Beyerdynamic - General Comments?
Mar 2, 2005 at 2:11 PM Post #16 of 22
I read somewhere in this forum that Grados produce quality highs, Senns do gread mids and Beyers do great bass.

Would you agree that Beyers produce good bass? Is there some special technology involved in creating this? How does that affect the other frequencies? Can the strong bass make them tiresome after a while or is it just improving the "sweetness" and "punch" of the sound?

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #17 of 22
DT990
I really liked dt990 bass , but only when properly amped -
It somewhat obscured the midbass/mid region when amped with a casual hp amplifier
If i can recall they were somewhat fatiguing on the long run.
DT531
less heavy bass , but also more sparkling ( a bit edgy sometimes ) highs - didn't get fatigued by the bass

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by paspro
I read somewhere in this forum that Grados produce quality highs, Senns do gread mids and Beyers do great bass.

Would you agree that Beyers produce good bass? Is there some special technology involved in creating this? How does that affect the other frequencies? Can the strong bass make them tiresome after a while or is it just improving the "sweetness" and "punch" of the sound?

Personally I think the Grados have the sweetest mids Evar. And their highs can range from rolled off to sweet to "Grate-o" depending on the model. Senns can have good deep "accurate" bass, but not the booming presence of the DT770 or the Bass Slam of a Grado.

If anything, the Senns have the "sweet" bass, the Grados have the "punch" bass, and the Beyers have the "
evil_smiley.gif
" bass.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #19 of 22
I really appreciate the build quality on the 880's. Nice strong sturdy feel to them. And they come in a nice metal box too!
icon10.gif
I will never forget when I walked into a HI-FI store to try out some CDP's and the store owner wanted to try my Beyer's before I could!
eek.gif

Oh, and they sound wonderfull!

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Vencman
I really appreciate the build quality on the 880's. Nice strong sturdy feel to them. And they come in a nice metal box too!
icon10.gif
I will never forget when I walked into a HI-FI store to try out some CDP's and the store owner wanted to try my Beyer's before I could!
eek.gif

Oh, and they sound wonderfull!

I too appreciate good build quality for headphones (and other stuff) and the beyerdynamic cans I have seen in shops give me the impression that they are really well made with good materials - typical German quality - something which either becomes more and more difficult to find these days or extremely expensive.

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #21 of 22
dt531s, they're reasonably priced, good sound.

the main draw is the fact i can wear them for 12 hours straight no sweat.
whats the point of PERFECT sound if u can't listen to more than 2 hours without your ears aching

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #22 of 22
First beyer: dt531. Nice tonal balance, very much like my favorite 595, with nicer bass although not as defined. Good treble extension and overall detail and restrict listener to analyse ... allowing more music enjoyment.

Always curious on closed Beyers as they're never characterised as 'closed phones'. Heard a friend's dt770-250 and understood the meaning of thin mids. Made a mistake later on by visiting that shop and listened to dt250-250. Wow, closed hd650. Original budget put aside for sr225 disappeared.
wink.gif

At the same time auditioned dt231 ... and almost became Beyer convert. Luckily hd280 saved my soul. So, three out of four Beyers impressed me. I heard good bass on all 4 models, good mids on 231 and 250, and nice non fatiguing highs on all except 770 pro. I wish I can generalise Beyer house sound from those 3, but almost every other Beyers I read here are said to be more bright sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back