Beyerdynamic DT990 pro - what can I expect?
Jan 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dave Anderson

New Head-Fier
I normally use a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and I enjoy the sound they produce. I listen to mainly classical music but not exclusively. As I am something of an amateur sound recordist I also own a pair of closed back Beyerdynamic DT250's which I find useful.

Now to my problem. The Sennheisers are getting quite old and I've had some reliability issues with them (they needed a repair last year after the loss of one channel). I have started to really like the sound of my DT250's and they compare surprisingly well to the HD600's.

I am looking for an alternative open backed set of headphones for general use. I am attracted to the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro model but am not quite sure what to expect. If they are anything like my DT250's but with a more open sound then I think I'll like them. I am also hoping to gain some improvements in comfort.

The DT990 pro suits my budget and seems to offer what I want. I am tempted to jump in and buy a pair but how will they compare to my Sennheiser's? Any views or comments will be much appreciated.

Dave.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 8
  I normally use a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and I enjoy the sound they produce. I listen to mainly classical music but not exclusively. As I am something of an amateur sound recordist I also own a pair of closed back Beyerdynamic DT250's which I find useful.
Now to my problem. The Sennheisers are getting quite old and I've had some reliability issues with them (they needed a repair last year after the loss of one channel). I have started to really like the sound of my DT250's and they compare surprisingly well to the HD600's.
I am looking for an alternative open backed set of headphones for general use. I am attracted to the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro model but am not quite sure what to expect. If they are anything like my DT250's but with a more open sound then I think I'll like them. I am also hoping to gain some improvements in comfort.
The DT990 pro suits my budget and seems to offer what I want. I am tempted to jump in and buy a pair but how will they compare to my Sennheiser's? Any views or comments will be much appreciated.

The Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones are full bass and full treble, which slightly over shadows the mids, but the mids are clear.
Also the DT990 needs to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 8
I have the opportunity to buy either the 80 ohm or 250 ohm versions, both at the same price. I don't, at present, have a headphone amp and am unsure which impedance version to choose. I have no real trouble driving my HD600's which I understand are 300 ohm. My DT250's are 80 ohm and there is no discernible difference in output between the two models I have.

If I were to buy a headphone amp would the Little Dot 1+ model be a suitable partner for the DT990's? Again I have looked at various models but the Little Dot seems to offer good performance at a reasonable price.

I appreciate the comments so far. The reference to strong bass and higher frequencies does not deter me too much. I like listening to church organ music (i.e. J.S. Bach, Buxtehude etc.) and an articulate bass response would be a desirable feature. As to high frequency response, I don't want sibilance but clarity is important. I am on the wrong side of 50 and my hearing is probably not as good as when I was 21. Some of the recordings I will be listening to are speech recordings so the headphones I choose need to be good at reproducing the human voice.

When I listen to my Sennheiser's everything seems to sound 'nice'. I will keep the HD600's because they are lovely. The DT250's expose bad recordings but make good recordings sound stunning to me. This difference between the two bothers me. I guess what I'm looking for is a more honest portrayal of the variation between recordings in my collection.

Dave.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm thinking about getting the DT990 250ohms pro version.  It's < $150 at amazon.com now.  It's a good deal.
I have an old pair of Yamaha YST-M15 PC speakers that's not in use.  Is it enough to act as the amp for DT990?
The spec said output is 900 ohms.

Any help is appreciated.

Specifications

TypeBass-reflex enclosure / Yamaha Active Servo Technology
Output Power10 w/ch. (1 kHz., 4 ohms @ 10% THD)
Input Sensitivity230 mV (1 kHz., 4 ohms @ 10 W)
Input Impedance25 k ohms
Frequency Response70 to 20 kHz + or - 3 dB
Speaker1 x 8 cm (3") full-range cone, magnetic shielding
Tone ControlUp to 7 dB cut/boost at 10 kHz
Output Impedance900 ohms
Output Level0.6 V (at 230 mV input)
Power SupplyDC 14 V
DimensionsW 94mm (3 11/16") x H 245mm (9 5/8") x D 155mm (6 1/8")
WeightRight: 1 kg (2 lbs 3 oz) Left: 0.8 kg (1 lb 12 oz)
Compatibility - computerComputer (PC or Mac) with audio output from soundcard, motherboard, CD-ROM
Compatibility - otherCD player, tape player, AM/FM radio, TV, electronic keyboard with audio output

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 8
My DT990 Pro 250 ohm work well with my Schiit Magni (only $99 dollars for the amp)  A little bright but the bass is a nice change from my HD598s which are like the complete opposite in sound signature.

You can expect a nice soundstage as expected from an open headphone, great bass, and of course the slightly overdone treble but a bit of EQ can fix this.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 8
I own a DT990, and yes the treble and bass is accentuated, but the mids are still great!

However, I cannot emphasize this enough. You need a good amp + high quality source files in order for them not to sound sibliant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back