larger diameter plugs on the headphone end, so I'm not sure if they will fit in the T1 sockets.
Interested as well, considered 4.4mm PCUHD Meze cable.

May 25, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #1,697 of 1,855
I'm looking for a 4pin XLR balanced cable for my T1.3. What are some readily available options in the US that have narrow connectors that would fit?

I'd like to avoid braided jackets if possible.

BTW, 1990 analytical pads on the T1.3 are more comfortable than the stock, and really open up the mids & treble :)

May 25, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #1,698 of 1,855
I'm looking for a 4pin XLR balanced cable for my T1.3. What are some readily available options in the US that have narrow connectors that would fit?

I'd like to avoid braided jackets if possible.
Simplest option would of course be the XL4 cable from Beyerdynamic themselves… don’t know about availability in US though and it uses braided sheeting. Yet reasonably priced and of high quality.

Jun 3, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #1,699 of 1,855
Screenshot_20230603_175508_Gallery.jpg

Picked up a shorter balanced cable from Open Heart. Love it.
I will never understand why they send out headphones with bs cables.
Where can I pick up a set of the 1990 analytical pads? I asked this before and was told 'just go to Amazon' but I can't find 'dt1990 ANALYTICAL pads on there.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #1,700 of 1,855

Picked up a shorter balanced cable from Open Heart. Love it.
I will never understand why they send out headphones with bs cables.
Where can I pick up a set of the 1990 analytical pads? I asked this before and was told 'just go to Amazon' but I can't find 'dt1990 ANALYTICAL pads on there.

This is the place that does warranty repairs of Beyers in the US, so they have parts in stock for sale.

https://consolidated-sound-services.myshopify.com/collections/dt1990

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #1,701 of 1,855
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #1,702 of 1,855
Thanks.
..... so.... can we all agree that $44 plus shipping is absurd?
For a pair of pads? They cost a tiny fraction of that to make, why are you trying to make a 400% profit on me, when I just want my headphones to sound a teen tiny bit different?!
But thanks for the link.
Yeah, they are more expensive than say the DT 770/990 pads are $34, but at least they are better made than those pads. The HD 600/650 pads are $55 (and they don't last as long as the Beyer pads). Sadly within the realm of pad replacements and on the cheaper side considering some pad prices from other manufacturers. But honestly pads in general are quite pricey on headphones. :/

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #1,703 of 1,855
I just...i mean..... for a TOTL headphone you can't include a balanced cable and 2 sets of pads?
Really?
Here's what I do if I'm the product manager for this set of headphones: I think for 10 minutes about how people will use the headphone and then give them the appropriate gear.
2 cables, 2 different pads, a protective case. It's not hard....
Why does this headphone have a crazy long 3.5 cable?? Makes no sense. Why does it come with a heavy filter in front of the driver and dense pads? Also nonsense. Why do they know the 1990 is tunable with various pads, but somehow the TOTL T 1.3 isn't?

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #1,704 of 1,855
Yeah, they are more expensive than say the DT 770/990 pads are $34, but at least they are better made than those pads. The HD 600/650 pads are $55 (and they don't last as long as the Beyer pads). Sadly within the realm of pad replacements and on the cheaper side considering some pad prices from other manufacturers. But honestly pads in general are quite pricey on headphones. :/
I have the hd 58x, which I feel is just another flavor of the hd 600/650/6xx, and those pads suck. They deform/degrade really easily.
I modded headphones for about 10 years, I know all about pads. I have zero complaints with the pads that came with my T1.3. BUT I did want a little more treble and air out of them, which I think would have been helped with different pads.
I have a pair of dt880 premium... are the pads they come with similar to the Analytical pads that come with the 1990?

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #1,705 of 1,855
The mids and treble do come more forward with break-in with my experience and the bass eases some. My experience with the T1.3 and the T1.2 (owned two) as well is they can be very warm and the mids/treble a bit muted before they break-in/adjust to them; at least to my ears. I’m not sure if it’s the pads breaking in and how it relates to the driver angle or what but they changed dramatically with use to my ears. Didn’t experience changes on the Amiron Home or DT 1990 to anywhere near the same degree, so assuming it’s related to the angled driver. I can swap between them and the Hd 6xx series without any issue personally. But yes they have a lot of bass.

I’m sorry to hear they aggravated your ears, I know your pain, I had that experience with the HD 660S2 and had to let go of it due to that, which bummed me out as I really liked that headphone. Odd because the other Hd 6xx headphones didn’t bother my ears.
Agreed on both counts. The T1.3 relaxes into a very enjoyable presentation despite its obvious darkness and bass bias. While bass impact was a bit too much on some tracks, I generally loved it. I had to sell it due to comfort issues that keep creeping up with all Beyer cans for me, a pity.

