Beyerdynamic head band is sticky...
Apr 9, 2008 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Reputator

500+ Head-Fier
So I made a headphone stand out of wood for my DT990s, and after a while I noticed every time I removed them after resting for the night, the headband stuck to the wood, almost like it was adhesive, or had melted to it slightly.

So I placed a piece of cloth between the wood and the head band. Head band stuck to the cloth.

I tried a napkin. Napkin stuck to the hand band in exactly the same way.

No matter what material I try, I end up having to peel them off my DT990s the next morning. And I noticed the "pleather" of the head band is slowly deteriorating as a result of this (there was black residual left on the napkin). The only thing it doesn't stick to is my hair, thankfully.

Anybody else have this issue?

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 15
I am having the same problem. I have the Woo Audio headphone stand, and the black headband has left a residue on the stand. It also tugs at my hair sometimes, depending on how I take them off.

To be honest though, I don't know what to do.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 15
I think Nikongod has had some sticky headphones.
wink.gif

But what did you finish the headphone stand with? The finish is probably what's doing it. Some wood finishes are solvent based or have solvents in them. And even when the finish seems dry to the touch, it can take weeks or months to fully cure depending on the weather and the moisture content of the wood.

First, I'd wipe the headband down with isopropyl alcohol. Not rubbing alcohol, which is fairly dilute. Hit Radio Shack and see if they have any for PCB work. That should get any residue off. Denatured alcohol should work as well, and you can get that at hardware stores.

As for the stand, would you consider stripping and refinishing it? I know you probably worked hard on it, but you don't want it to eat the headband. I'd recommend using only wax as a finish. The stand will hold up fine with wax, and you'd need to apply more every 6-12 months.

Another option is putting a metal plate over the rest. Copper is easy to work and looks good. Worth considering.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 15
I didn't put a finish on it. Too lazy.

Thanks for the great advice. We might have of that alcohol in the house, I'll check.

I'll have to figure out what to put on the stand next.

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi,

I have two Beyerdynamic cans and I do not have this problem, I made some pipe headphone stands which are covered with foam. My other headphone stand is made of PVC pipes sanded with extra fine sand paper. No stickiness.

stand.jpg

DarthsvsDT770.jpg

Apr 9, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 15
Your headband might be pulling sap out of the wood. You'll want to pick up some mineral spirits and wipe down the stand with it. Let dry, and keep doing it. 5-6 applications will dissolve the sap and anything else that might be in the wood. Then I'd give it 3-4 coats of wax. I like Briwax, but there are other good ones. Look for a paste wax in a tin, made from bee's wax. Rub on a light coat with a cloth, let dry and buff off. You can repeat that until you're happy with the look. Your headband will be happy with that, too.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, I'd wipe the headband down with isopropyl alcohol. Not rubbing alcohol, which is fairly dilute.

paradox.jpg

Uh, bit of a paradox here.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reputator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
paradox.jpg

Uh, bit of a paradox here.

AHAHAHA, great one!
50% by volume, but you get 2 for 1.00$

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 15
Sorry to dig up this really old thread.  

I am having the same problem with Woo audio HPS-H stand (black) and my DT-880.  Did anyone have any solution for the Woo stand which is made of Aluminium ?

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Sorry to dig up this really old thread.  

I am having the same problem with Woo audio HPS-H stand (black) and my DT-880.  Did anyone have any solution for the Woo stand which is made of Aluminium ?

Thanks.

Was recently reading through a couple of old classifieds and it seems that this is a recurring problem with the Beyer head bands when they age. My theory? Sweat/natural oils from hair comes into contact with the head band, over time leaves a residue and then corrodes the head band. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Dec 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Ah...how I wish it was just the stand
frown.gif
 !  Thanks for pointing it out guys!

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 15
sticky headphones? what are you guys doing? i know you guys get excited over new headphones, but i didn't know this much :tongue:

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #14 of 15
hmmm
interesting.
mine aren't doing this... yet.

anybody got an item number for the premium headband replacement?
or just use the pro?

i've also noticed that the snap on pro band has changed material over the last few years.
my first 770 pros from like 2005 is different than the ones i bought earlier this year.
andybody else noticed this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back