Beyerdynamic launches surround headphone system.
Aug 14, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Though, this might be a step in a good direction.

Indeed! From what I know, even a simple HRTF processing with simple head tracking would yield good results for a more frontal presentation, which is quite a step I'd say. We had already surround/wireless phones, but this is something more in the hi-fi direction.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
If it works as advertised, an the electronics are of reasonable quality. But it's a shame it's using ultrasonic tech. in such a simple way. If you are making ultrasonic-ness, why not go the whole way and have it scan the shape and detail of your head and face?

Let's be patient... Now there's hope! Let's see what others manufacturers come out with! They must
biggrin.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #17 of 61
Hi All.
To be a bit more precise, the system simulates a 5.1 speaker setup and captures the headmovements with the ultrasonic trackers, so the soundstage stays stable when you turn your head left/right. It is meant actually for the professional market (studios, Broadcast vans and so on)..
eggosmile.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jramonf
We had already surround/wireless phones, but this is something more in the hi-fi direction.

Dolby Headphone can be very hi-fi - at least as much so as crossfeed - it just takes pairing with a proper hi-fi system. That means no crappy wireless headphones with little D/A converters built in, no puny MOSFET amps that clip all the time, good natural bass response and very little sonic veil.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Dolby Headphone can be very hi-fi - at least as much so as crossfeed - it just takes pairing with a proper hi-fi system. That means no crappy wireless headphones with little D/A converters built in, no puny MOSFET amps that clip all the time, good natural bass response and very little sonic veil.

Sorry, I should have written "there has been one head-tracking system before, which was wireless" (Sony DS8000).

This Headzone is only for stereo source, no? That is, similar to Dolby Headphone with Dolby Pro Logic II. Plus the head-tracking
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
Many people can't define surround in headphones as hi-fi as it modifies the way you listen headphones. For me, I hardly imagine Surround in headphone... in a space so little.

You don't need to use any virtualization circuit for surround purposes. It works just as well with straight stereo. Just as most people who own a 5.1 system will still use plain stereo from time to time (although there are some...).

The soundfield you get from headphones is intrinsically unnatural. You can acclimatize yourself to the unnaturalness so as you don't notice it any more, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's there. Using virtualization no different from all the other techniques that are done to deal with the unnaturalness - angled drivers, diffuse field equalisation, crossfeed, etc - and it has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I think it's the best of the bunch - it's done entirely in the digital domain, there is little added colouration added to the frequency response, you retain full stereo sepperation, it works in line with the principles of your own hearing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jramonf
This Headzone is only for stereo source, no? That is, similar to Dolby Headphone with Dolby Pro Logic II. Plus the head-tracking
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds like Headzone is straight stereo only, although I might be wrong.

Dolby Headphone sounds best with Pro Logic off, by the way, as the added resolving power of headphones makes the weaknesses of DPL more obvious.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #23 of 61
Hummm...No...Actually, the HEADZONE is fully 5.1 capable. I wrote before the HEADZONE simulates a speaker setup which means, you hear "virtual" speakers around you and you can determine clearly the direction where the speakers are located as if they were really there... Listen to it at IFA Berlin, PLASA London, AES San Francisco, IBC Amsterdam.

Aug 15, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by knopfy
Hummm...No...Actually, the HEADZONE is fully 5.1 capable.

Okay.

Quote:

you hear "virtual" speakers around you and you can determine clearly the direction where the speakers are located as if they were really there...

That's what they all say, but in reality the effect is more subtle no matter what virtualization you use.

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #26 of 61
Quote:

I know its hard to believe because of all the former "surround" headphones.
So the best is really to listen to it...

I use DH ever single day with a pair of electrostatic headphones, so it could hardly be said that I don't have a good understanding of the effect.

Aug 15, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo
There is also the system from smyth called smyth virual surround - it uses headtracking and an individual calibartion procedure. There is a picture
and some more info in this thread

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=smyth

- it certainly looks as good as the headzone.

Check it out - and ask for a demo if you can get in contact with the company.

SVS would be great if only it didn't cost so much, and was more readily available. I mean, they still haven't set up their website yet....

Aug 15, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #29 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Dolby Headphone sounds best with Pro Logic off, by the way, as the added resolving power of headphones makes the weaknesses of DPL more obvious.

The simulation of 5.1 from stereo must indeed be tricky, specially for rear channels/speakers. How does this work? What sound information is suppose to come through these rear virtual channels?

I guess for music and coming from a stereo source, it would be better to just simulate front speakers, 2 (2.1), or even better 3 (3.1) (central channel being the mono signal).

Quote:

The HEADZONE is fully 5.1 capable.

Is it 5.1 only ? Or is simple stereo speakers simulation also supported?

Aug 15, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by banjo
There is also the system from smyth called smyth virual surround - it uses headtracking and an individual calibartion procedure.
- it certainly looks as good as the headzone. Check it out.

Or better! Thanks for the information!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back