Same for HD660S2. There's something irritating about its sound, it's very tiring. I much prefer the HD660S which has been good replacement for the T1.3 with a pleasant reference sound.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,706 of 1,855
Agreed on both counts. The T1.3 relaxes into a very enjoyable presentation despite its obvious darkness and bass bias. While bass impact was a bit too much on some tracks, I generally loved it. I had to sell it due to comfort issues that keep creeping up with all Beyer cans for me, a pity.

Same for HD660S2. There's something irritating about its sound, it's very tiring. I much prefer the HD660S which has been good replacement for the T1.3 with a pleasant reference sound.
Yeah it has a unique tuning but it never sounded wrong to me. I’m sorry to hear about the comfort issues. But comfort is such a wild card sadly.

Yeah and it wasn’t obvious what bothered me on the S2, couldn’t pinpoint what the problems was. My HD 660S is a nice compliment to my T1.3.

I have the hd 58x, which I feel is just another flavor of the hd 600/650/6xx, and those pads suck. They deform/degrade really easily.
I modded headphones for about 10 years, I know all about pads. I have zero complaints with the pads that came with my T1.3. BUT I did want a little more treble and air out of them, which I think would have been helped with different pads.
I have a pair of dt880 premium... are the pads they come with similar to the Analytical pads that come with the 1990?
Yeah sadly they do suck but I do find the HD 6xx comfortable but pad longevity is an issue. I gather they changed them to be more durable but I haven’t had my Senns long enough to know for sure. The DT 880 pads are very different than the analytical pads from material to pad venting.

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,708 of 1,855
I just...i mean..... for a TOTL headphone you can't include a balanced cable and 2 sets of pads?
Really?
Here's what I do if I'm the product manager for this set of headphones: I think for 10 minutes about how people will use the headphone and then give them the appropriate gear.
2 cables, 2 different pads, a protective case. It's not hard....
Why does this headphone have a crazy long 3.5 cable?? Makes no sense. Why does it come with a heavy filter in front of the driver and dense pads? Also nonsense. Why do they know the 1990 is tunable with various pads, but somehow the TOTL T 1.3 isn't?
Because balanced is snakeoil aka bs, and 3m cable indicates that the headphones aren't meant for mobile use (which they aren't).

At least T5 could be used on-the-go and as per my understanding, it's equipped with a shorter cable.

Of course headphones can be tuned with pads but if they don't intend for you to do so, then it's down to your own willingness to spend extra to get this feature. Perhaps you can afford to buy extra pads if you're willing to pay $999 for a pair of headphones. Typically luxury cars come with less equipment and has to be upgraded for significant amounts of money. Expensive =/= well equipped in many areas of life.

If you don't like it, return the headphones and buy something else.

Jun 5, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #1,709 of 1,855
Because balanced is snakeoil aka bs, and 3m cable indicates that the headphones aren't meant for mobile use (which they aren't).

At least T5 could be used on-the-go and as per my understanding, it's equipped with a shorter cable.

Of course headphones can be tuned with pads but if they don't intend for you to do so, then it's down to your own willingness to spend extra to get this feature. Perhaps you can afford to buy extra pads if you're willing to pay $999 for a pair of headphones. Typically luxury cars come with less equipment and has to be upgraded for significant amounts of money. Expensive =/= well equipped in many areas of life.

If you don't like it, return the headphones and buy something else.
Well said.

I want to add that the dampers in front of the drivers are an essential part of the tuning, they are there for a purpose. For whatever reason they chose to achieve the desired sound signature this way.

I, for one, am happy I would not pay for a balanced cable in the standard package: it would be completely useless to me. If one needs that cable, it’s readily available at a reasonable price. Or one can choose any third party cable that fits the bill. I don’t see much sense in packaging too many accessories by default, which will just increase the price and will not be used anyway in many cases.

Jun 5, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #1,710 of 1,855
Beyerdynamic keeps their pricing quite low, less than 1k for a flagship headphone with excellent build quality is a very fair move for their customers. I'm certain they could build a fancy 4k headphone with all the jewlery if they wanted to.
It's one of the audio companies where I don't feel ripped of.
Of course it would be cool if they had the option to choose the cable one wants in their online shop.

Balanced is a bother, many DAPs have it as main output so there's little choice even though it doesn't help. I still find 3.5mm a more reliable connection than the small balanced plugs.

Keep it up Beyerdynamic!
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back