Beyerdynamic MMX 300 or Sennheiser PC350
Apr 12, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdchew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing which isn't a problem but I have some concerns about, is the 2 wires which protrude out of the cans on each side. The inverted y-metal frame which holds the cans does press against it from time to time when you remove the headset. None of my prior headsets (Bose, Senns) have this and I'm wondering whether this is a common Beyer design. Any one even had the wires damaged before?

haha... i never thought twice about it. There's really no need to worry about it, though.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha... i never thought twice about it. There's really no need to worry about it, though.

Thats good to know. Cheers!

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #50 of 58
Just ordered a pair of the MMX 300's, but not for gaming...

I run a radio show, and often I'm not in the studio when we have recording sessions. Up to now, I've been required to dial in to a 'caller line,' and monitor the sessions over the telephone.

Now, I'll be using the MMX 300's to dial in on Skype, so I can monitor the sessions with excellent SQ, and talk to the producer and talent over the built-in mic.

Most professional communications headsets are terminated in XLR, 1/4" or in many cases, bare wires...you terminate them according to your needs. But the USB connection will allow me to do the Skype connection straight from the PC.

That's my hope, anyway...has anyone used these headsets with Skype?

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered a pair of the MX 300's, but not for gaming...

I run a radio show, and often I'm not in the studio when we have recording sessions. Up to now, I've been required to dial in to a 'caller line,' and monitor the sessions over the telephone.

Now, I'll be using the MX 300's to dial in on Skype, so I can monitor the sessions with excellent SQ, and talk to the producer and talent over the built-in mic.

Most professional communications headsets are terminated in XLR, 1/4" or in many cases, bare wires...you terminate them according to your needs. But the USB connection will allow me to do the Skype connection straight from the PC.

Thanks!

I have not used the MMX 300 with Skype, but the sound quality over Xbox Live is good (though it's still low bit rate voice so keep that in mind.) Other players online have no problem hearing me, yet do not hear other room / background noise.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

Just ordered a pair of the MX 300's, but not for gaming...

I've used them with Skype and with Ventrilo for gaming. What you need to do is to feed your mic back to you or otherwise it will feel weird talking and not hearing your own voice at all. What I'm trying to say is that these isolate everything around you.

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used them with Skype and with Ventrilo for gaming. What you need to do is to feed your mic back to you or otherwise it will feel weird talking and not hearing your own voice at all. What I'm trying to say is that these isolate everything around you.

Ahhh...excellent point. When I first tried Skype I was using seperate headphones and mic...and just as you said, I could not hear my voice.

How do you feed your mic back to you? Not aware of that technique.

Thanks

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

How do you feed your mic back to you? Not aware of that technique.

In Windows you have 2 levels of volume you need to set when recording.
One is for actual recording level and the other is for monitoring.

I've always found it to be very confusing where to set the monitoring level in Windows; to find it toy around with mixer (volume control - icon on task tray).

Also if you feel that you still don't hear anything you can use mic boost although it makes the sound quality worse and introduces a lot of static noise.

Skype can modify these for you if you allow it to, just check Skype settings.

If you use Xnix I assume you know where to look
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by koshui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Windows you have 2 levels of volume you need to set when recording.
One is for actual recording level and the other is for monitoring.

I've always found it to be very confusing where to set the monitoring level in Windows; to find it toy around with mixer (volume control - icon on task tray).

Also if you feel that you still don't hear anything you can use mic boost although it makes the sound quality worse and introduces a lot of static noise.

Skype can modify these for you if you allow it to, just check Skype settings.

If you use Xnix I assume you know where to look
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you! I appreciate the info!

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #56 of 58
Using the MMX 300's right now, and they are truly excellent.

Sound just like the Beyerdynamic 770's...which I always liked. I'm coming straight out of my work PC, a Dell with the stock sound card. The MMX 300's, plugged straight in, are nothing to write home about. Thin bass, ok sound. But with the included USB sound card? It's like having a little 3Move at my desk! Powerful, deep bass, great mids and highs...and well, everything the 770's should be.

BTW...Beyerdynamic should sell that little USB dongle sound card. It's amazing...like a pocket DAC. I want a couple more! Seriously, I'd like to try it out with my other HP's, and see what it does for them, too.

As for my Skype issue, I discovered that Skype automatically mutes the mic when you hit 'call.' If you open up the control panel's audio settings, and uncheck the microphone's 'mute' box, you can hear your voice perfectly on a call.

I'm looking for a way to make Skype not automatically mute the mic..but until I do, unchecking the 'mute' box is an acceptable workaround.

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #57 of 58
going back to the recording aspect of the MMX 300. I wonder if I need some extra equipment? And what is the benchmark that i would use to compare the MMX to, A blue yeti or an antlion modmic? Finally, how much tweeking would i need to do to increase the performance for rosetta stone? 

Currently using a dv6-7000 quad edition.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #58 of 58
ive had my mmx300 for almost 3 years now. worth every penny, they dont cancel all sound either, i can hear myself talk. and even if you couldnt you learn how to talk normal without hearing yourself. and for the glasses thing, i wear glasses so that was big deal to me as well. ive worn my mmx300 for prolly close to 18+ hours at times. dont even feel the glasses pushing in, granted the first week or so you will, but after the cups start to form around the glasses you never feel it. id say get the mmx300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back