Beyerdynamic DT990 good for movies?
Jul 9, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 23
i use the dt 990 600 ohms for games movies and music. it does a better job for surround sound dolby compared to grado sr60, alessandro ms2i... 

sorry haven't heard the 32 ohm version but if you will also be listening to audio wouldn't you like to get the 600 ohm version instead? this way all your bases are covered...

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #18 of 23
What source do you run these out of when you're watching movies?  I wonder if my Yamaha receiver without an external amp hooked up would be sufficient to drive a 600 ohm headphone properly?

Quote:
i use the dt 990 600 ohms for games movies and music. it does a better job for surround sound dolby

I had just assumed that the DT990 would be a better quality headphone for soundstaging of movies and games. 

Quote:
How about the DT770/80?

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
What source do you run these out of when you're watching movies?  I wonder if my Yamaha receiver without an external amp hooked up would be sufficient to drive a 600 ohm headphone properly?

I can't speak for all Yamaha receivers, but my slightly older one (HTR-5830), not even a high end model, promises to push 400mV/470ohms, and while I don't really get the whole voltage thing entirely, it does a fine job of driving all my headphones.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #20 of 23
i use my pc and asus xonar d2 soundcard. from the xonar window, i use 6 channels and dolby headphone :)

i use vlc / media player classic to play the movies :)

i cannot comment on the yamaha receiver as i haven't tried one yet. it might work :)

if it doesn't, the next upgrade should be a better amp... i hope the yamaha can do it... i know someone who uses a receiver to drive his high end headphones with good results :)

Quote:

Jul 11, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #22 of 23
yes, but get the 600ohm version.

I use Dolby Headphone(DH2), Blu-Ray material, Little Dot DAC_1 and the Mark 3 tube amp when i watch movies with the 990's.  It is unimaginably surreal how well these cans do for movies( especially for subtle horror, thriller/action flicks)

It does impact bass, sub-bass, deep bass, low bass, high bass(sorry if I'm exaggerating a bit 
biggrin.gif
),  VERY VERY VERY NICE whilst still retaining all of its 3-dimensional subliminal pin-point soundstage qualities.  The only negative i can think of... is in some bad-encoded videos, the mids seem scooped [disaligned is the better word]  but that's just the beyer's revealing the flaws of poorly produced audio bit-rate. 

It basically has the whole package for movie viewing,  you just gotta have the equipment necessary for these to really shine. I plan on having these babies re-cabled with Moon Audio's black dragon & a possible Woo Audio 2 or WA6 in the near future.  <3 the beyer 990's       

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 23
hey, maruzen, you said that you use the Xonar Essence for your dt990s on 6 channel for movies? How does that work for you. Can this card alone handle these headphones?  There's no way you can bypass your Xonar to your little dot tube amp and still have those 6 channels surround sound for the movies?

And once again, I'm going to have to say X2 to David's post about how crazy-good the dt990 do with dolby headphone and blue ray audio. Although, I don't really care much about the DT990's for music, today when i re-watched Jurrasic Park. Never have i been so petrified in my entire life. The thumps and chases with the dinosaur took engaging to another level. 6 or 8 channel surround sound is a must when you watch blue ray. It is a MUST !

I also tried the Senn HD650's which i absolutely love for music..... but for Jurrassic Park,  they just don't possess the bass,  wide soundstage and realism effect that the dt990 do really really good at. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back