Beyerdynamic Manufaktur aftersales
Dec 29, 2013 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tan1415

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Just wondering how the aftersales service is for beyerdynamic Manufaktur.
These cans are quite expensive compared with the standard model.

So I wondered how is the aftersales service?
Do you get longer warranty?
Are you able to get aftersales changes done to your headphone?
Like change drivers, cable or new stuff on it?

Asking it, couldn't find any answers to these question when reading the forum.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Sadly I had to make use of this faster than i wanted. The left earcup started to malfunction.
Sound deteriotes till it's gone and than after wiggling on the cable it came back again. According to my more knowledgble friends...it will only get worse.

So I started my odyssee to get it fixed. headphone was ordered late january 2011. So about 2,5 years old when it was delivered. Not heavily used. I will post it here for if other people have the same question or need. Quick search on headfi should help people out.

I went to the beyerdynamic europe website. According to the website I had to contact the local distributors with regard to repairs. There was a consumer and professional distribibutor in the netherlands. So I sent an e-mail regarding my problem to beyerdynamic europe and made a call to the distributors.

Reactions were quite interesting. The consumer one was quite clear and said he doesnt care what the website says, but he will not service my headphone because i didnt buy it indirectly from him. He was very adamant about this on the verge of sounding rude and seemed somehow personally offended. Beside a rant on chinese build headphones I got an explanation that i didnt fully understand. he said that the 32 ohm headphones was not made to use by an amp. And because I did..it has shorted the headphone while iI was plugging and unplugging it while the amp was on.(funny how he deduced this all) When he calmed down he said he was able to fix it for 45€ and that i had to send it in.
To be honest i was hoping for more, but with this place frankly i was afraid to send in the headphone, afraid he will wreck it on principle because i didnt buy it from him. Disturbing reaction.
(Ps Even though the pressure of crossborders buying is understandably rough on local distributors, he should have understood that Manufaktur is only made by Beyer itself in Germany.

The pro distributor reacted differently. Very businesslike, There was no coulance with regard to the warranty. Also I had to send the headphone in via a local store affiliated with the distributor. They had there own technical service and they could fix it. No idea on the price though.

Than after a few hours to my surprise I received an e-mail from the consumer distributor. Beyerdynamics Europe had forwarded my e-mail to him. Agin he stated that for payment he will fix my headphone. When i mentioned that the sound has returned, but unbalanced...he said. If it works it works. Lol.

So i decided to call Beyerdynamics in Germany. Got a very nice lady and she explained that the people for services were not available due to holidays and therefore she forwared my e-mail in hope that I could be helped locally. Because it's not the case she advised me to call 1 week later when everyone has returned.

One week later I called. Was not easy getting through but when i did, i was transfereeed to an english speaking guy who said that it's not good that my headphone malfunctioned and that it interferes with my enjoyment. That got me. The word enjoyment. Somehow I got a feeling he understands what it's all about.
He also mentioned they are not so strict with warranty. He asked me to send him an personal e-mail describing my problem and he will see what can be done. A whole different tone and much more confidence inspiring. Clearly a company that stands behind there product.

Well That's it so far. Will follow through and mention how repairs go. Also will ask whats the possibility to upgrade/exchange drivers etc. When i send it in.   

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 9
thanks for the info

but manufaktur or not, i hope they treat their customer the same(in a perfect world, i think).  either it's a manufaktur headphone user, t1 user or a dtx301 user.  i am a beyer user for a long time and i have a lot of beyer headphones.  no issue with them.  but i probably going need some service from them.  my old dt231(10 year old?) has a cable issue and my 2005 dt880/990 have a sticky head band issue.  and i need a pair of new t1 ear pads.  let see how it goes

Jan 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #8 of 9
  thanks for the info

but manufaktur or not, i hope they treat their customer the same(in a perfect world, i think).  either it's a manufaktur headphone user, t1 user or a dtx301 user.  i am a beyer user for a long time and i have a lot of beyer headphones.  no issue with them.  but i probably going need some service from them.  my old dt231(10 year old?) has a cable issue and my 2005 dt880/990 have a sticky head band issue.  and i need a pair of new t1 ear pads.  let see how it goes

It's true. and totally agree. Are you based in teh USA? Service in theUSA is much better than in europe. Because the distribitors are smaller and seperated by country. Most warranty have to be done by reseller. And teh bigger the reseleler the more coulance you get with warranty. Crazy here.

I wonder if manufaktur they will extend the warranty and coulance towards the customers because you have to pay quite a premium to have them custom build.

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi all.

Finishing my report. I got my headphone back. Took about two weeks.
I paid for shipping to Germany and they did repairs and return shipping free of charge.
Repair was 30 minutes worth. Full service on the phones. The cable was replraced. Now have a 1.50 meter cable instead of 3 m. I ordered a new ear cushions. And they send a new pair...also free of charge. Was the wrong one..but still great service. Outstanding.

I don't know how service is with regard to regular beyerdynamics gear. But it seems the company stands behind the products and are high on customer satisfaction. It's not like in a huge company way like Logitech.(IMO best service company in Europe) But in more intimate fashion.
So I can state no worries when purchasing manufaktur gear. Premium gear, premium price but premium service. Perfect.

Next up..the customer one pro for me or a 880/990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back