Beyerdynamic launches surround headphone system.
Aug 14, 2006 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

JensL

100+ Head-Fier
It's called the "Headzone", and looks quite...different.

A press release:
http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Head...73.0.html?&L=1

I must say that I was quite sceptical when I first saw the word "Surround", but reading on this looks like a new approach that just might work. "...ultrasonic-headtracking system..." Oh my.
That DT880 Pro looks quite good, doesn't it?

Anyone going to the fairs where it's presented?

What do you all think about this thingie?

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 61
On the page you linked to I can read "complete freedom of movement" and the word portable is also used. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but that thing does not look very portable to me and shouldn't the headphones be wireless in order to have "complete freedom of movement".

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by lossless
On the page you linked to I can read "complete freedom of movement" and the word portable is also used. Maybe I am misunderstanding something but that thing does not look very portable to me and shouldn't the headphones be wireless in order to have "complete freedom of movement".

Well, the only wireless thing here, is the headtracker, so portability is quite limited when it comes to putting it in a backpack and using it on the bus.
But I guess they're looking at it from a professional studio standpoint. Instead of having only one room the 5.1 speakers is located for mixing, now you can take the Headzone system an use in almost anywhere.

It uses Head Related Transfer Function (HRTF) for simulating the placement of the speakers.

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 61
I like the kind of translucent writing on the DT880 pro.
Sexy!

And the idea itself is not new, but I believe that the Beyer-System will be much cheaper as other similar projects on the market (from unknown firms).
We'll see!

m00h

Aug 14, 2006 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 61
Did some more research, and apparently this is the model meant for the professional market, which means it's most likely quite expensive. The consumer version is coming later, maybe early next year.

Aug 14, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 61
I am struggling to think of a situation where this headtracker would actually be useful. Do people like to pace around and not face the screen while watching movies? Maybe in a full VR environment.

Aug 14, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert
I am struggling to think of a situation where this headtracker would actually be useful. Do people like to pace around and not face the screen while watching movies? Maybe in a full VR environment.

They way the you hear a diffuse sound will be different depending on the direction you're facing. As nobody in the world sits completely still while watching films and listening to music, simulated surround that doesn't use head tracking has an extra layer of unrealisticness about it, which is why they are used.

Sony's DS8000 system which has been around for utterly yonks now has used headtracking since the beginning, so it's not new or exciting technology.

Aug 14, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Sony's DS8000 system which has been around for utterly yonks now has used headtracking since the beginning, so it's not new or exciting technology.

That's interesting.

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 61
To elaborate slightly on what Carl says, most humans uses movement of the head to pinpoint the direction where sounds comes from. As these movements most of the time is very small, it's apparently something we do without knowing it.

It's not new technology, but rumours say that this works quite a bit better than before. The headtracking thingie isn't infrared or gyro-based anymore, it's ultrasonic because it's much faster and creates a more realistic soundfield.

It will be interesting to hear this in real life.

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #11 of 61
Hm, looks quite different, but interesting.

You know what I can't tell. Is the cable going from the headzone box connected to the headphone, or to the stand thing? I would assume the stand has to be plugged in....... so does this mean this is a wireless DT880pro (hm, 880pro.... not just 880).

Interesting to say the least.

Aug 14, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 61
Could Sennheiser finally have a rival for silliest surrounder ever?

surrounder01.jpg

Because the Tubesurround never mounted a proper attack, no matter how stealth-
tubesurround_3.jpg

And that thing on top DOES act like a fan subwoofer, right?
535full.jpg

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7
Hm, looks quite different, but interesting.

You know what I can't tell. Is the cable going from the headzone box connected to the headphone, or to the stand thing? I would assume the stand has to be plugged in....... so does this mean this is a wireless DT880pro (hm, 880pro.... not just 880).

Interesting to say the least.

I don't see any ables at all. Not even from the "T"-typ thing on the top to the drivers.
I think this ist just for cosmetiv reasons for the foto shooting.

Maybe this system will be audible on IFA'06?
I'm pretty excited.
smily_headphones1.gif

m00h

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
To elaborate slightly on what Carl says, most humans uses movement of the head to pinpoint the direction where sounds comes from. As these movements most of the time is very small, it's apparently something we do without knowing it.

It's not new technology, but rumours say that this works quite a bit better than before. The headtracking thingie isn't infrared or gyro-based anymore, it's ultrasonic because it's much faster and creates a more realistic soundfield.

Let's hope the rumours are right.
This is a wired system (standard dt880, and cable is connected to 'headphone out'), so it's promising sound quality wise. And the tracking system is ugly, that's even more promising!
If the head tracking is really subtle along with proper processing, the results would be awesome, I'd imagine.
I for one would like to have the music coming from the front, and not somewhat from the back as I normally experience with headphones
tongue.gif

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 61
So close, yet so far. It uses ultrasonic technology to locate the orientation and distance of the tracker blob that sits above the headband. This will accurately locate where the headphones are in relation to the base station, however does not involve anything more sophisticated in the HTRF realm. It's basically a generic crossfeed with location awareness. If only Beyer (headtracker) would get together with AKG (semi-user-customisable HTRF), borrow an idea or two from HeadRoom's crossfeed circuit (with permission of course...
tongue.gif
), THEN you'd have one seriously believable crossfeed.

Though, this might be a step in a good direction. If it works as advertised, an the electronics are of reasonable quality. But it's a shame it's using ultrasonic tech. in such a simple way. If you are making ultrasonic-ness, why not go the whole way and have it scan the shape and detail of your head and face?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back