Beyerdynamic DT990 Ed/Pro discussion + impressions
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #16 of 43
Love to hear how you find them if you do :)

I am not a big burn-in believer (tend to be one of those who puts the "burn-in" more on our own sensory system, and our brain getting used to it, plus longer term slight wear on parts & pads changing the sound mildly in time) - but I do feel that these had a different sound initially than after they'd had some driver excursion. I don't think it's a "run it for 24 hours before you listen" kind of thing but maybe one song with some bass action at volume enough to get 'em going would kick it in gear. Don't want to prejudice you there though, maybe it's in my head :beyersmile:
I think a transducer does change with playing. I have the MFSL hybrid SACD of Run DMCs Raising Hell that is the perfect disc. I not a hip hop guy but I collect MFSL and this disc turned out to be a real demo disc. You play this disc through any speaker or headphone and they get a workout :)

Mar 29, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #17 of 43
I think a transducer does change with playing. I have the MFSL hybrid SACD of Run DMCs Raising Hell that is the perfect disc. I not a hip hop guy but I collect MFSL and this disc turned out to be a real demo disc. You play this disc through any speaker or headphone and they get a workout :)

On a “large” speaker (compared to IEM and earbud speakers) burn in is more credible. Every pair of full sized headphones I’ve ever bought changed character in the first couple hours.

Mar 31, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #21 of 43
The Beyer kick continues...! I'm getting a set of DT-900 PRO X (should be here middle of next week) to compare them to the DT-990 Edition and see what I think about a much newer Beyer driver & headphone with similar goals. Should be interesting :)
The DT 900 Pro X is quite nice honestly, definitely still a Beyer, but definitely different as well. If you haven't tried the Amiron Home yet, I would give that a spin too as they can be found for around $300 new and is the cheapest way to try out the Tesla Beyer drivers. The Amiron Home is probably the most comfortable Beyer you can buy.

The DT 990 Pro was my very first Beyer and my first good headphone, I do kind of miss them, I sometimes think I should get another pair sometime.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #22 of 43
We have some similar tastes kman1211, I've got and am a fan of the ATH-A990Z and HD-660S also, and while I don't have those AKGs I adore my AKG K712 and Q701 :) Glad to hear you liked the DT-900 Pro X, suggests perhaps I might really like them also!

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #23 of 43
We have some similar tastes kman1211, I've got and am a fan of the ATH-A990Z and HD-660S also, and while I don't have those AKGs I adore my AKG K712 and Q701 :) Glad to hear you liked the DT-900 Pro X, suggests perhaps I might really like them also!
Yeah, love both the A990Z and the HD 660 S. Honestly the A990Z is criminally underrated, excellent dynamics, great soundstage, great sense of clarity, and one of rare closed-backs that sounds pretty much open. Loved the K712, honestly miss them, the K612 has it's own benefits but did prefer the K712. The DT 900 Pro X does change up the form factor so will fit differently than the other Beyers.

Sound wise, what I noticed first about the DT 700/900 Pro X drivers (Stellar.45) is their quick transients to my ears. I didn't get a good feel on how they scale with gear though so can't say how the drivers compare overall to say the Rapid Reflex (DT 880, 990, etc.), Tesla drivers, or the freakishly resolving DT 48/480 drivers. I haven't heard the DT 100 driver (only dynamic driver family of Beyer I haven't heard, don't know their name sadly) nor have I heard the Beyer estat from the 1970's. I've listened to a lot of Beyers, so can answer a lot of questions in regards to them, though I need to refresh my memory on the DT 880/990. I generally prefer the warmer and darker sounding Beyers but I like both the warmer/darker ones and the brighter/leaner ones.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #24 of 43
I fully agree that the 990Z is a great headphone at the price and sounds much less closed than most closed headphones. I've been a fan of that line from AT since I had the A900 back in my college years, and decided I'd check out their descendant last year. Glad I did too.

I'm excited to check out the differences between the 600ohm Editions and the DT-900 Pro X. I've been using the others exclusively since I picked them up, not to slight my other cans but I really click with the sound signature & stage and listening with them is a pleasure. My feeling remains that I like the DT-880's default sound better as I favor its balance, but with EQ the DT-990 can be quite balanced sounding also, but still retain a "fun" factor and lower frequency oomph that distinguishes them from the DT-880. But, when it comes to the midrange accuracy the DT-880 prevails - EQ is powerful but you still have to play to the innate strengths of the driver/enclosure/etc. for best results, IMO.

Tracking info suggests the DT-900 Pro X will deliver tomorrow, so I'll be checking 'em out soon I hope!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 43
I fully agree that the 990Z is a great headphone at the price and sounds much less closed than most closed headphones. I've been a fan of that line from AT since I had the A900 back in my college years, and decided I'd check out their descendant last year. Glad I did too.

I'm excited to check out the differences between the 600ohm Editions and the DT-900 Pro X. I've been using the others exclusively since I picked them up, not to slight my other cans but I really click with the sound signature & stage and listening with them is a pleasure. My feeling remains that I like the DT-880's default sound better as I favor its balance, but with EQ the DT-990 can be quite balanced sounding also, but still retain a "fun" factor and lower frequency oomph that distinguishes them from the DT-880. But, when it comes to the midrange accuracy the DT-880 prevails - EQ is powerful but you still have to play to the innate strengths of the driver/enclosure/etc. for best results, IMO.

Tracking info suggests the DT-900 Pro X will deliver tomorrow, so I'll be checking 'em out soon I hope!
Yeah it's honestly quite hard to find good closed-backs at that price.

