Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO vs AKG K-701 for mainly gaming usage
Jun 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HyperBlue

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been struggling with a decision which is where to get a Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO or a AKG K-701, the primary use of which will be gaming 70% (all genre of games), music 20% (mainly dubstep, alternative modern rock and some pop) and films 10%. I will be purchasing these headphones with the Asus Xonar DGX and a headphone amp which I am not sure about yet. My priorities for these headphones will be an immersive gaming experience so good bass is a must, however I also want to play competitively which will require good positional audio, but I still want an immersive experience>positional audio however only by a bit.

So what do you think would be the best out of the two?

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 10
ive had the K701 and its brilliant, light-weight and really comfy, but for gaming primarly id say you should go with something more in the ways of a 7.1 Razor or possibly a G35 Logitech, they are buildt for gaming and are both closedback headphones.. just my thoughts.. im currently rocking the Razer Tiamat 7.1 Elite 7.1 Surround for gaming and a Grado Gs1000i with M-dac for music and im loving both

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 10
You should consider the fact that both are open type. So if you are planning to use them for multiplayer games, others might hear the leaking sound. You are also excluding the option of a mic, that gaming headsets have.

I also game quite a lot, which has me thinking. Why would you need high fidelity headphones for gaming?

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
I don't mind about the sound leakage, I am going to buy a desktop mic, and gaming won't be the only use for the headphones.

Neither have i listened to or owned them. What i can tell you (based on what i read) is that the dt990 are very bass heavy and have recessed mids. I think that recessed mids are quite common in the beyerdynamic lineup. On the contrary the k701 has very detailed mids and is quite lacking in bass.

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Neither have i listened to or owned them. What i can tell you (based on what i read) is that the dt990 are very bass heavy and have recessed mids. I think that recessed mids are quite common in the beyerdynamic lineup. On the contrary the k701 has very detailed mids and is quite lacking in bass.

So the DT990 is a more immersive experience?

Thanks for the input.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
So the DT990 is a more immersive experience?

Thanks for the input.

I used to play halo and i dont see how anything else other than a wide soundstage would result into a better in game - immersion. You dont need extra bass or detailed mids to hear gunshots or footsteps in call of duty.  So i suppose both are well suited for gaming since open type headphones do have a wide soundstage.

So decide based on the music that you like. Bass is very critical for dubstep but the mid frequencies are very critical for alternative rock.

P.S. Wide soundstage means that you can understand the direction that the sound is coming from.

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

I used to play halo and i dont see how anything else other than a wide soundstage would result into a better in game - immersion. You dont need extra bass or detailed mids to hear gunshots or footsteps in call of duty.  So i suppose both are well suited for gaming since open type headphones do have a wide soundstage.

So decide based on the music that you like. Bass is very critical for dubstep but the mid frequencies are very critical for alternative rock.

P.S. Wide soundstage means that you can understand the direction that the sound is coming from.

I think I will go with the DT990 pro, the only concern I have is the complaints with the build quality.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 10
I shall be purchasing the DT990's thanks a lot guys, not to choose an amplifier (if anyone can help I have a budget of £80, I can stretch this to £100 if need be).

I have heard the O2 is a good amplifier, however, I cannot locate it anywhere for £100, any ideas?

Also the fiio 10 comes up a lot, not sure about this.

And finally people say I need an amplifier and a dac, what is the difference (if you can offer examples of products).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back