Beyerdynamic DT990 Ed/Pro discussion + impressions
Apr 11, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #31 of 43
The only data I saw on that mod was from a video that one of the headphone youtube guys did where he modded his DT-770s - the before and after makes me concerned that it might not be a good move for the DT-990 unless you REALLY like bass. Like, a lot. I do not think the DT-990 are bass light to begin with, and that may be especially true if the Black version are warmer than the standard ones were (like with the DT-880 Black version). That said, I'm just extrapolating from how they changed the sound measurements from the DT-770s in that one video, so I can't claim any personal experience with the mod at all, maybe I'm missing the mark.

Edit: Thanks to Surf Monkey for posting a more relevant video specific to the DT-990, the before and after there looks better.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #32 of 43
The only data I saw on that mod was from a video that one of the headphone youtube guys did where he modded his DT-770s - the before and after makes me concerned that it might not be a good move for the DT-990 unless you REALLY like bass. Like, a lot. I do not think the DT-990 are bass light to begin with, and that may be especially true if the Black version are warmer than the standard ones were (like with the DT-880 Black version). That said, I'm just extrapolating from how they changed the sound measurements from the DT-770s in that one video, so I can't claim any personal experience with the mod at all, maybe I'm missing the mark.

Here’s the DT990 video:

It includes before and after graphs.

Apr 11, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #34 of 43
The before and after there looks more pleasing. Maybe the issue with the DT-770 has to do with its closed back and bass port!

I look forward to hearing what jolivhires thinks when he tries it out :)

That was kind of my take as well. I haven’t done this mod on my DT990 but I’ve seriously considered it. It’s non destructive and reversible.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #35 of 43
The before and after there looks more pleasing. Maybe the issue with the DT-770 has to do with its closed back and bass port!

I look forward to hearing what jolivhires thinks when he tries it out :)
That might take still some time as I don’t have news when shipped. Been in fact targeted with bad luck- the first 990pro’s were returned with faulty cable, my Hiby R3 III is delayed for more than 2 weeks thanks to UPS screw up shipping (parcel has been bouncing between Switzerland and Germany more than 6 times) so I could properly test with an appropriate power output. I just tested the “grey” 990’s for about 1/2 hour connected to my laptop but from memory they were different yes - Though now I’m testing with Tidal / iPhone with my Ifi Go Link dac - and that could be one of the reasons of the different SS… I would say more bass friendly (enough bass I would say probably doesn’t need the mod kit) and more overall presence. I will run a more detailed comparison with my Meze 99 C later today. As expected, I have to push volume on iPhone to 90% and above for these 250ohm. Another thing: they are awesome beautiful all black 😁. I’ll post more impressions with more testing.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #36 of 43
Allow me to suggest these tracks for (1) bass and mid/upper mids and (2) (3) for positioning/ staging hearing/test. I feel enough bass on the black 990’s Lim. Ed. 250.

Attachments

• IMG_5688.jpeg
    IMG_5688.jpeg
    734.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5689.jpeg
    IMG_5689.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5691.jpeg
    IMG_5691.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #37 of 43
Meze 99 classics [32 ohm] with Brainwavz PU leather Earpads against BD DT990 [250 ohm] black limtd ed - environment - my 66 year old ears ( limited to <11.5KHz), Tidal as source, DAC ifi GoLink via lightning connection to iPhone XS Max - definitely the BD wins in breathing sound much more staging and detail on highs, warmer bass. The Meze’s more bassy (sometimes bit punchy over my preference), perfect mids / up to lower highs, less presence / staging as expected from closed build. No EQ used - and unavailable from Tidal ==> DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #39 of 43
This thread tempted me into buying a dt990 edition 600 again, just plugged it in and started listening. I had reduced my collection to Amiron Home and HD650 and was proud of this achievement, now headfi ruined my plan to get out of the buying habbit.
But I wanted something that works nice with movies.

dt990 is still bright, -5db treble shelf helps nicely, it still has some sparkle but sounds pleasant. I started to appreciate the Beyer sound a while back, it makes for a fantastic smooth and natural midrange. Less forward than Sennheiser (which is great, too). It's very engaging and makes me forget any audiophile traits like details or microthings and whatever. In a way it sounds majestic, sound and music everywhere, big stage.
I came to like bass with the Amirons. At the beginning I tried to reduce the bass with EQ because it was warm and thick and boomy. Eventually I skipped EQ and got used to bass, now I can't get back. I think the dt990 bass is excellent, too. Right on spot. Very satisfying.
Depeche Mode - 101 live. Wow I'm there, right in the middle of the arena.

Looking forward to hear if this breaks in.

VS Amiron, Amiron is warmer and has less treble. No need for EQ for me. dt990 a bit more forward and shouty with -5dt treble (not in a bad way, just different).

May 2, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #40 of 43
I use a dt990 250ohm as my daily driver most of the working week. I do eq some of the highs down to make them less fatiging for music listening. I generally use my laptop>shiit bifrost2>shiit valhalla2 amp and it gives me a nice euphonic listen. I own far more expensive headphones (stellia, liric, t1, t5, elex, aeon closed x) but I love how light and comfortable these are. Nice and open sounding too

Sep 9, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #41 of 43
My Custom Cans V3 moded DT990pro came back. Very happy with the result. It has now become my second favourite HP in my collection overtaking the HD58x . The senny is still more versatile and better without eq out of the 2....but i like the DT990 more. Its V shape works great for classic jazz .

After the mod, the sound signature didn't change much. The bass quality increased,more slamm/thump but the quantity is about the same...for those who were worried .The treble is just a bit smoother...i love it but I'm a treble lover. It's a great mod.
IMG_20230909_093527.jpg

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #43 of 43
I have the 250 OHM version of the DT 990 Pro. I've been using them plugged into my keyboards so I can practice quietly and they have been great. I recently picked up a Schiit Magni/Modi stack with the intention to listen to some music but also use them to mix my music. I'll say this

The 990 pro are the best headphones I have heard in the price bracket by a MILE. The Sennheiser 560s and 58x were incredibly boring and lifeless in comparison. As with any headphones I think it's really worth it to give them some good EQing and these benefit greatly as well. It's got a really nice bass to it that makes heavy attacks sound powerful and really energetic. Sub bass rumbles get your ears tingling, and the detail is just absolutely incredible. I've heard several headphones much more expensive that don't have as much detail in them. The soundstage isn't large but it still feels spacious. The imaging is detailed and tracks well especially in panning sounds. They have hit well with ANY genre of music I've thrown at them. They absolutely shine with orchestral and really high quality productions that have tons of seperate instruments. They sound powerful with metal guitars, Pop music makes you move, it's all there. Just incredibly impressive for a sub $200 pair of headphones and this is all with an entry level Amp/Dac stack.

I blame the 990s for getting me back into audiophile equipment. I had sold all my gear a year or two back for reasons and recently got back in. I already have an upgrade coming for my Magni/Modi which I'll have this week (Midgard and Modius, nothing too crazy) and I'm in the process of buying the 1990s. The 990s have quickly made me a fan of Beyerdynamic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back