Beyerdynamic MMX 300 or Sennheiser PC350
Jan 3, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 58
I tried the PC350 and they sound very very boring.
The reason is that Sennheiser designed the sound so that you can understand your teammates even during heavy in game fighting.
That resulted in a metallic, bassless sound.

The MMX 300 is awesome for gaming, I'm very happy with them. Awesome bass which makes games and movies a lot more fun and the good soundstage works very well to detect the enemys direction.
The one big downside of the MMX 300 is its high price but you'll know that you have the undisputed king of headsets.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #32 of 58
Its been a long time since I started my quest to compare the PC 350 and MMX 300. After waiting and waiting for the two to be available over here in Singapore, the PC 350 popped finally popped up in stores in Singapore. Also, there was sufficient reviews about the PC 350 and some newer reviews of the Beyer to finally let me make a choice.

I put a deposit down for the Beyer this evening as it is STILL not available in Singapore. The local beyer dealer will be importing it for me and it should be here in 3-4 weeks.

\0/

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #33 of 58
I now speak as owner of both Senn PC350 and Beyer MMX300.

I ordered my MMX300 directly from Beyerdynamic's online shop (custom MANUFAKTUR). Though it took well over a month for them to arrive here in the U.S. from Germany, I'm happy I was patient! (didn't really have a choice!)

While I find them overwhelmingly to be a better headset than the PC350, I can see the competitive purpose in the PC350 and will keep them around for any LAN parties I go to.

Barring that once-in-a-blue-moon rare occasion, in the mean time the MMX300 is on my head and the PC350 lies silently in the closet.
darthsmile.gif

EDIT: BTW, thanks for that reassuring post, king.mark!

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #34 of 58
Thanks for your feedback elliotm. I guess the long wait is finally going to pay off!

By the way, do you use the USB sound card which comes with the Beyer? or are you using another amp?

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #35 of 58
I got the USB sound adapter, but haven't tried it out, yet. My ASUS Xonar D2X has a special Headphone mode that drives the MMX300 well.

The resistance on the MMX300 is 30 ohms while the PC350 is over 100.

EDIT: The ONLY downfall of the MMX300, IMO, is while the mic is very good, there is some background hiss present, while the PC350's mic is much cleaner. However, I've not heard any complaints from those I game with save for one friend who said he noticed a difference only after I asked him.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #36 of 58
Hmm.. interesting information about the mic hiss. Maybe you can try the USB sound card and see whether the hissing is still present?

By the way, I didn't know the PC 350 had an impedence of over 100 Ohms. Could explain the number of reviews out there stating that it had 'weak' bass.

Mar 4, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #37 of 58
the pc350 has 150 ohm impedance. even with amps it has weak bass. the reason is that the speakers are enclosed in very tiny internal cups with no venting. i actually opened mine up and put a few vent holes into the internal cup. the bass has tripled! though the beyers probably still sound better

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #38 of 58
I've sampled both headsets from both sound cards. There's a definite pitch difference in each headset's mic, but more noticeable while on the Xonar D2X mic line.

In any case, it more likely than not will be of little consequence in gaming and voip applications.

You can use WavePad to open all the wavs simultaneously. Click play and then click each sample's window frame to toggle through them.

There's a basic free version of WavePad available for download from its website.
Audio Sound Editing Software - Edit Mp3, Music & All Audio

Download samples
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the pc350 has 150 ohm impedance. even with amps it has weak bass. the reason is that the speakers are enclosed in very tiny internal cups with no venting. i actually opened mine up and put a few vent holes into the internal cup. the bass has tripled! though the beyers probably still sound better

Cool mod! Any pics?
Yes, the MMX probably still sound better.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #40 of 58
w00t! My Beyerdynamics MMX300 arrived on Thursday and my Astro MixAmp has arrived today. I did some initial testing on the MMX300 with my PC and my iPhone and I can say the quality of the sound is really: WOW! I used to have a Senn HD590+Vacuum Tube Headamp but the MMX300 sound quality really blows it away.

So far the microphone output needs to be tweaked to lower its output volume. Else, there will be lots of feedback. Not sure whether it is due to high sensitivity or something.

As for the MixAmp, don't really like the surround sound option but it really works well. Here is how I wire it up.

PC Analog Output -> Speakers (I mute speakers when I use the headset)
S/PDIF optical cable from PC output -> Mixamp (Rear optical in)
MMX 300 (Both mic and audio) -> Mixamp (Using included cable to front input)
Beyerdynamics USB Adaptor audio out -> Mixamp console input (front right input)
Mixamp Mic output -> Beyerdynamics USB Adaptor mic input

Setup Teamspeak/Skype/EVE Voice/Voice Comms to use USB Audio for sound source
Setup Windows XP to use PC Sound card.

So game sounds and music go to the MixAmp via the optical link. The voice applications will output via USB adaptor. This allows me to mix and blend the audio with the game background sounds.

And when I am not using the headset, the audio comes out of my speakers.

So far so good! Crystal clear sounds.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #41 of 58
Nice!
If you do any gaming online, my ID on Steam and other games is 'slaithe'.
L3000.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #42 of 58
Well, if you play EVE Online, you can find me. Its 'sdchew' :p

By the way, the only thing I found annoying about the MMX300 is the stepped mic swivel. Kind of like the smooth pull down/push up action instead of a stepped approached.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #43 of 58
Close to a month since I started using the MMX300 and I thought I'll post some of my thoughts in case some peeps might find it useful.

So far, no complaints about the sound quality. Probably the best sounding headset I owned thus far.

However I do have some usability observations. Thou I like the flexible metal section of the boom microphone that it allows very precise positioning, the actual swivel is geared and isn't very easy to swivel up and down. Guess I'm used to being able to push it up and down very easily like my Senns.

Another thing which isn't a problem but I have some concerns about, is the 2 wires which protrude out of the cans on each side. The inverted y-metal frame which holds the cans does press against it from time to time when you remove the headset. None of my prior headsets (Bose, Senns) have this and I'm wondering whether this is a common Beyer design. Any one even had the wires damaged before?

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #44 of 58
The Y yoke on each side is common if you look at Beyerdynamic's high end product line. No comment from me on its durability since the MMX is the first Beyer headphone I've owned. Whenever I removed them I often grip them by the cups to pull them off my head.

The knotched/geared boom mic swivel does take some getting used to. I basically swivel it by twisting at the base rather than tugging on somewhere along the end of the mic. The flexible metal line does make it easier to slide the mic away from your mouth so you can munch on some snacks during a game.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #45 of 58
Hey Elliotm, good to hear from you again. Yeah I did a quick check and noticed that every single one of the Beyer Premium line uses the same design. So I guess it should be ok considering this design has been out for a number of years. Else, probably hordes of peeps screaming for blood right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back