beyerdynamic finally emailed me back today...
Sep 19, 2005 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

YngwieJMalmsteen

500+ Head-Fier
I asked them some questions about manufaktur options, pricing, changes to the new line-up etc. Here is their response:
Quote:

Thank you for your E-mail and your request. Kindly excuse our late reply due to the quantity of messages which we have received during the last weeks as feedback on the beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR and the headphone configurator. Please find our answers to your questions below.

For the grill of the DT 880 we decided to offer this only without painting because the real material - stainless steel - shall be stressed. The grill of the DT 990 is an electro-plated part (this explains a part of the model's higher price). We can also imagine to offer this in different colors but first we want to wait and see what customers prefer.

The stainless steel (name) plate is a design element of the headphone. Of course it can be removed (to assure that spare parts can be exchanged easily), but the idea is also to have this individualized with a name or other text.

As the capsules as well as the dimensions inside has been hardly modified compared with the predecessors the sound remains the same or is even better.

The prices now reflect the real differences (unlike the pricing of the old models) and refer to the quality and quantity of the headphones. On one hand the new DT 990 is our top model in terms of sound excellence, on the other hand we produce this model in lower quantities.

The predecessor of the new DT 880 has been equipped with an aluminium box. This has been replaced by an exclusive synthetic leather case for all three models, including a foam case inside. The standard ear cushions remain the same, the headband has changed. However, be assured that spare parts like headband and earpads for your model will still be available within the next years as part of our customer service. In case you need to replace parts please feel free to contact our US distributor.

The headphone configurator (www.beyerdynamic.de/manufaktur) will be available in English language end of September 2005, the configurable headphones will be available end of October 2005. International customers will also be able to order it directly.

We hope we have answered all your questions sufficiently. If you need further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

beyerdynamic GmbH & Co. KG
Michael Ehl
Business Unit Manager Consumer Products

Sounds good, I'll probably be in for some new 990's when they come out with different grill options, and assuming their is a little price break for US customers.
Hmm... end of october, also when meier audio says the k601/701 is coming out... november meet(s) anyone?

Sep 19, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 43
Oooh, very interesting. Thanks for sharing this with us. I wonder who's going to be the guinea pig and get some wild colors.

Sep 19, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 43
It is nice that there is a manufacture that is interested in catering to the needs, and desires of their customers. They even seem interested improving the options made available to the buying public. This seems to be a rare commodity in this day and age of, "if you don't like what we are selling don't buy it" attitude demonstrated by some.

- augustwest

Sep 19, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 43
Did I just read that right. The headphone configurator will be available to international customers too??

*does happy dance*

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
a little confused, it says the sound remains the same or is maybe even better....then says that the 990 is the new top model

if sound really didn't change, why wouldn't the 880 still be on top?

I'm having the same confusion as well. I have always thought that the DT880 is Beyer's top model in terms of sound. DT990 is their much older model that is really an open version of the DT770.

Isn't that so?
confused.gif

SH

Sep 20, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak
a little confused, it says the sound remains the same or is maybe even better....then says that the 990 is the new top model

if sound really didn't change, why wouldn't the 880 still be on top?

That's a good question, I was thinking that the 990 costs more because of the "electro plated part" and because there are less of them made, but then what does he mean by "the new DT 990 is our top model in terms of sound excellence?" The "new" DT 990 sounds like maybe they've changed it somehow.

I'm sure it'll all be sorted out by the time they're available, go ahead and drop them a line on the MANUFAKTUR feedback (don't forget to tell them you want some 990 grill options).

Sep 20, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #8 of 43
When will the stock models be available? Not customized. How'bout the pricing? Will this drive up the current price? Sorry too many questions. Malmsteen, Thanks for clarifying the configuration mode.

Sep 20, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
I'm having the same confusion as well. I have always thought that the DT880 is Beyer's top model in terms of sound. DT990 is their much older model that is really an open version of the DT770.

Isn't that so?
confused.gif

SH

I think that DT770, DT880, DT990 are three "TOP-cans", each for a specific loading of the driver (closed, semi-open, open respectively). I think that the different prices are only dued to commercial reason.
C'mon, there's no reason why the old DT990 and DT880 cost respectively 165 and 225 eur, and for the new ones the DT990 cost more than the DT880 (with Beyer that admits that the sound is the same...)

Anyway, "old" DT990 at 165 eur (the one I have) is a bargain imho.

Andrea

Sep 30, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
I think that DT770, DT880, DT990 are three "TOP-cans", each for a specific loading of the driver (closed, semi-open, open respectively). I think that the different prices are only dued to commercial reason.
C'mon, there's no reason why the old DT990 and DT880 cost respectively 165 and 225 eur, and for the new ones the DT990 cost more than the DT880 (with Beyer that admits that the sound is the same...)

Anyway, "old" DT990 at 165 eur (the one I have) is a bargain imho.

Andrea

Damn right ! Jan Meier can have some more dt990 2003 edition. I'm about asking him to order one for me.

Sep 30, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 43
You know that beyer guy could have just emailed "Leather" and be done with it hehe. End of sept to play with an english custom Beyer site? alright!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back