I'm curious what your thoughts are and which you think is ultimately better. Some headphones you really click with, it's honestly how I am with Beyers in general, they tend to just click with me better than most other headphones. I haven't ever owned an DT 880 600 Ohm. I had a DT 880 250 Ohm black edition, but I found out those aren't tuned the same as the Pro or Edition DT 880's. I've owned a couple DT 990's though.

Apr 5, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #28 of 43
Yeah it's honestly quite hard to find good closed-backs at that price.

I'm curious what your thoughts are and which you think is ultimately better. Some headphones you really click with, it's honestly how I am with Beyers in general, they tend to just click with me better than most other headphones. I haven't ever owned an DT 880 600 Ohm. I had a DT 880 250 Ohm black edition, but I found out those aren't tuned the same as the Pro or Edition DT 880's. I've owned a couple DT 990's though.

You need to make your own dt880 600 PRO XD.

I'm similar in that some beyers just click, and others for one reason or another might bug me a little. I will say with the 990, it was never as sweet as the 880.250 ED . That is why I tested it as fully open and with dekoni elite velour, it presents itself as more linear (relatively speaking) vs that classic V (which I think is good for pro applications), but 880 overall for music listening.

As for closedback , beside the 48,480, 770.80, dt150, dt100 (2kohm), tesla5P.II, the 660 was a real banger. But it had that horrid ultrasone headband.

53863.jpg

I would imagine the drivers could be transferred into a 770 shell perhaps. They have a bass reflex system IIRC, but it's a very neutral presentation with nothing sticking out.

Apr 5, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #29 of 43
DT-900 Pro X have landed. I let 'em breathe for a couple hours with some aggressive material at a volume I'd have been quite uncomfortable listening at but which was still very much below their rated power handling, just to be past any initial differences, and since then I've had them on listening to some favorite material that I know well.

I'm using my Schiit stack - Magni+, Modi+, Loki Mini+. I'll say right off the bat, these are incredibly easy to drive headphones and likely do not have any substantial amplification requirements to speak of, as others have stated quite plentifully and as Beyer emphasizes when talking about the Stellar.45 drivers as well. That's in very sharp contrast to the 600ohm Edition headphones, which do need amplification and I reckon scale with the amp's ability to provide good voltage under demanding conditions (but which are doing well from my little stack, gratefully - I feel like they lose more than just volume going to a voltage starved source, like the headphone out from one of my USB audio interfaces for example).

Initial impression of their overall frequency response tuning is very favorable. The frequency response makes me think of using a good studio monitoring setup. They're still brighter in the treble than my Senns and I'd be shocked to find otherwise, honestly, being Beyer cans. Bass has great extension and feels strong. Distorted guitar sounds great on them, percussion has the qualities I expect in terms of accurate but also exciting reproduction. Vocals sound accurate, maybe slightly airy depending on the recording but not troubling or sibilant. The drivers seem very fast and well controlled overall, which I believe is what they were going for with the longer voice coil & overall design here. I don't find the 600ohm DT-880/DT-990 deficient in that regard, by the way, they're quick and accurate especially when amplified, but achieving similar or even superior performance in that regard with these very easy to drive cans is impressive for sure. And I do think these DT-900 Pro X show superior performance, especially when listening closely for things like how distinctly audible individual parts of doubled vocal tracks are during busy passages in a dense mix, while also listening for the pick attack on a guitar part mixed really low & blending into a synth passage. With the DT-900 Pro X, I can hear all of that distinctly. I was able to discern some details in a very familiar track that I had not heard so clearly before, always cool - I think these will be useful in the studio.

They're notably less open-backed than the DT-880/990, with more apparent sound isolation coming in, but they still leak audio quite freely out. I reckon part of the improved isolation is due to the considerably more forceful clamp plus the more conforming & isolating foam on these versus the DT-880/990. Putting them on day one, the DT-880/DT-990 Editions with their low clamping force and soft pads are more comfortable (to be fair, they also stand out among all the cans I've owned). I expect the clamp to lessen slightly as the physical parts of the headphone get more worn in. The overall build is very sturdy and they creak way less than the 880/990 Edition with head movement. I like that Beyer included a short cable among the two removable cables (also a nice touch vs. the fixed cables on the 880/990 Edition).

Positional audio is less wide than the DT-880 or especially the DT-990. There is more of an intimate presentation overall which is an interesting pairing with the still quite forward sound (akin to a narrow field made of closely positioned nearfield monitors, where stereo detail is still fully discernible and the mix has relative space, but not as wide as it can get with mid-field or farther monitoring). Positional audio is still accurate, though, nice and easy to get a relative sense of where things are panned, but I think I'm gonna give the soundstage advantage to the 600ohm Editions. I wonder how much of that has to do with their lesser clamp, maybe the drivers are farther away - not sure, but they have what I would consider a very good conventional headphone soundstage with quite accurate positioning and detail. Not as wide as some others that truly specialize in that but nonetheless very good. Not sure how I consider the DT-900 Pro X there, I would not call them deficient in this either as there are moments when certain mix elements will really leap apart depending on what all is going on sonically at that time, but generally it's a closer spread overall than their forebears.

I think these feel more like a DT-880 descendant than a DT-990 one, to me. The midrange presentation and treble emphases differs substantially from the DT-990 Edition, and low frequencies are powerful but leaner than the (nicely!) hyped DT-990. But then again, DT-900 Pro X is only 20 more than 880, as opposed to 90 away from 990. I'm overthinking this, haha.

I have a lot more listening to do before I consider any of my thoughts final here but I don't feel the DT-880/990 are totally outclassed here overall; they do perhaps begin to show their age in some particulars, but they are still strong performers and offer excellent value. But the DT-900 Pro X are pretty impressive to me :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back